• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

KHL: Filatov plans to return to Columbus (NHL)

MM213

Медведей не кормить
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
from Soviet Sport

"I'm sure I'll be ready for training camp. Change of coach does not mean much for me, I was going to return anyway. When I left last November, I said I'll return regardless of who's coaching"

Last season, when Ken Hitchcock was Columbus head coach, Filatov played in 6 out of first 19 games and spent on ice total of 8 minutes.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scott Arniel appears to be the front-runner for the Columbus head coaching job. He's done a fine job in the AHL with the Manitoba Meeses.

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Filatov really seemed like he needed to add some muscle before succeeding in the NHL. He's got some amazing skills, but he might need to toughen up in the A for a bit... wasn't that one of his gripes, if he was going to come to America he wanted to be in the NHL, not the minors?

Then again, there are often translation issues in Russian journalism that make stories like this tough to pin down as far as accuracy goes.

scottflyers88

Lets Go Flyers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
filatov was rated pretty high on hockeysfuture.com. hitchcock should have played him more or they should have sent him down to the ahl. what is the point of having your top prospect play 2 minutes a game?

MM213

Медведей не кормить
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Filatov really seemed like he needed to add some muscle before succeeding in the NHL. He's got some amazing skills, but he might need to toughen up in the A for a bit... wasn't that one of his gripes, if he was going to come to America he wanted to be in the NHL, not the minors?

Then again, there are often translation issues in Russian journalism that make stories like this tough to pin down as far as accuracy goes.

He actually said it in interview to Columbus Dispatch. I just reverse-translated it from Soviet Sport. Didn't bother to lookup the source.
I think he is ready for NHL. Maybe not for top line yet. He just needs a less conservative coach. Arniel (if he gets the job) should be great for him.

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
filatov was rated pretty high on hockeysfuture.com. hitchcock should have played him more or they should have sent him down to the ahl. what is the point of having your top prospect play 2 minutes a game?

Hockey's Future is a great website, but don't read too much into the ratings. However Filatov was pretty universally regarded as the most talented guy to come out of Russia since OV and Malkin. I do agree with the idea of either having your stud prospect playing top minutes for the big club, or top minutes in the A. I was under the impression that Filatov refused to be sent to the A, so he was kept in Columbus... however you know Hitch and his propensity for limiting players TOI if they aren't defensively stellar.

Then again, you also know how stories like this get blown out of proportion, especially when Ruskies are involved.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
unbelievable hands on that guy.
He's going to be a big boost, assuming the new guy gives him ice time.

it's like Tortorella giving Stamkos 4th line ice time. wtf? the entire league could see that kid chomping at the bit, and torotella was too stupid to play him.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be interesting to see what happens. He sure stepped on a lot of toes here, not just the sizable toes of Hitch. He has great talent, but I'm not sure anyone wants his attitude around.

I wonder if the Jackets will try to deal him in the offseason for a hole filler, or take the chance of letting him come to camp in shape and possibly get more.

Should be interesting to see. I will be surprised if he's on the opening night roster.

MM213

Медведей не кормить
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It will be interesting to see what happens. He sure stepped on a lot of toes here, not just the sizable toes of Hitch. He has great talent, but I'm not sure anyone wants his attitude around.
We are talking about Filatov, not Zherdev or Radulov :)
I don't remember Filatov saying or doing anything wrong while with Columbus. Besides, of course, being a defensive liability :)

wart0027

(Insert witty quip here)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
La Femme just won the Calder on my most recent NHL10 endevour... if that means anything.