• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Knives Out (2019)

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I meant to say that it gets the audience invested in the protagonist and gives you a good gag

oh, thought you were being punny since you know, she gags at lies....

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh, thought you were being punny since you know, she gags at lies....
Yeah, I was going for the pun. I just had a typo where I said 'character' and not 'audience' and it was too late to edit.

Has anyone seen this more than once? Does it lose something if you know how it goes?

Zwalt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,173.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been meaning to see this for ages and finally watched last weekend. I'l be honest, I wasn't impressed. I freely admit that my intense dislike of Rian Johnson may have tainted my viewpoint, but I think there are some legit issues with this film.

From a positive standpoint, I think it was well cast and the acting was very solid. It really sucks seeing how old Jamie Lee Curtis and Don Johnson are but that has nothing to do with the film.

After that, everything to me just felt...off. Maybe I wasn't paying attention enough but there were a lot of annoyances through out the movie.

Daniel Craig doing the Foghorn routine was really distracting. I appreciate that he can pull it off, but still, every time he spoke it looked and sounded weird.

The movie is called Knives out, there is a huge fan of knives in one room...um, why? I don't think I heard any reason for it. Harlan's a murder mystery writer but there is no connection to the knives really. And why would there be a prop knife in the mix? Just felt like the knife fan was there to give the movie a focus or something.

In the first 20 minutes, you create a whodunnit, with all the characters having a motive, then you give away the cause of death, so ...who cares? It becomes a movie about rich people losing their gravy train, I'm not sure what is all that exciting about that. They aren't particularly nasty, though they aren't really likable either. Then you throw in political points that are as subtle as a jack hammer, I got it with the first hammer blow, it started getting silly after that point. Halfway through, I'm just looking for how are they going to wrap it up with a 'happy' ending.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was decent. Held my interest long enough.

I predicted the ending super early though... I've seen so many 'who did it' movies that it's fairly easy for me to pick up on it. I picked up on the Sixth Sense immediately as well (before the Internet was a thing and everyone was talking about it or spoiled it). I kept wondering why nobody acknowledged him and then was like, "OH!" LOL.

Everyone with Inception was like, "OMMMMMG NO WAY!" at the end. I was like, "Uh... duh!? Did you not think a movie that has been playing the whole, "Is it a dream" from the beginning was not going to be like, "IS IT A DREAM!?" at the end?" Yet someone everyone thought that was some HUGE twist or OMG moment. Shutter Island although good was another one I picked up on super early yet "OOOOH WOW!" at the end lol. The ending WAS good but not for a reveal.

Whatever. Trying to remember the last movie that really tricked me at the end or I didn't expect it. I think probably The Prestige. I didn't see the end coming at all... great movie too. Then there was movies like "Us" where yah it was a 'reveal'... it was just a fuckin' stupid one (like basically every M Night movie). It didn't make sense at all... whereas a movie like The Prestige made PERFECT sense and was a twist.