• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kobe Bryant: College hoops 'really isn't teaching players anything'

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By Matt Norlander

It should not surprise you to learn that Kobe Bryant, who did not spend one minute in a college classroom as a scholarship athlete, believes college basketball is not necessary for many players to earn their keep in the NBA.

It's not a groundbreaking opinion, but given the mouth it's coming from, it's of course notable. And also fairly strong. Bryant outright dismisses college basketball as a teaching tool for any player good enough to be a first-round draft pick, essentially. Let's go to the transcription of what he says.

Read on

Kobe Bryant: College hoops 'really isn't teaching players anything' - CBSSports.com

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess the hard part is where he says any player that's a first round pick. Michael Carter Williams and Dion Waiters are great examples. They spent two years at SU and both went very high in the draft.

So Kobe believes both would have been fine going straight to the NBA. Both those guys were very immature when they got to SU.

I guess he's saying their NBA skills would be further along....I'm fine there...but that's not how it is coming across.

NDHoosier101

Reigning "Last to post" Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it would have been best for Victor Olidapo if he didn't play CBB, if anything, the 3 years he spent in college kept him from being the number one overall pick. :rolleyes:

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if anything players should be required to stay in CBB longer than just 1 year. It was watering down the NBA and its making CBB less attractive knowing these guys are jumping ship after one year.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it would have been best for Victor Olidapo if he didn't play CBB, if anything, the 3 years he spent in college kept him from being the number one overall pick. :rolleyes:

I couldn't tell you if he would have gone one in the draft straight out of high school or not.

But I can't fault the NBA for not wanting to deal with children with large sums of money. Some of these kids may have monster bodies, but their brain just isn't there yet.

NDHoosier101

Reigning "Last to post" Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I couldn't tell you if he would have gone one in the draft straight out of high school or not.

But I can't fault the NBA for not wanting to deal with children with large sums of money. Some of these kids may have monster bodies, but their brain just isn't there yet.

Sorry, was being completely sarcastic haha. Victor was a nobody 2 star recruit coming out of high school. Athletic, but unless he was dunking the ball he couldn't score.

I think student athletes should have to stay at least three years. Maybe pretend they're there for an education.

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Jonvi he was being extremely sarcastic on that one because Victor wouldn't have even sniffed the draft out of high school, let alone the number one pick.

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, was being completely sarcastic haha. Victor was a nobody 2 star recruit coming out of high school. Athletic, but unless he was dunking the ball he couldn't score.

I think student athletes should have to stay at least three years. Maybe pretend they're there for an education.

haha what he said

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NBA players should be able to go straight out of high school or choose to go to college. If they choose to go to college, they have to stay for 2 years.

The NBA and college ball are 2 different games. You dont learn to play in the NBA when you play college ball. You learn to play college ball. But you also go to college and learn to become a man.

The NBA has a d-league. Players should have a choice.

Midwest2k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By Matt Norlander

It should not surprise you to learn that Kobe Bryant, who did not spend one minute in a college classroom as a scholarship athlete, believes college basketball is not necessary for many players to earn their keep in the NBA.

It's not a groundbreaking opinion, but given the mouth it's coming from, it's of course notable. And also fairly strong. Bryant outright dismisses college basketball as a teaching tool for any player good enough to be a first-round draft pick, essentially. Let's go to the transcription of what he says.

Read on

Kobe Bryant: College hoops 'really isn't teaching players anything' - CBSSports.com

So I guess we should just ignore the Quality education that the majority of these players are getting right..yea that wont teach them anything...like how to manage all that money they will eventually waste. Oh well

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NBA players should be able to go straight out of high school or choose to go to college. If they choose to go to college, they have to stay for 2 years.

The NBA and college ball are 2 different games. You dont learn to play in the NBA when you play college ball. You learn to play college ball. But you also go to college and learn to become a man.

The NBA has a d-league. Players should have a choice.

I like this. Absolutely right, if you want to go to the NBA out of HS, so be it, let them go and if they need to develop that is what the D-League is for.

Otherwise, you go to college have a commitment longer than 1 year.

They most certainly are two different games. CBB you learn teamwork and defense. NBA is nothing but pick and role and wait for your turn to be on offense.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that Garnett started the downfall of the nba. It wasn't his fault and I don't blame players for coming out early. The nba much like college gets worse and worse each yr. too many athletic freaks with very little fundamental skills. It is hard to find big men with any offensive game

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that Garnett started the downfall of the nba. It wasn't his fault and I don't blame players for coming out early. The nba much like college gets worse and worse each yr. too many athletic freaks with very little fundamental skills. It is hard to find big men with any offensive game

IMO, the NBA died with Allen Iverson. That era has ruined the game, but I think that's off course what you meant, as you meant early entries have ruined the game.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His statement is correct only because the NBA now seeks out great athletes who can run and dunk. Shooting and good fundamentals have gone by the wayside... and with the way they call any sort of contact a foul these days you may never see really good basketball again.

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His statement is correct only because the NBA now seeks out great athletes who can run and dunk. Shooting and good fundamentals have gone by the wayside... and with the way they call any sort of contact a foul these days you may never see really good basketball again.

IMO, the NBA has great shooters and they know how to move people and the ball. I don't agree with any of the above. We must be watching two different NBA leagues as it, IMO, is a very physical game.

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for high school to the NBA, some, not many, are able to do that. Labraun and Kobe are two that did well. IMO, most high school kids are not strong enough to withstand the mental and physical stress of playing with men who are 10 years older and much stronger.

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

steph curry and klay thompson would like a word with you on this....

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, the NBA has great shooters and they know how to move people and the ball. I don't agree with any of the above. We must be watching two different NBA leagues as it, IMO, is a very physical game.

There are good shooters, but have you watched the heat play? Lebron and Wade are NOT great shooters and have made a living drawing the foul.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
steph curry and klay thompson would like a word with you on this....

But those guys seem far and few between these days. The league is being dominated by super athletes that can run in and dunk over everyone.. and they succeed only because you can't play defense anymore in the NBA.