• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kelvin Benjamin

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
He was awesome tonight against the Seahawks.

Caught 2 TDs, and almost caught a 3rd in between those two over top of Richard Sherman but his foot stepped out of the end zone. Jumped up right over Sherman who had no chance.

Can't think of the last time a WR had 2 TD catches against the recent Seahawks? (almost 3?)

I wish we would have drafted him. He could have been our possession / end zone receiver, grooming behind Boldin.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Throwing a jump ball to Kelvin Benjamin over Richard Sherman is legit...

throwing a jump ball to Michael Crabtree over Richard Sherman is a joke, that shit will get picked off more often than not.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baalke missed on ward but its ok because he knocked out of the park with the other picks. I wish we took a WR instead of Ward. Ward still has a shot but he needs a nice year next year.

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This draft had the best group of WR's in a long time, I think we could have traded to get ahead of Carolina and snag Benjamin he could have helped us out big time.

:agree: You're spot on. It wouldn't have taken much to trade up ahead of the Panthers. He would have been a great red zone target, something the Niners needed. They were counting on VD, but he was MIA all season.

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Throwing a jump ball to Kelvin Benjamin over Richard Sherman is legit...

throwing a jump ball to Michael Crabtree over Richard Sherman is a joke, that shit will get picked off more often than not.

Crabtree can't create separation and he definitely will not out jump Sherman. I hope the Niners do not resign him. Let's get a WR coach who knows what the hell he's doing. Morton was a joke.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crabtree can't create separation and he definitely will not out jump Sherman. I hope the Niners do not resign him. Let's get a WR coach who knows what the hell he's doing. Morton was a joke.

:agree: WR has been a big weakness since Harbaugh has been HC. Have not developed a goid reliable WR during his tenure. Lets see if the new regime can do anything wirh Patton or Ellington

optimist4720

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You cant develop what you don't draft... We have under drafted/poorly drafted WR/TE for some time. Even VD is not a typical TE size wise. Wr poor 49ers need to upgrade both positions and unfortunately it might be a multi year proposition.

optimist4720

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Baalke didn't knock anthony out of the park in 2014. We had a horrible year offensively. We didn't draft playmakers and the offense suffered greatly. Only hit on late players in 3rd rd. who were passed over. You need to hit on 1 st rd and 2 nd and we did only mediocre there. Drafting a 5"9' slot guy is nothing to brag about especially with Bengamin going 2 picks earlier at # 28 who can actually win jump ball muscle situations in the red zone. Baalke does get it sometimes..drafting smallish guys is not the way to go..smallish DBS ,smallish wr just don't match up well against Seattle.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't say the 2014 draft was a home run or a bust yet. Hard to evaluate after just one season. Ward struggled and was then injured. Marcus Martin started of the season injured, came in and played one of the toughest positions on the line his rookie season. Ellington has been pedestrian in the return game. At least he catches the ball, but hasn't been dynamic. Hasn't played in the offense enough to judge yet. Carlos Hyde has looked good and has a lot of promise, but still hasn't played enough to stay he is going to be a star. I liked the corners they drafted. They showed some promise during the preseason and Johnson has looked good at times. Hopefully, they pan out.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't say the 2014 draft was a home run or a bust yet. Hard to evaluate after just one season. Ward struggled and was then injured. Marcus Martin started of the season injured, came in and played one of the toughest positions on the line his rookie season. Ellington has been pedestrian in the return game. At least he catches the ball, but hasn't been dynamic. Hasn't played in the offense enough to judge yet. Carlos Hyde has looked good and has a lot of promise, but still hasn't played enough to stay he is going to be a star. I liked the corners they drafted. They showed some promise during the preseason and Johnson has looked good at times. Hopefully, they pan out.

Are you seriously forgetting about Borland, probably the most productive of all the draft picks? So to recap:

Martin played VERY well in limited time, an obvious upgrade over Kilgore
Johnson played well and showed promise as his PT increased
Borland was a bonafide stud as a rookie and makes the Pro Bowl if he played the entire season
Lynch was a steal in the 5th and outplayed Brooks all season long
Ellington did decently well considering how little work he got on offense and stabilized our return game by actually catching the ball
Hyde was an absolute beast when he got the ball but because of Roman's stupidity he didn't get the ball much.

Thomas (a steal in the 3rd), Millard (think Delanie-type player), Acker, Reaser, and Ramsey all got red-shirt years.

So of this draft class, only Ward "underachieved" although I still hold out hope for him because he is physically gifted with a very cerebral approach to the game.

How is this draft NOT seen as a slam dunk considering how little rookies have played in other years under Baalke's time as GM? More then a couple picks were IMPACT players for the Niners this year. Lynch, Borland, and Hyde along make this draft a good one. Factor in some of the other's contributions and there is no way you can look at year one of this 2014 class and think anything other then it's a success!

optimist4720

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Not a slam dunk cuz he didn't draft a prototype Wr with size when there were multiple Wr with size that could help with our problems in the red zone and help the offense in general. Guess what...we are still looking to draft that position this year with less talent at that position at # 15. so a year later we are still looking to draft what we could have gotten at # 28 last year by trading up 3spots.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
There's so many rookie WRs doing well this year and it sucks we didn't grab one of them.
(Beckham Jr., Benjamin, Jordan Mathews... did you guys see Davante Adams today for the Packers?).

We need to steal someone from the Packers scouting team to scout WRs. They seem to nail it on WRs and have a steady flow of them up and coming and they let the vets walk.

Jennings and James Jones walked, they got Jordy Nelson and Randall Cobb
Then now they got Adams and Boykin in the queue. And they groom them properly too.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Are you seriously forgetting about Borland, probably the most productive of all the draft picks? So to recap:

Borland was a bonafide stud as a rookie and makes the Pro Bowl if he played the entire season
Ellington did decently well considering how little work he got on offense and stabilized our return game by actually catching the ball
Hyde was an absolute beast when he got the ball but because of Roman's stupidity he didn't get the ball much.

Thomas (a steal in the 3rd), Millard (think Delanie-type player), Acker, Reaser, and Ramsey all got red-shirt years.

So of this draft class, only Ward "underachieved" although I still hold out hope for him because he is physically gifted with a very cerebral approach to the game.

How is this draft NOT seen as a slam dunk considering how little rookies have played in other years under Baalke's time as GM? More then a couple picks were IMPACT players for the Niners this year. Lynch, Borland, and Hyde along make this draft a good one. Factor in some of the other's contributions and there is no way you can look at year one of this 2014 class and think anything other then it's a success!

there were more than few articles indicating he did not play well at all. not going to look for it now, but I wonder about "VERY well"?

Not knocking on him because he did come out early, and is in a tough position mentally. So just saying I question if he played VERY well this season? He couldn't have been better than Kilgore we read did know his line calls.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Borland and Lynch were awesome pickups. Martin looked good at times and struggled at times. Not unexpected for a rookie that is put in that position.

I am not saying this was bad draft or a really good one. Thomas hasn't played a snap so I can't call him a draft steal. Neither Hyde nor Ellington has played enough for me to call them one way or another. I think Hyde will be really good once he is the starter. Several of these guys could be future all-pros. I just don't grade a draft pick based on potential. I like to rate a draft two or three years down the line unless the players drafted were instant successes and busts which is mostly not the case with the 49ers as the rookies other than Borland and Lynch haven't played a lot.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You cant develop what you don't draft... We have under drafted/poorly drafted WR/TE for some time. Even VD is not a typical TE size wise. Wr poor 49ers need to upgrade both positions and unfortunately it might be a multi year proposition.

AJ Jenkins was a disaster pick. Even in KC, he looks like a minor role player. I still have to wonder about Patton and Ellington and the coaching staff's ability to develop these players. They hardly were on the fleld. The coaching staff opted for the vets, Crabtree, Johnson, and Boldin most of the time. Boldin was the player that was good consistently. Johnson looked good early till he was injured. The team still needs some speed at WR though.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there were more than few articles indicating he did not play well at all. not going to look for it now, but I wonder about "VERY well"?

Not knocking on him because he did come out early, and is in a tough position mentally. So just saying I question if he played VERY well this season? He couldn't have been better than Kilgore we read did know his line calls.

So Deep, what did your EYES tell you about his play? Explain to me explicitly what would make you think he didn't play well given his circumstances. And don't refer to articles in defense, refer to something that you personally saw, anecdotal or otherwise. Is it a coincidence that inside pressure stopped happening almost entirely once he was inserted into the lineup? Kilgore was a turnstile in run blocking and regularly got pushed back into the pocket like he was on skates when pass protecting. Martin was a significant upgrade and that was without knowing shit in terms of line calls. Knowing your line calls and playing well are two different things. Would it help you if I took the VERY out and simply say he played well?

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Borland and Lynch were awesome pickups. Martin looked good at times and struggled at times. Not unexpected for a rookie that is put in that position.

I am not saying this was bad draft or a really good one. Thomas hasn't played a snap so I can't call him a draft steal. Neither Hyde nor Ellington has played enough for me to call them one way or another. I think Hyde will be really good once he is the starter. Several of these guys could be future all-pros. I just don't grade a draft pick based on potential. I like to rate a draft two or three years down the line unless the players drafted were instant successes and busts which is mostly not the case with the 49ers as the rookies other than Borland and Lynch haven't played a lot.

I'm just busting your balls because based on other Baalke drafts, its rare to see more then maybe one rookie get REAL PT as you stated and this draft had guys up and down that DID actually get some PT.