• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Kings vs Sharks

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
SMDH -- Burns is still a terrible damn-- Martin makes Burns what he is right now -- Strip Martin and you will have a fucking Kieth Yandle... aggg The lack of knowledge on this board is so funny...

Rules I accept your apology.. But for this numnuts to say Burns is the be all, nah man, are you fucking blinding -- he still sucks major dick on D... Martin is the reason Burns is beasting, and if you dont understand that then I wonder why you even try to post creditable shit lol

Dude wall, is there anyone you arent seeking to insult? There are ways to agree and disagree, and all of us have our opinions, but Im impressed.

No doubt Burns has been tremendously helped by martin. No one is claiming that he is better than guys like doughty, or all time greats like lidstrom. They were just pointing out how far burns has come and how much better he is now at both ends. I still think he lacks some of the defensive game, and is liable for a 2 on 1 against a bit too often, but he has cut down on those tremendously, and his decision making skills and coverage and subtle use of his body and the like has exploded. He was -15 on January 2nd, and finished the year +10 from that point on, and really probably more like +15 since he was on for several ENG's against. He figured out the defensive side of the game, and I don't fear his daily mistake anymore. He was awesome at both ends in the kings series, so I think he deserves a ton of credit, leading the team in TOI and points.

I still cant stand that bottom pair of dillon and polak though. they were somewhat serviceable in the kings series, but not really. Dillon played 14 mins, was on for a PP goal against, and was -1 averaging less than one shot per game, and Polak was pretty much equally bad. they add some physicality, but that is sorely overrated. In fact it was dillon and polak that were on for BOTH LA goals in the lone loss and both playing under 15 mins. That D pairing is a complete liability and may get torched by the faster teams like a chicago or anaheim, and play a high skill game. I really wish dougie had added someone better than Polak.

Also, while I will try not to be too negative, like V, I don't read too much into one series win. Great depth in the clincher. Great goaltending. Great composure to bounce back from the OT loss and to bounce back after blowing the 3-0 lead on the road. All huge things that were lacking before. However, the LA D was shell of itself. Voynov and Martinez are both top pairing Dmen, and I would say LA losing martinez is analagous to the sharks losing pickles. pickles has a little edge defensively, martinez offensively, but both of minute eating reliable producers at both ends. LA lost a top pairing Dman and every game was functionally a one-goal game, but if martinez is healthy, I think it's a very different series. and, of course, if Voynov doesnt go to jail, then the LA D becomes best in the league. They had to dress and play big minutes to alot of bottom pairing guys. mainly, Brayden McNabb had 0 points and a -4 in under 17 min/gm and Mcbain had 0 points and just 2 shots in 11 min/gm. That 28 mins could easily have been eaten by alec martinez, and if so, that's a HUGE difference at both ends.

In other words, the sharks earned the W's, but they also got lucky and will face a much stronger D corps in the next round. They will have to be even better than they were against LA to go into uncharted water. I still have a healthy skepticism amidst my joy of dispatching the fucking kings.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Dude wall, is there anyone you arent seeking to insult? There are ways to agree and disagree, and all of us have our opinions, but Im impressed.

No doubt Burns has been tremendously helped by martin. No one is claiming that he is better than guys like doughty, or all time greats like lidstrom. They were just pointing out how far burns has come and how much better he is now at both ends. I still think he lacks some of the defensive game, and is liable for a 2 on 1 against a bit too often, but he has cut down on those tremendously, and his decision making skills and coverage and subtle use of his body and the like has exploded. He was -15 on January 2nd, and finished the year +10 from that point on, and really probably more like +15 since he was on for several ENG's against. He figured out the defensive side of the game, and I don't fear his daily mistake anymore. He was awesome at both ends in the kings series, so I think he deserves a ton of credit, leading the team in TOI and points.

I still cant stand that bottom pair of dillon and polak though. they were somewhat serviceable in the kings series, but not really. Dillon played 14 mins, was on for a PP goal against, and was -1 averaging less than one shot per game, and Polak was pretty much equally bad. they add some physicality, but that is sorely overrated. In fact it was dillon and polak that were on for BOTH LA goals in the lone loss and both playing under 15 mins. That D pairing is a complete liability and may get torched by the faster teams like a chicago or anaheim, and play a high skill game. I really wish dougie had added someone better than Polak.

Also, while I will try not to be too negative, like V, I don't read too much into one series win. Great depth in the clincher. Great goaltending. Great composure to bounce back from the OT loss and to bounce back after blowing the 3-0 lead on the road. All huge things that were lacking before. However, the LA D was shell of itself. Voynov and Martinez are both top pairing Dmen, and I would say LA losing martinez is analagous to the sharks losing pickles. pickles has a little edge defensively, martinez offensively, but both of minute eating reliable producers at both ends. LA lost a top pairing Dman and every game was functionally a one-goal game, but if martinez is healthy, I think it's a very different series. and, of course, if Voynov doesnt go to jail, then the LA D becomes best in the league. They had to dress and play big minutes to alot of bottom pairing guys. mainly, Brayden McNabb had 0 points and a -4 in under 17 min/gm and Mcbain had 0 points and just 2 shots in 11 min/gm. That 28 mins could easily have been eaten by alec martinez, and if so, that's a HUGE difference at both ends.

In other words, the sharks earned the W's, but they also got lucky and will face a much stronger D corps in the next round. They will have to be even better than they were against LA to go into uncharted water. I still have a healthy skepticism amidst my joy of dispatching the fucking kings.
I dunno I'm still undecided on Polak/Dillon pairing, I mean I really don't notice them when they are on the ice, which for a bottom pair is a good sign, but when I do see them individually I can see your concerns. Polak can't skate for shit he has terrible foot speed but I like how he controls board play and how he dominates physically. Dillion looked like a man afraid to take a hit at times and panicked more then once, overall his skating ability offsets Polak. I can't really see to many teams remaining in the playoffs that have a strong enough 3rd and 4th that would dominate those 2 so I'm ok with them for now

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Things are lining up nicely now. Hawks just got ousted :)
Yeah to bad the Preds are an overall small team and can't beat down the ducks physically, I'm guessing it's going to be ducks and Sharks, I like the teams chances against Anaheim mainly due to goaltending and defensive depth.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yeah to bad the Preds are an overall small team and can't beat down the ducks physically, I'm guessing it's going to be ducks and Sharks, I like the teams chances against Anaheim mainly due to goaltending and defensive depth.

I dunno. I think I prefer the preds as I like ANA's Depth especially on D. They were #1 is GAA. that's tough. Fowler, vatanen, and lindholm are pretty awesome and bieksa is a solid #4. Also getz and perry scare me to no end, and they are well coached. That said, I think the sharks should be able to beat either one, and should be able to take on either of stl or dallas. They have handled stl well this season, and while both would be tough, both is also beatable and neither has much proven playoff success. The coast is very open right now, so the sharks should be well rested, healthy, and ready.

I think this might be the best chance at a long run that the sharks have had since 2005-6 when edmonton and calgary the 6 and 8 seeds made it to the WCF. The road is open, its just a matter of walking down it.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I dunno. I think I prefer the preds as I like ANA's Depth especially on D. They were #1 is GAA. that's tough. Fowler, vatanen, and lindholm are pretty awesome and bieksa is a solid #4. Also getz and perry scare me to no end, and they are well coached. That said, I think the sharks should be able to beat either one, and should be able to take on either of stl or dallas. They have handled stl well this season, and while both would be tough, both is also beatable and neither has much proven playoff success. The coast is very open right now, so the sharks should be well rested, healthy, and ready.

I think this might be the best chance at a long run that the sharks have had since 2005-6 when edmonton and calgary the 6 and 8 seeds made it to the WCF. The road is open, its just a matter of walking down it.
There will never be a better chance then right now with this group

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Preds it is, hopefully the sharks are physical with them from the first whistle

MrFlyingV

Flying V God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You know if you have to rely on Rob Scuderi for heavy minutes at this point in his career, you are in trouble. Doughty had a bad plus / minus this series but what do you expect with Sutter running him into the ground. He had no choice really with what they had on the blue line. Randy mentioning Doughty playing upwards of 25 or more minutes like he iron man or something, but those type of minutes were not beneficial in the long term. Same with the Hawks. Kane / Toews contracts are finally cracking at their depth. Losing Oduya really hurt them.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You know if you have to rely on Rob Scuderi for heavy minutes at this point in his career, you are in trouble. Doughty had a bad plus / minus this series but what do you expect with Sutter running him into the ground. He had no choice really with what they had on the blue line. Randy mentioning Doughty playing upwards of 25 or more minutes like he iron man or something, but those type of minutes were not beneficial in the long term. Same with the Hawks. Kane / Toews contracts are finally cracking at their depth. Losing Oduya really hurt them.
30 minutes a game and he was taking an ass whooping the whole time i dont how good you are you cant hold up to that

MrFlyingV

Flying V God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bruce Boudreau = dead man walking lol.

Deed is done. Bye bye Bruce. Took the fall for poor leadership and underachievement on the ice in the playoffs. That is two coaches Marleau and Thornton (err I mean Getzlaf and Perry) got fired now.

MrFlyingV

Flying V God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I am watching the pre-game for Dallas vs St. Louis and both Milbury and Jones think the Sharks are coming out of the West - lol. That is a bold prediction. A few characters are going to have step way out character for that to happen. We'll see.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Marleaus due for a streak and he often does it against the predators

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Burns named a finalist for the Norris. Scott Stevens picked him to win saying, "Everyone will talk about his offense but post All Star break he's been one of the best defensive players in the league and has continued that play into the playoffs so far."