• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Kings vs Oilers 2023 WCQF G3

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Kings win the series all they will talk about in Canada is “the touch”
Ok and the refs and buttman want LA to win

Keep talking then, I could go another 30 years not seeing a Canadian team lift the Cup. Especially one as "entitled" as Edmonton.

Shut your hole, stop taking stupid penalties and stop whining when they're actually called.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Getting him back would be huge, a look the Oilers haven't seen yet in this series. Back on the third line, that really throws a wrench into Edmontons plans because they cannot counter that. I don't expect him to be at 100% but even 80% Fiala would be great. He also wouldn't take guff, who says us short 5'10" guys aren't mean.

I just watched a replay of Moores goal, I have no idea was Nurse was thinking. That guy isn't worth the contract he got at all. If I recall he got burned on Iafallos goal too in G1. The gift that keeps on giving, he's like an oversized Sean Durzi almost.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quick read on the goal: Why Kings' overtime winner vs. Oilers counted after review for high stick

And this answers my question why it was reviewed, same article:

The NHL added video reviews for what it calls "missed stoppages of play in the offensive zone that lead to goals" ahead of the 2019-20 season. These reviews fall under a coach's challenge except for in the final minute of regulation and in overtime.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Edmonton Journal and Oiler grades, this guy is tough on them but also a massive homer.

It wasn't Doughty that got slashed after Edmonton scored, it was Kempe, and that hit on McRef was about as clean and solid as it comes.

The irony they mentioned trying to hit him to run him out of the building whereas McLord did just that to Anderson is gravy.

Will agree with the Arvidsson dig, that didn't even look that bad. Arvidsson acted like a soccer player on that one.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unreal game. Crazy energy for sure. Underdog Kings, weekend game, venue change. Just a lot of energy and booze as you could imagine. I was sober for this one, but I believe I was the only one sober in the building. haha. I sat in 200 level in a solo seat and they were telling me it was solo because the lady just passed away. So I was with all her friends, and they were really nice, but weird intro convo on that game. Knowledgeable fans and high energy so it was fun for me, but felt weird to have the initial conversation.

VERY hard to follow some of those calls in person. Especially the endgame where they just didn't tell us anything for 20 minutes. We just had to see the refs tell the Kings and Oilers players not to leave the bench, then we saw Skinner go back in net... then eventually Korpisalo go back in net. All very bad signs after we all exploded in celebration on the win. So we were pretty much prepared to see the game resume, and I was more wondering how much time was left on the power play to see if the Kings could try to get back after it. But call stood and place went crazy again. We also had no idea what happened on the Arvdisson triple axel he did where he didn't get up. Watching live it just looked bad, but glad he came back, and seeing later he got tripped but he probably did most of that himself.

I was so hyped coming home, I watched the whole replay when I got home and dove in on social media. You would not believe the amount of crying on the Edmonton side. The best quote I saw was "I found the teardrop in the Oiler logo" from how much crying I have seen. Woodcroft interview was pretty embarrassing too on how he believes Villardi high stick happened. I don't really get it overall. Even if you believe there was irrefutable evidence on the "missed call", the play went on for like 30 seconds after, and you're making it seem like of the 60 plus minutes of game time, that call was the only thing that made you guys lose? Zero accountability from this heavily favored team. How about not trying to do all the chickenshit stuff after every single whistle? I see them mad at the Draisaitl call after McDavid 2nd goal, but like maybe.... don't taunt and go slash Doughty after the call? Perhaps? Evander Kane does about 3-4 borderline things a game, and they seem to call two of them, and people are blown away. Dude has something wrong with him for sure. Their defense is big and talented, but they are so aggressive and undisciplined. Where is Nurse going on that first Iafallo goal? He just leaves Iafallo at the net and gives the Kings one. Nice to see LA burning their aggression too. The Byfield dump over the defense in OT to Iafallo was beautiful. Same thing though, Nugent-Hopkins comes in and just breaks Iafallo's stick. Not even making a play on the puck to setup the PP in OT that led to the winner. Kings are sitting back a little too much for my liking, but it's hard to argue with the overall gameplan of just taking McDavid out of the game 5 on 5. Just would like to see our defense be half as aggressive when in the Edmonton zone because they seem to retreat too fast. One forward just working his ass off with no help is tough to watch.

The best comment I saw was Edmonton fan saying how much better Oilers are than Kings because they Kings are only relying on PP to win games, but the irony is just in your face with how Edmonton scored their only two goals of Game 3. Real analysts I've seen have basically laid it out that yes, Edmonton has played better for longer stretches, but they don't get scoring from anyone not named McDavid or Draistaitl, and they rarely get scoring outside of their PP. Korpisalo made some massive saves and it outplaying Skinner, who I will say, did actually make 2-3 big saves in Game 3. Yes, McDavid got two goals on him, but Korpisalo stoned him at least twice in the third. Skinner with the big saves on the zero on two breakaway and a few others. I liked the idea of McEwen before Game 3, but man was he a liability. He almost caused a goal against every shift he was out there. I think I might throw Kaliyev in there for McEwen and that'd be my only major change.

If I had to bet, honestly, winner of Game 4 probably takes the series. I think both teams could use this win to propel them forward. Just the vibe of it all.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice recap, thanks for the share. Interesting that Staples also didn't really know what was going on with the Vilardi situation.

Completely agree with the loser mentality assessment. The Oilers had a lot of chances themselves to win the game so to hinge it on something like that that literally had no bearing on the outcome because of the time lapse after is pathetic. I'd be pissed too if it was flipped and that happened to LA but I'd also say the same thing, it didn't affect them outcome.

I will say I like McLellans approach to those situations, it happened, rear view mirror, move on. Kind of like Sutter and his "park and ride" or "fly at 11". In contrast seeing plastic man Woodcroft blast officiating, what a clown. Look at your team asshat And it begins with McRef and 29.

Glad you had fun, reminds me of when I would use Ox's tickets in 215 and meet people around his seats. Over the years I got to know ushers, STHs too but sometimes random people who were sitting in those seats and the owners couldn't make it. Fun times and by the end of the game always a pleasant experience meeting new fans and talking shop.

I'm still laughing at Arvidsson's barrel roll, that one was almost on par with Kesler flailing all over one year holding onto Mike Richards' stick as he was trying to leave the Vancouver zone. Solid 9.5 on the dive Vik.

=)~~