• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kirk Cousins "Trade Scenario"

Warpath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eventually, if Cousins continues on his current path it won't be possible to keep him. Then it'll come down to making a play to get something in return for him, rather than see him leave in free agency.

At some point they will have to trade him as a commodity rather than keep him as insurance. Or risk not having him and not getting anything for him..

Warpath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And there will always be teams that are desperate for QBs. That's why you can always rattle off 5-10 trades that didn't work out involving backups. Because they'll always happen.

buried_in_snow

Capt Fucking Awesome
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And there will always be teams that are desperate for QBs. That's why you can always rattle off 5-10 trades that didn't work out involving backups. Because they'll always happen.

Sure. I'm not saying they won't happen, but I don't think you'll fetch two 2nd round picks for Cousins who may only have a handful of games under his belt.

And I don't think you'll ever get a 1st round pick for him, ever. IMO

Warpath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of that will be contingent on what the draft is like as far as prospects go in the year that it boils down to trading him. If it's a draft class like this year then the Redskins will get more in return then what they'd get if it's a strong class. To me, that's a bigger factor than teams looking at Kolb or other failed trades.

buried_in_snow

Capt Fucking Awesome
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of that will be contingent on what the draft is like as far as prospects go in the year that it boils down to trading him. If it's a draft class like this year then the Redskins will get more in return then what they'd get if it's a strong class. To me, that's a bigger factor than teams looking at Kolb or other failed trades.

Obviously the market always determines market value.

I just don't think with the blatant examples of "back up failures" in recent history, teams will be so willing to depart with a 2nd round pick (or higher) for a back up QB with only a handful of game experience.

This isn't to say Cousins' fate is that of Kolb's, Cassel's, Flynn's, etc... but like I said the market determines the value and the recent market of those aforementioned lower Cousin's value, IMO

Shenanihanigans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Buried in snow could be right. It depends on how highly rated the new draft class's qb's are, and how well Cousins does in his limited opportunities.

Then again, there is a precedent set for acceptable trades for starting qb's, going back to Schaub, Favre, etc.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the draft class for next season appears to be fairly decent . that too can drive down the price

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the draft class for next season appears to be fairly decent . that too can drive down the price

here are the prospects as they stand now . looks to be a decent class

martinez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My $0.02

It's more important to keep Cousins as a viable back up than whatever compensation you receive in return. Let's face it, a good back up is important to have behind Griffin.

I also don't believe you'll fetch as much as you think you would for him. After the Kolb, Flynn, Cassel, etc debacles, I don't think teams are as readily to throw a lot of valuable picks at a flash-in-the-pan back up QB.
well we can keep him and let his contract run out, then let another team sign him and we get nothing. or we can trade him and get something like a 2nd round pick for him. its not like hes going to sign an extension with us.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well we can keep him and let his contract run out, then let another team sign him and we get nothing. or we can trade him and get something like a 2nd round pick for him. its not like hes going to sign an extension with us.

who knows what cousins will do in 3 years ? he may find out he like dc and competing for superbowls . he will certainly get a raise .

sure if he can get a starting gig somewhere else he may jump on it and i wouldnt doubt it but who knows what will happen in 3 years ?

i say hold on to him and let the right deal come to us :suds:

Last edited by a moderator:

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep him until the final year of his contract, then shop him in the offseason after his 3rd year (2014). A 4-year $2.5 million contract is extremely affordable when it comes to a backup QB, and what appears to be a good one at that, especially when RG3 already got hurt.

Unless of course someone comes calling after this year with some fantastic offer.

Skin'EmAll

Celebrity Troublemaker
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at some of the responses, I just want to remind everyone its a scenario. Certainly trading Cousins before the end of this upcoming season would be foolish. But if it would be possible to get something as simple as a 2nd pick, instead of just letting him walk away when his contract expires, I think it would be wise to do that. I'm not familiar with more than 2 sure fire 1st round QBs for next year. As was mentioned someone always bites on a young QB prospect.
Even Kolb helped Arizona go 4-0 before he got hurt....

reptec101

warPAINt nation
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
who knows what cousins will do in 3 years ? he may find out he like dc and competing for superbowls . he will certainly get a raise .

sure if he can get a starting gig somewhere else he may jump on it and i wouldnt doubt it but who knows what will happen in 3 years ?

i say hold on to him and let the right deal come to us :suds:

I know what Cousins will do... He'll go play for another team. I can assure you winning the SB has very little meaning for your backup QB who perhaps saw no if little action during the year.

Reminder: RG3 and KC cannot exist on same team after his 3rd year. He will be traded if RG3 stays healthy. Bank it.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cousins has already stated that he wants to be a starter. He will not stay here once his contract expires unless he is starting here. His highest value will be at the end of this year.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cousins has already stated that he wants to be a starter. He will not stay here once his contract expires unless he is starting here. His highest value will be at the end of this year.

this up comimg draft could have a lot to say about that . perhaps the 2015 draft isnt as good at qb which changes things

Last edited by a moderator:

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This whole discussion is very premature. There really is no way to determine what they will need to do in a year or two. Huge unknowns exists such as RG3's health & future performance, Cousins performance (which hopefully consists of no meaningful time), performance of current young & aging NFL QBs, performance of current elite college QBs (which varies dramatically over time - look at Barkley), etc, etc

It is somewhat fun to debate this issue, but it really serves no purpose. Let's just enjoy watching these guys & hope for the best.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW - thanks to the people who run this place for having a board that actually is fast & works well. I am pleasantly surprised that you can actually edit a reply without having to encounter "Server busy - please try again" & other related errors that appeared to have existed about 3/4s of the time on ESPN. Makes this whole experience a lot more pleasant! :suds:

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW - thanks to the people who run this place for having a board that actually is fast & works well. I am pleasantly surprised that you can actually edit a reply without having to encounter "Server busy - please try again" & other related errors that appeared to have existed about 3/4s of the time on ESPN. Makes this whole experience a lot more pleasant! :suds:

yeah i like it too socal. great site SH . :suds:

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So cal, I'm in 100% agreement about this topic is premature. I was just repsonding to a specific scenario that the OP presented in his original post. In that scenario, I believe you trade Cousins after this season.

It's just the slow season and we are all bored......

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So cal, I'm in 100% agreement about this topic is premature. I was just repsonding to a specific scenario that the OP presented in his original post. In that scenario, I believe you trade Cousins after this season.

It's just the slow season and we are all bored......

Oh no - don't get me wrong - like I said it is kind of fun to debate & there is nothing wrong with throwing out ideas. However - no real logical conclusion can be developed at this time (& yes you are correct - it is the slow season - that will change soon).