• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kiper/McShay combined Mock

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing about the pick is I think he should start right away. Heck I would love 3 starters this year out of this draft. Last yrs pick wasnt the most popular but I will say the guy played well for us all year. That makes me rethink OT. Free makes pretty good money just to sit , so I think he starts or at least starts the year at Tackle. Now OG is a little different. The thing about Fredrick is he gave us 65 snaps a game. A Dlinemen may only play 30 snaps due to rotation. I know they are extremely important though as is every position.

WR- are we good enough with the 4 we have? Any WR picked in the first round for us would be in that 30 snap range probably as well .

QB , RB, TE, C , CB- I dont see being addressed until the later rounds if at all. It is always good to snag a CB. I like Aiken in the 4rth if hes there. Kind of hoping Purifoy keeps dropping. Worth a risk late.

LB- I have to believe Carter bounces back. Lee is a stud. Holleman made some plays . Now a 1st round pick here would start though I would think.

DLINE- Lot of guys needed for rotation. We have some decent pieces.

Safety- round 1 guy would start.

I know this all has been discussed. I just dont know which way is best for our team. If it was me , I take Donald if he is there. If not I trade down and either grab the OG or Jernigan

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well off for a short golf vaca in Florida. Hopefully for me the talk of Barr, Lewan, Dix and Donald is still going strong when I return. I am going to dread it if I come back to read Jerry leaked a copy of our draft board and none of them are even on it!!!

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How? I wanted someone else first and thought we could get him In The 2nd (or 3rd). Never had a problem with the player, just how we ended up with him. To me it's always been about Floyd, Reid or whomever versus Escobar.

Anyway, I don't even understand the comparison you are making

Every time someone says we don't know if we'd have been able to get Frederick in the 2nd you boohoo the idea. As yoy state in this thread we don't know how/where other team valued Frederick. Sorry can't have it both ways.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well off for a short golf vaca in Florida. Hopefully for me the talk of Barr, Lewan, Dix and Donald is still going strong when I return. I am going to dread it if I come back to read Jerry leaked a copy of our draft board and none of them are even on it!!!

Have fun on the course. Hit em far and straight.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the teams that do well in the draft just take the best player on the board. Now if there are three guys sitting there that they rate 7.6, you should certainly take the one that fits the biggest need. But if there are three 7.2's, and a 7.7, you'd damn well better take the one you have rated the highest, or you're gonna have a lot of regrets. Even where we are today. The very LAST thing any Cowboys fan would want to see is another early TE. But if the Cowboys scouts thought there was a kid that was without a doubt the next Jason Witten, and we passed the kid, we'd all be on here murdering them in 5 years for not taking the All Pro they had rated highest on their board

So if Ebron is BPA do you take him?
I don't.

There's a very good chance this is the situation.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not true IMO. Easier to make an OLB a DE than the other way around. DE is a MUCH simpler position.

I'm not sure how often you bench press, but that isn't a good indicator of strength. Kid has long arms. I wouldn't expect him to do too many reps compared to some other guys, but would have expected a little more than that. Like I said, the combine is mostly just about interviews for me. We'll see what happens. For me hopefully it's as a Cowboy, obviously for you hopefully it's with an opponent!

Just going to disagree. When I started playing ball in the 4th grade I was the 2nd biggest kid at my age. We did have the one really fat kid but he didn't play ball. I started out O-line then each year as I grew taller my frame became slimmer. eventually going to D tackle, the DE and finished up as a linebacker.

MUCH EASIER to play linebacker than any position on the D-line. Fighting those linemen tires your ass out and in my younger days I lived in the weight room.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like how Barr gets to the QB. Tempting, but if you look at some of the games he gets washed out and really not great against the run. A few of you think he is a 3-4 OLB and I agree with that. I would take Shazier over him. Shazier just seems perfect for this defense.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if Ebron is BPA do you take him?
I don't.

There's a very good chance this is the situation.

If the Cowboys had him far and away the best player, yeah I would(I think Ebron is a bust waiting to happen though lol). But yeah, hypothetically, if Donald, Dix, Barr, everyone they had rated higher was gone, they couldn't trade down, and the scouting department said ''Jerry, you can reach for a DT or S that we feel isn't an upgrade, or take this kid who we believe is Jason Witten or Jimmy Graham 2.0, you bet. Wouldn't be popular at first, but if they are right(and you are paying them to be right), it will all work out in the end

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Cowboys had him far and away the best player, yeah I would(I think Ebron is a bust waiting to happen though lol). But yeah, hypothetically, if Donald, Dix, Barr, everyone they had rated higher was gone, they couldn't trade down, and the scouting department said ''Jerry, you can reach for a DT or S that we feel isn't an upgrade, or take this kid who we believe is Jason Witten or Jimmy Graham 2.0, you bet. Wouldn't be popular at first, but if they are right(and you are paying them to be right), it will all work out in the end

Did you complain about Escobar like the rest of us did? Maybe he was the BPA in Jerry's world. TE was not a need last year and it's less of a need now. It would simply stupid to draft Ebron if he's the BPA.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you complain about Escobar like the rest of us did? Maybe he was the BPA in Jerry's world. TE was not a need last year and it's less of a need now. It would simply stupid to draft Ebron if he's the BPA.[/QU

You are right. Just because a Jason written type is the BPA at 16, and Jerry drafted him, he should be commited to a mental institution immediately!!! TE is the last thing we need.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you complain about Escobar like the rest of us did? Maybe he was the BPA in Jerry's world. TE was not a need last year and it's less of a need now. It would simply stupid to draft Ebron if he's the BPA.[/QU

You are right. Just because a Jason written type is the BPA at 16, and Jerry drafted him, he should be commited to a mental institution immediately!!! TE is the last thing we need.

I'm not advocating a TE.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you complain about Escobar like the rest of us did? Maybe he was the BPA in Jerry's world. TE was not a need last year and it's less of a need now. It would simply stupid to draft Ebron if he's the BPA.

Sure did, but not because he was a TE, but because I thought he was a reach. If we had drafted Tyler Eifert or Zac Ertz, I'd have been pumped. And if Escobar had done squat, I would have gladly said I was wrong about him. I hope I still can

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure did, but not because he was a TE, but because I thought he was a reach. If we had drafted Tyler Eifert or Zac Ertz, I'd have been pumped. And if Escobar had done squat, I would have gladly said I was wrong about him. I hope I still can

Key words there. I complained because he was a TE. We had much bigger needs. Same as this year. BPA is a solid draft plan, but that BPA still needs to fit. Hell blindly taking BPA you can net yourself 6 WR's in one draft. You may subscribe to Matt Millen's draft strategy. I don't. Give me the BPA who fills a need.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Key words there. I complained because he was a TE. We had much bigger needs. Same as this year. BPA is a solid draft plan, but that BPA still needs to fit. Hell blindly taking BPA you can net yourself 6 WR's in one draft. You may subscribe to Matt Millen's draft strategy. I don't. Give me the BPA who fills a need.

I'm pretty sure Matt Millen didn't subscribe to BPA lol. He had tunnel vision for specific positions. Guys like Polian and Newsome advocate using the draft to increase your talent level by going BPA, and using FA to fill your needs. It's pretty obvious we have little choice but to fill needs through the draft this season. I don't want a fucking TE lol, I was using that as a worst case scenario. What I do believe, is that while we need DT/DE desperately, if all the Cowboys highly rates guys, say, Donald, Ealy, and Jernigan are gone, and there is a guy they rate in the top 10 available, they should take him. We have Mo and Carr at CB...would you pass on Dennard if he were top 10 on your board? We have Dez and Williams..Would you pass Evans if your scouts had him top 10?

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty sure Matt Millen didn't subscribe to BPA lol. He had tunnel vision for specific positions. Guys like Polian and Newsome advocate using the draft to increase your talent level by going BPA, and using FA to fill your needs. It's pretty obvious we have little choice but to fill needs through the draft this season. I don't want a fucking TE lol, I was using that as a worst case scenario. What I do believe, is that while we need DT/DE desperately, if all the Cowboys highly rates guys, say, Donald, Ealy, and Jernigan are gone, and there is a guy they rate in the top 10 available, they should take him. We have Mo and Carr at CB...would you pass on Dennard if he were top 10 on your board? We have Dez and Williams..Would you pass Evans if your scouts had him top 10?

He got burned drafting unneeded WR's. If my roster is solid and set I'll draft BPA without need being a concern. If I'm drafting for this team today need is basically equal the BPA. And YES I'll pass on Evans. He's tall and wins battles for the ball, but he's also slow and a bad route runner. Most of his big plays came from Manziel forcing him the ball. I don't see to many NFL teams playing that way.
If Donald Jerigan and Ealy are gone I'm 100% sure Dix and Pryor are there. There too much talent that matches our needs to where we will be forced to draft an unneeded player. It shouldn't be that hard to figure out.

Last edited by a moderator:

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He got burned drafting unneeded WR's. If my roster is solid and set I'll draft BPA without need being a concern. If I'm drafting for this team today need is basically equal the BPA. And YES I'll pass on Evans. He's tall and wins battles for the ball, but he's also slow and a bad route runner. Most of his big plays came from Manziel forcing him the ball. I don't see to many NFL teams playing that way.
If Donald Jerigan and Ealy are gone I'm 100% sure Dix and Pryor are there. There too much talent that matches our needs to where we will be forced to draft an unneeded player. It shouldn't be that hard to figure out.

I don't disagree with you at all, I'm mainly talking overall philosophy. The key thing you said was ''if my roster is solid''. I think we can agree it isn't, and we have to go need this year.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't disagree with you at all, I'm mainly talking overall philosophy. The key thing you said was ''if my roster is solid''. I think we can agree it isn't, and we have to go need this year.

So in reality were saying the same thing? It's just that you are talking oveeall draft philosophy while I'm talking 2014 Dallas Cowboys?

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So in reality were saying the same thing? It's just that you are talking oveeall draft philosophy while I'm talking 2014 Dallas Cowboys?

Correct. And wondering out loud if we are making a mistake by going the route we think we need to which is need

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correct. And wondering out loud if we are making a mistake by going the route we think we need to which is need

That depends. Do try to get Romo and Witten rings? If yes we place a priority on need. If not, BPA is the priority.