• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kelly Headed to LSU

desert heat

prominent member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,531.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say Fickell would have been my top choice nut only because of experience. Everything I've read indicates this the right guy for the job.
you'd think the nd job would have attracted quite a good list of very qualified candidates, so hard to understand why they were so quick to give someone with no hc experience the job.

also gotta wonder what was happening behind the scenes to make kelly leave. seems no nd coaches are going with him.

as i recall, nd hired kelly away from cincinnati just as cincinnati had been selected for a rare appearance in the sugar bowl. so i guess what comes around goes around.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like the Freeman era is about to begin. Hopefully he can accomplish what Kelly chose not to.
The more I think.

Freeman would be a great choice
I teach a kid that's a top recruit this year... (he's actually going to Alabama next year)... but he was recruited by Notre Dame as well...

... this kid told me that Marcus Freeman was the single best coach he met while he was being recruited... raved about him.

Made me feel pretty good about the prospect of Freeman as the next ND head coach... figured I'd past this info along.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you'd think the nd job would have attracted quite a good list of very qualified candidates, so hard to understand why they were so quick to give someone with no hc experience the job.

also gotta wonder what was happening behind the scenes to make kelly leave. seems no nd coaches are going with him.

as i recall, nd hired kelly away from cincinnati just as cincinnati had been selected for a rare appearance in the sugar bowl. so i guess what comes around goes around.
Well the people at Notre Dame have been around Freeman for a year and that was enough time for them so see enough in him to believe he can get the job done.

desert heat

prominent member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,531.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the people at Notre Dame have been around Freeman for a year and that was enough time for them so see enough in him to believe he can get the job done.
swarbrick apparently likes the current system and decided to take the gamble and stabilize the situation.

The last five coaches hired without previous college head coaching experience....Charlie Weis (2005), Bob Davie (1997), Gerry Faust (1981), Joe Kuharich (1959) and Terry Brennan (1954). None of them ended well.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I
swarbrick apparently likes the current system and decided to take the gamble and stabilize the situation.

The last five coaches hired without previous college head coaching experience....Charlie Weis (2005), Bob Davie (1997), Gerry Faust (1981), Joe Kuharich (1959) and Terry Brennan (1954). None of them ended well.
I think the difference between those guys and Freeman is the elite recruiting ability, elite teaching ability and the energy the guy brings to the room. Compared to those guys you listed. He is a different animal compared to Weis, Davie or Faust.

desert heat

prominent member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,531.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I

I think the difference between those guys and Freeman is the elite recruiting ability, elite teaching ability and the energy the guy brings to the room. Compared to those guys you listed. He is a different animal compared to Weis, Davie or Faust.
they were highly touted during their hiring too. i guess we'll find out next year. they open with ohio state on the road, and have clemson on the road too.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they were highly touted during their hiring too. i guess we'll find out next year. they open with ohio state on the road, and have clemson on the road too.
I don't recall Weis being as highly thought of as Freeman coming in Davies and Faust perhaps but only time will tell.

desert heat

prominent member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,531.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't recall Weis being as highly thought of as Freeman coming in Davies and Faust perhaps but only time will tell.
weis was suppose to be the dream coach, a perfect fit and genius super bowl winning oc.

davies was groomed by lou holtz.

faust was a little more obscure.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
weis was suppose to be the dream coach, a perfect fit and genius super bowl winning oc.

davies was groomed by lou holtz.

faust was a little more obscure.
But unlike Freeman Weis had never coached or recruited for college football. I believe that was always the question mark. Freeman has an energy about him that the others did not.

desert heat

prominent member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,531.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But unlike Freeman Weis had never coached or recruited for college football. I believe that was always the question mark. Freeman has an energy about him that the others did not.
time will tell. he's only 35, he better have energy.

i still would rather freeman was made interim, and nd went through a more meticulous hiring process before making a final choice. don't want to go back to the pre kelly era.

Last edited:

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
time will tell. he's only 35, he better have energy.

i still would rather freeman was made interim, and nd went through a more meticulous hiring process before making a final choice. don't want to go back to the pre kelly era.
I don't believe they will. Freeman was the right hire the two greatest Notre Dame coaches were both younger than Freeman when they got the job (Rockne, and Leahy).

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and faust was nothing but a high school coach as i recall.

desert heat

prominent member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,531.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so kelly finally beat alabama. looks like they'll win their division and play georgia.

Last edited: