• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Kings vs Sharks

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
5 game series and the only forwards who didnt score were Ward, wingels, and Spaling. 10 different goal scorers for the series, and the captain had 5 in 5. Fun to have that kind of diversity.

And I cannot remember a single truly bad goal from jones in any game. A few that were saveable, but I would say he only let in maybe 3 or 4 even moderately stoppable shots. All 3 tonight werent. he was nothing short of fantastic despite maybe only moderate stats.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Is he worth that 1st round pick now?

Pavs was great and hard to argue against him being MVP of this series but for me the biggest difference between this team and teams past is having Burns on the blue line. He has helped make every forward line dangerous and is playing Norris caliber hockey at both ends of the ice. The team has never had a player on the back end who could be as dominante as he is at both ends of the ice.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Is he worth that 1st round pick now?

Pavs was great and hard to argue against him being MVP of this series but for me the biggest difference between this team and teams past is having Burns on the blue line. He has helped make every forward line dangerous and is playing Norris caliber hockey at both ends of the ice. The team has never had a player on the back end who could be as dominante as he is at both ends of the ice.

yep. he's worth it. It was basically 5 one-goal games. he gives up one or two weak ones, and we're still playing, possibly down 3-2. He was co-mvp to me along with pavs, but I can't argue with your assessment of burns. I did not like his move to the back end, but he has rounded out his defensive game beautifully, and he is arguably the best offensive Dman in the league, so it's a threat they havent had since boyle in his prime.

I also loved how Deboer coached the series. He rolled all four lines. The sharks were fresh later in games and won 2 games in LA in the 3rd period (G1 and G5). He challenges the depth players to produce, and gives them big ice time and opportunities to prove themselves. Those young guys played with confidence today, and won the game. In addition, the older guys arent getting beaten down or overpressured.

Pavs never exceeded 20 mins except for the OT game. marleau never more than 18. Jumbo never more than 19. No one averaged under 10 mins except wingels at 9:40, and in this final game, noone was under 10:32. That kind of spreading the ice time keeps the team strong. Deboer did very well getting them to respond to adversity too.

lots of good things.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I thought the GWG Jones gave up in OT was bad and the Carter goal in this game was bad. But 2 bad goals with all the goals that went In off of skates and sticks and he held it together that's a big statement. The depth is nice if the 2nd and 3rd lines consistently get going it's going to be a fun playoff

MrFlyingV

Flying V God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Kill the king He'll rule no more Strike him dead The people roar Kill the king, yeah Take his head Down, down, down, down Oh, kill Oh, kill Oh, oh"

Ronnie James Dio 1978

Well I wrong on this one. They held off the storm, and righted the ship in the 3rd period. Killed the Kings. Quick wasn't good thankfully and lack of depth on the blue line killed the Kings too. Martinez injury affected them like the Vlasic injury two years ago (f u Stoll). Still they did have issues with the Kings pressure. Also, every time Dillon is out there it scares the shit out of me. But that was a big mental hump getting past their nemesis. And in just 5 games too. Good job.

Likewall32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Can SJrules and the rest of the negative nancys stfu... like for real, ive stayed of here this whole damn series cause even in wins, these same assholes just keep bitching and bitching

STFU and enjoy the playoffs -- we get it, you doubt the team --- for once I didnt doubt this team from day one cause they are revamped, underdog, expected to lose and they have been enjoyable all season --

so please eat your crow, shut the fuck up and im glad all of tierny, nieto, donskoi andkarlsson all scored in the clinching game after blowing a 3-0 lead --- I think they all did it to tell you all hey fuck off, we got this...

madcap9999

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
wait until the game is over before talking about character just yet. Donskoi has proven that he can play big in big games in Finland. I am amazed the sharks are up 4-3 with the evaporation of marleau, thornton, and pavelski in this game. I cannot remember a game they have won with those three so quiet.

Still a loooooooong way to go...

Well, the two old cancers on the team are definitely a liability year after year in terms of scoring. Shouldn't be a surprise there. Pavs OTOH is a proven winner hence the final goal.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Pavs is the first true captain on this team. I still can't believe they once gave Patty the C lol.
No offense but you guys are idiots, had Marleau or Thornton had equivalent talent support that Pavelski has now the Sharks would have atleast had 1 cup by now. Burns right now bar none is miles and away better then any defenseman the Sharks have ever had. When you can't put Couture and Marleau 2nd and 3rd line centers you got talent and depth. Has Pavelski been leading by example? Yes is he completely doing it by himself no fucking way

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
No offense but you guys are idiots, had Marleau or Thornton had equivalent talent support that Pavelski has now the Sharks would have atleast had 1 cup by now. Burns right now bar none is miles and away better then any defenseman the Sharks have ever had. When you can't put Couture and Marleau 2nd and 3rd line centers you got talent and depth. Has Pavelski been leading by example? Yes is he completely doing it by himself no fucking way

This

The effect a captain has on the team is being blown way out of proportion to a laughable extent. Not to diminish Pavelski because he has been great but the Sharks have never had a line up this deep at forward, on defense, and even in goal. That's the difference with this team winning with Pavs as captain and no matter how much people don't want to admit it Thornton is still the leader on the team on and off the ice.

23sharks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
So true.The depth is what got them here....contributions by everyone...and that's how teams win.
Wilson has to get kudos for adding Jones, Martin, Ward, and Donskoi...then trading for Spaling and Polak. All very good moves.
LA was the best team in the league 5 on 5 this season, and the Sharks outplayed them for a lot of the series even up. Yes, the power play was great, but being able to do that 5 on 5 showed how good they are.
I agree about Pavs....I love him too, but the reason they are where they are is all the additions they have made to this team. Thornton had a really good season. His 2 way play is so awesome now.
I'm just going to enjoy it.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Can SJrules and the rest of the negative nancys stfu... like for real, ive stayed of here this whole damn series cause even in wins, these same assholes just keep bitching and bitching

STFU and enjoy the playoffs -- we get it, you doubt the team --- for once I didnt doubt this team from day one cause they are revamped, underdog, expected to lose and they have been enjoyable all season --

so please eat your crow, shut the fuck up and im glad all of tierny, nieto, donskoi andkarlsson all scored in the clinching game after blowing a 3-0 lead --- I think they all did it to tell you all hey fuck off, we got this...

haha, sorry wall :-)... I guess that 25 years (or at least the last 12 years) of perennial hopes rising and getting crushed turns you into a pretty big skeptic. I understand that it can get overboard and annoying. I hope you will accept my apology.

Regarding the captaincy discussion, I think it does matter and I think Pavs as captain does make a big difference. Jumbo is in many ways a leader, and that's why he has the A, but he also can be caustic and dividing, which I have on good authority from a former sharks player. Jumbo has a good sense of humor, but also can go overboard and offend and divide a team. Pavs has been a champion in college and a leader there, and has that cool, hard working, attitude that leads by example. I am not claiming that's why they won, just that I think it shouldnt be brushed aside. I also think patty has no leadership skills, as he is very subdued and quiet as well as variable in terms of effort. The team does not look up to him, which I also have from an inside source (who also told me he was playing last year with a nagging groin issue... not intended as joke).

The depth is huge, but its also partly coaching. I can remember previous teams that were equally deep or more, like the year of ehrhoff,vlasic, Boyle, and Blake all amongst the D scoring leaders. Deboer has done a fanstastic job maximizing his troops. They are 3 deep up the middle because deboer put them there. They have had jumbo, patty, cooch and pavs for years. They could be 4 deep if they felt like it. Admittedly, I have loved what karlsson and donskoi, along with a healthy Hertl and the acquisitions like Ward have brought, but Deboer has given all four lines alot of ice and alot of confidence. He and boughner have done very well with Burns' defensive game, and every young player has been given lots of chances to succeed.

He also doesnt punish hard working guys who make mistakes. The 4th line was terrible in game 3 taking 3 very costly penalties, but in game 4, they still got their usual 10-12 mins and in game 5 had the huge tierney goal. I remember many times when Tmac would shorten the bench and it took its toll.

Great depth, but aldo very good coaching at instilling confidence in the youth.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
haha, sorry wall :-)... I guess that 25 years (or at least the last 12 years) of perennial hopes rising and getting crushed turns you into a pretty big skeptic. I understand that it can get overboard and annoying. I hope you will accept my apology.

Regarding the captaincy discussion, I think it does matter and I think Pavs as captain does make a big difference. Jumbo is in many ways a leader, and that's why he has the A, but he also can be caustic and dividing, which I have on good authority from a former sharks player. Jumbo has a good sense of humor, but also can go overboard and offend and divide a team. Pavs has been a champion in college and a leader there, and has that cool, hard working, attitude that leads by example. I am not claiming that's why they won, just that I think it shouldnt be brushed aside. I also think patty has no leadership skills, as he is very subdued and quiet as well as variable in terms of effort. The team does not look up to him, which I also have from an inside source (who also told me he was playing last year with a nagging groin issue... not intended as joke).

The depth is huge, but its also partly coaching. I can remember previous teams that were equally deep or more, like the year of ehrhoff,vlasic, Boyle, and Blake all amongst the D scoring leaders. Deboer has done a fanstastic job maximizing his troops. They are 3 deep up the middle because deboer put them there. They have had jumbo, patty, cooch and pavs for years. They could be 4 deep if they felt like it. Admittedly, I have loved what karlsson and donskoi, along with a healthy Hertl and the acquisitions like Ward have brought, but Deboer has given all four lines alot of ice and alot of confidence. He and boughner have done very well with Burns' defensive game, and every young player has been given lots of chances to succeed.

He also doesnt punish hard working guys who make mistakes. The 4th line was terrible in game 3 taking 3 very costly penalties, but in game 4, they still got their usual 10-12 mins and in game 5 had the huge tierney goal. I remember many times when Tmac would shorten the bench and it took its toll.

Great depth, but aldo very good coaching at instilling confidence in the youth.
None of those defenseman in their primes with exception to Rob Blake come anywhere near how good Burns has been this year

MrFlyingV

Flying V God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I can be as negative as want. Win the cup first. Get to finals at least. Only one series here. Been here before many times. I am not going lady Gaga over this yet.

madcap9999

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I can be as negative as want. Win the cup first. Get to finals at least. Only one series here. Been here before many times. I am not going lady Gaga over this yet.

You gotta admit tho, SJ coming back in the 3rd against their arch nemesis, a team they choked against the last 2 times, is a large step in the right direction.

MrFlyingV

Flying V God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a huge step in the right direction. Showed real heart there. I think with Jones we might have a real goalie stud long term. Niemi not quite good enought but Jones seems to be the real deal. First full season look where he is. Plus he has to deal with Dillon in front of him. I do remember the Sharks beating the Kings in series a few years ago (the one where Thornton slid across the ice after his OT winner). So are they back to even with that team? I don't know. Is this the beginning of a new era, or last shot with Thornton/Marleau. We'll see how the next round goes. Would be great if they could go through both the Kings and Anaheim.

Likewall32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
None of those defenseman in their primes with exception to Rob Blake come anywhere near how good Burns has been this year

SMDH -- Burns is still a terrible damn-- Martin makes Burns what he is right now -- Strip Martin and you will have a fucking Kieth Yandle... aggg The lack of knowledge on this board is so funny...

Rules I accept your apology.. But for this numnuts to say Burns is the be all, nah man, are you fucking blinding -- he still sucks major dick on D... Martin is the reason Burns is beasting, and if you dont understand that then I wonder why you even try to post creditable shit lol

Likewall32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
And for the lackeys that said that Pavs isnt a good cptn and that marleu & thorton would to the same wit hthe talent -- No they fucking wouldnt... we have had way more talented teams... Thornton evelated his game 10 folds this year and its cause he WASNT the cptn - its cause Pavs WAS... Marleau is Marleaue the weakest link on the team... Pavs is what we ALL used to say should be captn when we were all friending -- now that he is, and notw that we are doing good -- the same fucks gotta bash him -- and those fucks will never be happy..

This team is my favortie team since 93-94... I love it, it works and I dont care where they go cause they are a fun fucking team and even better THIS new team revamped jumbo... Only thing that will make this team better is get rid of Marleau and it will be the be all end all team (oh yea, and dillon)

Id still like to punch the dude that compaired Blake to to Burns lol --- learn the game jackhole. Blake is a whole nother breed...

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
SMDH -- Burns is still a terrible damn-- Martin makes Burns what he is right now -- Strip Martin and you will have a fucking Kieth Yandle... aggg The lack of knowledge on this board is so funny...

Rules I accept your apology.. But for this numnuts to say Burns is the be all, nah man, are you fucking blinding -- he still sucks major dick on D... Martin is the reason Burns is beasting, and if you dont understand that then I wonder why you even try to post creditable shit lol
It's a good thing you have a reputation for being an billigerent ignorant fucktard or I might have taken what you posted seriously, you've proven time and time again you only speak out of your ass and know nothing about the game. You big your favorite players and styles and just go with that.

The fact that you can't see that Burns is.a better overall defenseman the Blake speaks to that, BlKe always had a baby sitter partner to cover up for his Gaffs on a regular basis, the last great defenseman who didn't need one was Lidstrom