• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Knicks hire Jeff Hornacek

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this is a terrible hire for the Knicks. They would have been better off going with Vogel. Its actually quite a baffling move seeing as there were better candidates available.

its great for me cause I hate the Knicks, but bad for Knicks fans lol.

Hire a worse coach, lose more games, get a better draft pick. They can talk all they like about cap space but if someone has a choice why go to a place that has an aging, breaking down Carmelo and Porzingis who is good but will need a couple of years to fill out? All I want is that the Knicks do not stupidly trade any #1 picks. They pissed away the 9th pick this year that way.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Nets were in worse shape than the Knicks and Lakers after what they gave the Celtics. That's about it though.

Phil is being given flack for a lot of reasons and many are legit. The Calderon trade was just plain bad. The Fisher hire was a mess. Grant didn't play well as a rookie . He gave Carmelo the no trade clause which few teams do. He skipped the combines. I know he wanted to get rid of a bunch of players but he got literally zero for them. He went after Greg Monroe who decided he'd rather go to Milwalkee and part of Phil's appeal was that he was supposed to be able to seal the deal with free agents. He also tends to be really arrogant in interview always pointing out how many rings he has. That's turned a bunch of people off

IMO opinion the jury is still out. Can't do a rebuild in 2 years

To be fair, he got zero for the players he got rid of because they weren't worth much to begin with. The Knicks were making one bad move/bad contract after another for years before Phil got there. I think star players get no trade clauses. I know Kobe had one for years with the Lakers. But I don't know how common it is, so I take your word that it's not.

As for his ego/arrogance...can't argue that. I've heard that Phil's ego is so big, it literally sucks all of the air out of the room. It worked great when he was coaching because he could "out-ego" the biggest ego's in the league. But I can see where it would wear on everyone else. Plus, as a GM, you need a little more tact.

As for him sealing the deal with FA's. The Knicks with 'Melo are in a similar boat as the Lakers when Kobe got old. As soon as playing with Kobe stopped being a guaranteed deep playoff run, no one wanted to play with him anymore. Playing with 'Melo has never meant a deep playoff run, so it would be even more difficult to get guys to join him, imo.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, he got zero for the players he got rid of because they weren't worth much to begin with. The Knicks were making one bad move/bad contract after another for years before Phil got there. I think star players get no trade clauses. I know Kobe had one for years with the Lakers. But I don't know how common it is, so I take your word that it's not.

As for his ego/arrogance...can't argue that. I've heard that Phil's ego is so big, it literally sucks all of the air out of the room. It worked great when he was coaching because he could "out-ego" the biggest ego's in the league. But I can see where it would wear on everyone else. Plus, as a GM, you need a little more tact.

As for him sealing the deal with FA's. The Knicks with 'Melo are in a similar boat as the Lakers when Kobe got old. As soon as playing with Kobe stopped being a guaranteed deep playoff run, no one wanted to play with him anymore. Playing with 'Melo has never meant a deep playoff run, so it would be even more difficult to get guys to join him, imo.

I think there are only 3 or 4 players with no trade clauses in the NBA. It's much more common in baseball and hockey.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this is a terrible hire for the Knicks. They would have been better off going with Vogel. Its actually quite a baffling move seeing as there were better candidates available.

its great for me cause I hate the Knicks, but bad for Knicks fans lol.

He's still infinitely better than Rambis....and lightyears better than Fisher.

Now Phil needs to get a legit point guard.

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's still infinitely better than Rambis....and lightyears better than Fisher.

Now Phil needs to get a legit point guard.

We do have some cap room to work with, and you would think the hire of "Horny" could attract a talented guard or two to his style of offense.

But wow, this will not be an easy team to build with his philosophy in mind and limited funds...

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We do have some cap room to work with, and you would think the hire of "Horny" could attract a talented guard or two to his style of offense.

But wow, this will not be an easy team to build with his philosophy in mind and limited funds...

we'll see....hopefully he's warming to the idea of slowly eliminating the ∆ altogether....

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what I wonder, is he going to be allowed to bring in his own assistants? or is he stuck his a guy like Rambis because Phil says so? Or will Rambis be moved to the front office in some capacity? like scouting? What an ODD situation

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what I wonder, is he going to be allowed to bring in his own assistants? or is he stuck his a guy like Rambis because Phil says so? Or will Rambis be moved to the front office in some capacity? like scouting? What an ODD situation

He wants his buddy to keep pulling a paycheck, so don't be surprised when Rambis is still employed by the Knicks.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He wants his buddy to keep pulling a paycheck, so don't be surprised when Rambis is still employed by the Knicks.

There's nothing wrong with that...it's been going on for years with all teams...however, I would hope Phil or Hornacek brings in a defensive minded 1st, assistant coach.

Last edited:

Krispy Treat

3-6 Latvia
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is true...

My head hurts. I need a drink...