• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Kings @ Oilers 2023 WCQF G6

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, all the marbles on the line tonight. The Kings failed miserably in G5, they absolutely must play a better game starting with coming out ready to go in the first. I'm pretty sure Edmonton has been spotted 2-0 leads in every first period this season at home against LA.

I think game time is 7pm, it was TBD but I saw that somewhere. Going to head to Home Depot and get some stuff, putt around on the Harley for a bit and then settle in for the game tonight. Hoping they win and we get a G7 in LA, put some pressure on the Oilers.

Question: if they lose tonight, what is your view on progress from last year vs this year?

Let's go Kings!

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oops, my bad - should be Kings vs Oilers - forgot they were at home tonight.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McLord may not be at 100%:

Even a 1 legged McDavid is dangerous, just look at Draisack last year after Anderson messed up his ankle. I wouldn't use that as a crutch, but this is a full on green light to hit him every single chance they get. Only Doughty has been doing that throughout the series (and he said he would prior to the series) with one takedown from Byfield that I've seen. The rest of the team needs to punish him.

They also need to be careful though and not go out of their way and take penalties because well...58% PP.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also looks like Arvidsson will be on the top line with Kempe and Kopitar per The Athletic.

Interesting, they tried that last year after Arvidsson was brought over and there was zero chemistry with Kopitar, but that could be said for about 90% of the wingers he has had throughout his career. The only ones I can really remember working out are Kempe, Williams and Brown and then Lucic to a degree although he was only here for the one season.

I havent looked at LAKI today but if thats what they're going with the forward lines may look like this, The Lizard is back in tonight too:

9 11 33
12 24 19/22
55 13 22/19
91 46 89

Also a possibility for the B6 although Lizotte is better suited in the 4C slot. That fourth line has been killed all seriws long forcing McLellan to shorten the bench:

22 46 13
55 89 91

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yikes, talk about a blender. This will either go really good or really bad. I don't like tye Arvidsson match up at all against The Twins, he's been ragdolled a lot this series as is.

Season on the line and Byfield 3C? I hope McLellan doesn't get McLellaned.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230429_124044_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20230429_124044_Firefox.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 2
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah you never know overall, but would like to see Kings go out swinging. Clearly can't stop their firepower, but at the same time, I still don't think Edmonton defends particularly well or has great goaltending. Get a win here at home and, like Puck said, and most people agree, force a Game 7 and put all the pressure on Edmonton.

Would like to see more from Fiala. Maybe still hurt, but he disappeared all of Game 5 and then took that insanely bad penalty for seemingly no reason other than that he was frustrated? The knock on him from Minnesota fans was he would disappear come playoff time, so I would like to see him step his game up. He was everywhere in that first period Game 4 and then just seemed to stop being aggressive. I think Kings slotting him on the 3rd line is a protection overall, and he really doesn't have the normal pressure. But then that line needs to win matchups.

Kings blueprint to winning it continue to take McDavid out of the game, try to bring the Edmonton PP back down to earth, perhaps by not taking penalties. Korpisalo will need to outplay Skinner. And Kings honestly have to drive some play and try to get, and then capitalize on PP's of their own. They were carrying 5 on 5 play early in the series, but that seems to have changed the last 5 periods.

I'm okay with the crazy line combos. Rather go out with something crazy like that than just sit back and see the same setup as Game 5.

I see everything everyone else does with Byfield, but dude is 20 years old, so having him face the likes of McDavid and Draisaitl is tough, and maybe he should have been exposed earlier than he has. I'm surprised it took this long to be honest. His allergies when it comes to scoring goals have been rough, but this is all a tough position to throw him into. I think 3rd line duties might be a better fit overall.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McLord may not be at 100%:

Even a 1 legged McDavid is dangerous, just look at Draisack last year after Anderson messed up his ankle. I wouldn't use that as a crutch, but this is a full on green light to hit him every single chance they get. Only Doughty has been doing that throughout the series (and he said he would prior to the series) with one takedown from Byfield that I've seen. The rest of the team needs to punish him.

They also need to be careful though and not go out of their way and take penalties because well...58% PP.

Interesting. Maybe you go all out on stopping Draisaitl then. I think with the Kings PK being as bad as it's been, I'd maybe just open it up and try to go shorthanded chances. Worst case, the PP scores faster and you just rip the bandaid off. Sitting back isn't working, and I'd honestly try anything different at this point.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would like to see more from Fiala. Maybe still hurt, but he disappeared all of Game 5 and then took that insanely bad penalty for seemingly no reason other than that he was frustrated? The knock on him from Minnesota fans was he would disappear come playoff time, so I would like to see him step his game up. He was everywhere in that first period Game 4 and then just seemed to stop being aggressive. I think Kings slotting him on the 3rd line is a protection overall, and he really doesn't have the normal pressure. But then that line needs to win matchups.

He isn't at 100% either, I think that's obvious not to mention in game shape. I don't think he has disappeared, he is making Edmonton think twice and and you can see when he's our there they are not as aggressive with him as say Moore or Arvidsson or someone else.

Win or lose, I think he makes his presence felt tonight. He is going to have a big game - just a hunch.

Kings blueprint to winning it continue to take McDavid out of the game, try to bring the Edmonton PP back down to earth, perhaps by not taking penalties. Korpisalo will need to outplay Skinner. And Kings honestly have to drive some play and try to get, and then capitalize on PP's of their own. They were carrying 5 on 5 play early in the series, but that seems to have changed the last 5 periods.

100%.

I'm okay with the crazy line combos. Rather go out with something crazy like that than just sit back and see the same setup as Game 5.

They have nothing to lose at this point I guess. My only issue is this should have been done earlier in the series. Byfield has been a zip factor on the top line, that was obvious after G2. This is my reference to McLellan being McLellaned, adjustments being made way later than they should be.

That dumb ass passive PK diamond, line changes, not quite the game I would try that in built their season is tonight. PK needs to be way more aggressive because they ate being picked apart but again, G6? OK Coach, let's see what you got.

I see everything everyone else does with Byfield, but dude is 20 years old, so having him face the likes of McDavid and Draisaitl is tough, and maybe he should have been exposed earlier than he has. I'm surprised it took this long to be honest. His allergies when it comes to scoring goals have been rough, but this is all a tough position to throw him into. I think 3rd line duties might be a better fit overall.

Fair enough, but his age is an excuse. There are literally 10 other guys his age from that same draft who have played better, progressed and produced more with less opportunities (linemates, PP1 time, etc.) than he has all season long including the POs.

The Kings should have taken Lucas Raymond (LW) or Sanderson (LHD) with that pick over this guy.

The Kings drafted 50000 centers since 2017, one of them could have maybe addressed the 1C position to succeed Kopitar. Getting a Barkov as your 1C (1R/2/2013 - same spot as Byfield) in the 1st round is just as much possible as getting a Bergeron (2R/45th/2003) statistically if you look it up. Quick was a 3rd round pick and turned into LAs starter for 16 years.

At certain points in a franchise, you need to draft for need not BPA.

Last edited:

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kings look extremely nervous to start, Byfield with a defensive lapse again allowing Kane to get into the zone and then whiffing in front of Skinner on his own chance.

I'm getting so frustrated with this guy and his crappy level of play all over the ice ugh.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least not buried yet, i dont understand how they can make the oilers look good on d...that takes talent

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are allowing way too much space in the NZ and not slowing them down on entry. Durzi...yikes. Goal or not this dude cannot play defense.

At least it's only 2-1, not out of it by any means but they absolutely need to storm the barn this period and clog up the NZ entirely.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shocker
Oilers have most offensive time of any team in the playoffs
Thankfully no power plays in the first

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kings just look for the pass on PP, soon as puck heading towards them they are already looking for the pass

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Throw it at the net....

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00