• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kirk Cousins "Trade Scenario"

Skin'EmAll

Celebrity Troublemaker
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
*smh* @ Arbsman - whatever his name was.

Let's say we don't start 0-2 BUT RGIII had some sort of setback/injury(this is strictly hypothetical)
and he either misses the first 2 games or misses 2 games during the season, possibly more.
During that time Cousins has a perfect record and also maintains a 100 passer rating.
When RGIII returns he wins at least one playoff game.

The following season do you trade Cousins especially if teams are throwing a 2nd round pick at you?

Warpath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could probably get multiple picks for him in that scenario. Possibly two 2nds

Lonewate44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep...if he does play, and plays well...and a 1st or 2nd is available for him...you gotta strongly consider it... He will need to be traded at some point or he walks for nothing...If RGIII pretty much plays the full year, you have to hope that is the trend.....and....we can hope to get a decent backup via free agency or in the draft....

Skin'EmAll

Celebrity Troublemaker
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know whats left on his contract but even if he plays 1 game this year and wins in good fashion,
I think a 2nd, or even 2nd/3rd is almost a must take. He's walking when his contract expires and obviously challenging for a starting job. A first round pick is highly unlikely unless we are giving up a pick as well.

...I of course would like to see him play this year in a home field advantage situation and RGIII gets to rest. :hope:

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i dont know if one 2nd is enough. also you are saying that Rg3 had a set back in that scenario . that would make me lean to keeping him

bottom line is 2015 is about the time to entertain trades for him

my thinking is we will be active in the 2014 FA period which could eat up some cap . that would make draft picks in 2015 as our best way to improve the team

interestingly enough the year we have a 1st rounder . that would be my strategy at this time

Skin'EmAll

Celebrity Troublemaker
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i dont know if one 2nd is enough. also you are saying that Rg3 had a set back in that scenario . that would make me lean to keeping him

More like, say they have to rest him early due to swelling or some unexpected event in September OR in the season he hurts his shoulder(minor, has to miss 2 games)

hold on. We still have one more year with no 1st round pick right?
Don't tell me we have big cap space and our picks back next year!!!!

skins

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

bottom line is 2015 is about the time to entertain trades for him

my thinking is we will be active in the 2014 FA period which could eat up some cap . that would make draft picks in 2015 as our best way to improve the team

interestingly enough the year we have a 1st rounder . that would be my strategy at this time

i agree if it was going to happen won't happen until 2015. its a nice luxury to have for the next 2 seasons. there's no reason to rush to trade him and there isn't really a market for him right now.

martinez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well this season hes not going anywhere, obviously. but next season id trade him for a 2nd and 3rd round pick. hopefully to the browns or any other crappy team like that.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More like, say they have to rest him early due to swelling or some unexpected event in September OR in the season he hurts his shoulder(minor, has to miss 2 games)

hold on. We still have one more year with no 1st round pick right?
Don't tell me we have big cap space and our picks back next year!!!!

no we dont have a 1st rounder in 2014 . the next time we get a 1st rounder is in 2015

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well this season hes not going anywhere, obviously. but next season id trade him for a 2nd and 3rd round pick. hopefully to the browns or any other crappy team like that.

Sounds good to me. I'm hoping we don't end up with Manziel or someone like that. I think David Fales could be a good QB, but his last name + Cleveland is just almost too much to handle.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Under the scenario laid out, you trade him. We will get top dollar at the end of the season as he will still have 2 years left on a very affordable contract and therefore will get maximum value.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Under the scenario laid out, you trade him. We will get top dollar at the end of the season as he will still have 2 years left on a very affordable contract and therefore will get maximum value.

no i dont trade him unless you have a qb in this upcoming draft to take over for him . right now KC is the perfect BU for RG3 :suds:

martinez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds good to me. I'm hoping we don't end up with Manziel or someone like that. I think David Fales could be a good QB, but his last name + Cleveland is just almost too much to handle.
if the skins are looking to draft a back up dual threat qb next draft they are in luck. logan thomas, driskel, brax, k price, james franklin, mariota.

reptec101

warPAINt nation
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KC has a four year deal. Skins better trade this guy next off season if RG3 has a successful campaign this year. If Skins opt to do nothing this off season regarding KC and then wait till the following off season (end of his 3rd year) to try and trade him they may end up with considerable less draft picks. Heres why: Teams will know the Skins are now desperate to trade him before the end of the following year (his fourth) is up. Skins do not want to be in the position with this guy on their roster going into fourth and final year. KC will never sign an extension with Skins with RG3 lurking and will walk away and sign with best opportunity to play....teams will know this. Skins get nothing but a wave goodbye.

Bottom line: KC and RG3 cannot co-exist on same team. KC being so young in his career wants to play and not just get paid to hold clip board as so many other vets do. The best chance to get ample payback (if RG3 healthy) is to trade him this off season to highest bidder. (unless he bombs in the games he plays in this year)..then it's a whole other song....but if he plays well and they feel RG3 will have a long career in Wash...then they have to trade him next off season...no sooner,,,no later.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KC has a four year deal. Skins better trade this guy next off season if RG3 has a successful campaign this year. If Skins opt to do nothing this off season regarding KC and then wait till the following off season (end of his 3rd year) to try and trade him they may end up with considerable less draft picks. Heres why: Teams will know the Skins are now desperate to trade him before the end of the following year (his fourth) is up. Skins do not want to be in the position with this guy on their roster going into fourth and final year. KC will never sign an extension with Skins with RG3 lurking and will walk away and sign with best opportunity to play....teams will know this. Skins get nothing but a wave goodbye.

Bottom line: KC and RG3 cannot co-exist on same team. KC being so young in his career wants to play and not just get paid to hold clip board as so many other vets do. The best chance to get ample payback (if RG3 healthy) is to trade him this off season to highest bidder. (unless he bombs in the games he plays in this year)..then it's a whole other song....but if he plays well and they feel RG3 will have a long career in Wash...then they have to trade him next off season...no sooner,,,no later.

man there are a lot of assumptions here . desperate to trade him ? why ? we wouldnt have to be desperate at all . in the end we have complete control over the situation . if guys like kolb get 2 draft picks etc we can get something too . i say keep him until you need draft picks to improve the team . you trade him now you have RG1 and white as your qbs

reptec101

warPAINt nation
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
man there are a lot of assumptions here . desperate to trade him ? why ? we wouldnt have to be desperate at all . in the end we have complete control over the situation . if guys like kolb get 2 draft picks etc we can get something too . i say keep him until you need draft picks to improve the team . you trade him now you have RG1 and white as your qbs

I didn't say trade him now but rather at the end of this season for best payback. If RG3 plays well this year and doesn't re-injure knee then I'm afraid the Skins will want to trade KC at best value. This is a different situation than Montana/Young ... Favre/Rodgers (not comparing either to our QB's) ...Montana was near his end like Favre....We have two potentially good QB's entering 2nd year. You can't keep KC for years and years as a potential starter if or when RG3 gets hurt...he may never. 1>> KC won't go for that come contract time and 2>> Pat White will never be RG3's backup goin into a season. Best value= trade KC after this year. Limited value= wait till after his 3rd year. No value= wait till his contract is up and try (laughable) to resign him as a clip board holder.

For the record: I like KC and have no problem with him staying here as a backup. Unfortunately he wants to play, and they're our numerous teams looking for a capable QB. Cle, Oak, Jax, Tenn and Dal just to name a few.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't say trade him now but rather at the end of this season for best payback. If RG3 plays well this year and doesn't re-injure knee then I'm afraid the Skins will want to trade KC at best value. This is a different situation than Montana/Young ... Favre/Rodgers (not comparing either to our QB's) ...Montana was near his end like Favre....We have two potentially good QB's entering 2nd year. You can't keep KC for years and years as a potential starter if or when RG3 gets hurt...he may never. 1>> KC won't go for that come contract time and 2>> Pat White will never be RG3's backup goin into a season. Best value= trade KC after this year. Limited value= wait till after his 3rd year. No value= wait till his contract is up and try (laughable) to resign him as a clip board holder.

For the record: I like KC and have no problem with him staying here as a backup. Unfortunately he wants to play, and they're our numerous teams looking for a capable QB. Cle, Oak, Jax, Tenn and Dal just to name a few.

i dont see the need to move him , however maybe a qb needy team could make a good offer i.e. the cards

reptec101

warPAINt nation
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want to trade him either but they have only two chances left (realistically) to trade him before he walks. Next off season or the one after that. If they try and trade him the same month his contract is up in three years good luck. It'll be interesting to see how they handle him. If RG3 is still our QB in two years KC will not be part of this team. Bank that.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rep, that's the point some are missing. He has a 4 year contract and bargain basement prices. As he gets closer to the end of that contact, his trade value decreases. The ideal time to trade him would be after this season. Assuming he plays as laid out in the scenario by the OP, he would be of maximum value after this season and we could realistically get a 2, maybe even a 1 depending on the QB draft class. Of course, we have to replace him, which is going to cost us. But having a first or an additional second round pick in the 2014 draft would be huge.

Because of this, even if RG3 is healthy, I expect we will see a lot of Cousins in preseason. They will want to showcase him for future trade consideration.

buried_in_snow

Capt Fucking Awesome
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My $0.02

It's more important to keep Cousins as a viable back up than whatever compensation you receive in return. Let's face it, a good back up is important to have behind Griffin.

I also don't believe you'll fetch as much as you think you would for him. After the Kolb, Flynn, Cassel, etc debacles, I don't think teams are as readily to throw a lot of valuable picks at a flash-in-the-pan back up QB.