• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kings will go after Kovalchuk, Marleau

BostonAJ

They fucking won?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
According to ESPN's Pierre LeBrun...

Keep an eye on the Los Angeles Kings; they are going to be real aggressive in trying to add a big name this offseason.

Plan A will be a run at star winger Ilya Kovalchuk on July 1. If the Kings strike out there, they might then go after unrestricted free-agent forward Patrick Marleau if he hasn't been re-signed by the Sharks. Marleau played under Kings GM Dean Lombardi during the exec's time in San Jose, so that's a natural fit.

But it will all start with Kovalchuk. I don't think July 1 will bring the Russian star as big an offer as the two deals he turned down in Atlanta this past season: 12 years, $101 million and seven years, $70 million.

Well, he won't get that much from an NHL team on July 1. But what about the KHL? One NHL source told ESPN.com Saturday that he's hearing the KHL is ready to lure Kovalchuk with a deal that could pay him as much as $12 million per season. I don't believe it would be that much. But as I've written before in this space, I do think the KHL will make a serious run at Kovalchuk. No question there.

Kovy and Marleau aren't exactly playoff warriors, but the Kings could be beasts in the regular season next year.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't realize Marleau was UFA.

Hmmmmmm...

Kovalev - you've had a great run, and that's a tough injury. I think you could retire and no one would blame you. Ride off into the sunset. YOU HEAR ME? *shaking fist*

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Get back you vultures, Marleau still has a playoff to finish.

Rumor is that he is leaning toward taking a hometown discount, his wife was born and raised in San Jose and does not want to leave (rumor also is that she wears the pants but none of it has been validated).

If Marleau were to leave, LA does seem like the most likely destination. Close to San Jose, has cap room, and he doesn't hate the coach. cough*Toronto*cough

ELYEAH82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I hear a lot of players talk about a hometown discount but rarely see a player give one. I am at the point where I think it is all lipservice so the player says he did all he could when in reality he is looking for market value.

scottflyers88

Lets Go Flyers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i think the kings will get one of them. their team is young and they have cap room so they are a perfect fit for either one of these guys. if they get one of them they could be a dangerous team next year.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Get back you vultures, Marleau still has a playoff to finish.

Rumor is that he is leaning toward taking a hometown discount, his wife was born and raised in San Jose and does not want to leave (rumor also is that she wears the pants but none of it has been validated).

If Marleau were to leave, LA does seem like the most likely destination. Close to San Jose, has cap room, and he doesn't hate the coach. cough*Toronto*cough

I think DWil is gonna have Marleau, Pavelski and Setoguchi all re-signed before July 1.

Jimmy_the_Tongue

Walks Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kings are gonna be real fun to watch...to bad they play on the west coast....to bad for us on the east coast, I mean...

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As the token Kings fan here, I will say that Kings fans want Kovy. I worry about giving him a ton of cash and losing players they have. Marleau may want a fresh start. I am not holding my breath. The Kings have a few young stars that will want raises soon. I think they did enough in the playoffs so players might think they are no longer a place to go for early tee times.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does that mean he lest Nabby walk?

I don't know. It'll depend on what Nabby asks for and what those other 3 get signed for. I think getting those 3 signed is more important than Nabby just because they are all younger (Pavelski and Gooch are much younger) and the Sharks do have some good goalies in their system. If the Sharks could possibly get Nabby to sign for $4M per or something around that or at least get his cap hit that low, then maybe they could keep him as well.

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, I also think it depends on if Blake resigns or not. We may have a little shuffling to do on the back end as well as some money freed up. With the cap going up we should be able to retain most of the core of this team.

Unfortunately I think that Manny is gone in the offseason. He took a discount to play here, I don't think that he will do that again.

I think that Marleau would be a good fit on LA but I would hate to have to play him that often. If he leaves the Sharks I want him out of the conference.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, I also think it depends on if Blake resigns or not. We may have a little shuffling to do on the back end as well as some money freed up. With the cap going up we should be able to retain most of the core of this team.

Unfortunately I think that Manny is gone in the offseason. He took a discount to play here, I don't think that he will do that again.

I think that Marleau would be a good fit on LA but I would hate to have to play him that often. If he leaves the Sharks I want him out of the conference.

Unfortunately, I can't see Marleau going east. If he did leave the Sharks, he'd most likely end up in LA, or even worse Anaheim. But I do think Marleau wants to stay in San Jose and I also think Wilson will get that done. I'm honestly more worried about Pavs and Gooch. Even though they are RFAs I hope they get signed before July 1st so Lowe and Burke can't come running in with offer sheets. Blake has been fantastic this season, but even if he doesn't retire after the season is over, I think it's time for him and the Sharks to part ways. Unless he's willing to sign for under $2M which I think is very unlikely.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately, I can't see Marleau going east. If he did leave the Sharks, he'd most likely end up in LA, or even worse Anaheim. But I do think Marleau wants to stay in San Jose and I also think Wilson will get that done. I'm honestly more worried about Pavs and Gooch. Even though they are RFAs I hope they get signed before July 1st so Lowe and Burke can't come running in with offer sheets. Blake has been fantastic this season, but even if he doesn't retire after the season is over, I think it's time for him and the Sharks to part ways. Unless he's willing to sign for under $2M which I think is very unlikely.

I agree, I appreciate Blake and all he's done this year and for the franchise in general.....that being said, no more Blake next year. Too expensive. I wonder if Carey Price might be a Shark next year if Nabby doesn't return.

My order of importance for this offseason as far as RFA's and UFA's go is this:

1.) Pavs ($4mil at most.....he starts becoming a handicap after that)
2.) Seto ($3mil hopefully, if not $3.5 at the most)
3.) Marleau. I love Patty, but I just don't think he's going to take a hometown discount and we have too many holes to plug.....especially on the backend and possibly in net.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll take Manny on the Flames...I'd also like to have Scott Nichol back (what a face-off demon)

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll take Manny on the Flames...I'd also like to have Scott Nichol back (what a face-off demon)

Him and Manny would have been #'s 1 and 2 I believe if Manny would have qualified for faceoffs taken. They both have been just what the doctor ordered for the Sharks this playoffs. I fear Manny won't be a Shark next year due to the cap (unless both Marleau and Nabby leave). He took a 1 year, $700K contract to play for the Sharks and turned down a supposed 4 year $8million contract so that he could go to a team that had a (outside) chance at the Stanley Cup.