• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

knitting monkey out

abaskin18

Oilman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:hockeysmile:
Injuries are part of the game, but what worries me is that Doug didn't provide added depth at the forward position when it comes to the PK. We all know Handzus, Mitchell will handle PK duties, but who else on the lower lines? Will Pavelski, Marleau, Thornton, Couture, Havlat, Clowe have to be counted on to play PK also? It seems like alot to ask from your top 6. Score goals, play the PP, play the PK, are they each going to have to play 20 -25min a night?

YES...just like they do every year.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
:hockeysmile:
Injuries are part of the game, but what worries me is that Doug didn't provide added depth at the forward position when it comes to the PK. We all know Handzus, Mitchell will handle PK duties, but who else on the lower lines? Will Pavelski, Marleau, Thornton, Couture, Havlat, Clowe have to be counted on to play PK also? It seems like alot to ask from your top 6. Score goals, play the PP, play the PK, are they each going to have to play 20 -25min a night?

Andrew Murray is a very good PKer when healthy. Desjardins was on the top PK unit in Worcester. They both could take a few PK minutes from guys in the top six.

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh i c, I sure hope Murray and Desjardin can step up. Marleau and Havlat arent young PuPs no-more so they might need to be limited on the PK. Marleau's 32nd b-day just past 2 days ago.

abaskin18

Oilman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh i c, I sure hope Murray and Desjardin can step up. Marleau and Havlat arent young PuPs no-more so they might need to be limited on the PK. Marleau's 32nd b-day just past 2 days ago.

Yeah, they've both slowed down considerably... :L

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It is VERY true. I know nearly half of the teams don't make the playoffs. I also know not every team that makes the playoffs is a true Cup contender. Just because you took my statement and then derived it towards your own tangential point, doesn't make my utterance any less true.

Also, let's examine your point a little better:

Say Datsyuk and Franzen go down, I don't think Bertuzzi and Holmstrom are gonna come to the rescue.

Say Kane and Bolland go down, I don't think Brunette (who has aged tremendously and was slow before he was old) and Stalberg are gonna come to the rescue.

Say D. Sedin and Burrows go down, I don't think Sturm (I love Marco, but he can't even stay healthy anymore and he's not as fast as he used to be) and Higgins are gonna come to the rescue.

Are the teams above deeper at forward than the Sharks? Sure, but any of those teams above lose two of their top 6 forwards for a length of time and they're just not the same. Besides, a "team" is the sum of all of it's parts. If the Sharks can't match up with the other team with offensive depth, than they better be able to make up for it in the defense and goaltending departments. Teams usually change their style of play when they lose a huge offensive (or defensive) player. The Sharks can employ a much more defensive oriented system if two top 6 forwards went down to injury. I think the Sharks are currently better than they've been in a long time in both of those departments.

you make a very valid point filo. The sharks cant match up offensively with the powerhouses of the west (in case of injury), but their D may be pretty well able to matc up with just about anyone, particularly if demers develops and vlasic can find a bit of a more two-way game. After lidstrom, detroit is kinda shallow, and the loss of ehrhoff definitely does hurt the nucks. Chicago is still very strong at the top end D, but their depth may not match the sharks.

one note: the sharks top 6 has some serious injury history with havlat, pavs, and now jumbo with his shoulder separation. Not to mention jumbo and patty are 32, so they arent as spritely as they once were. The sharks are going to need to perfect the defensive side of the puck.

In case of injury: Here's to a bunch of 2-1 wins :-)

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
well atleast we arent kings fans, that Dough boy situation is about to get very ugly

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Confirmed nutty monkey is out for atleast 12 weeks, no great surprise
. Good for Griess
Report: Sharks' Niittymaki out 12 weeks after hip surgery

This just validates all of our complaints when Nitty was first signed. We all knew he had hip troubles yet Doug went ahead and gave him a pretty nice contract for an injury prone goalie. Bad hips and goalies are a bad mix. Just shelve him for the year and let Greiss handle all backup duties. I find it hard to believe that Nitty will come close to 100% this year, or ever.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This just validates all of our complaints when Nitty was first signed. We all knew he had hip troubles yet Doug went ahead and gave him a pretty nice contract for an injury prone goalie. Bad hips and goalies are a bad mix. Just shelve him for the year and let Greiss handle all backup duties. I find it hard to believe that Nitty will come close to 100% this year, or ever.

Its true if its degenrative, but if it isnt then its worth a shot. He was healthy the season prior and was fine most of last season. Not to mention he was in goal for the sharks in that historic comeback against the kings.

Surgery vs therapy is going to provide the long term fic.