• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Keith Rivers

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joe Reedy reported in his most recent Enquirer column that there were a few whispers that the team tried to reach an injury settlement with Keith Rivers given his wrist injury. Reedy believes that Rivers might eventually find his way onto the IR for the rest of the season, and reasons that the Bengals don't have much use for him or his high salary going forward (I'm reading some of that into his short response discussing the injury settlement).

Anyway, this got me thinking.... A few of us make fun of Rivers/point out his flaws around here. Yet, from what I can gather from the common fan, this guy generally gets a free pass. Where is the outrage about how much of a bust this guy has been? All fans know the story of Andre Smith and are quick to jump to the conclusion that he is a bust. But what about Rivers? The kid was a top 10 pick and has not been one of the best linebackers, on a linebacker starved team, since he has been here. It's now looking like he might be finished as a Bengal.

To me, Keith Rivers is a huge bust - One that nobody seems to mention when they talk about bad Bengal draft picks.

vancelot23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You're right. I was over on footballpros during the New England game, and Phil McConkey was on, as well as Andy Freeland, who does research for NBC Football broadcasts. I mentioned that NE drafted well, and the mentioned Chad Jackson, Darius Butler, Meriweather, and another player. I said, that other than Jackson, I'd take all of them over Rivers. I was immediately inundated with "he's consistent", he's solid, he's a good guy, he's a good player. I'm not sure why, but people think he actually contributes.

Be Weary of Query

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He is mediocre at best and I have always felt that way. I never got up in arms up about it but I have been vocal in the past about him and his absolute lack of big plays.

If you are a top ten pick and the best anyone can say about you is that you are "consistent"? Well...

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most of our draft picks are busts, it's surprising we have any serviceable players at all.

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree he's a huge bust.....top ten picks have to become stars, and Rivers has failed miserably in that respect....he barely contributes, and has had multiple injury problems.....I also can not stand that he never took revenge on Hines Ward for his cheap shot.....a Nancy,for sure......

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I have a hard time faulting Rivers as much as the organization on this one....

I don't consider him a bust as much as I do a player that was severly over-drafted. i'm aware that draft write-ups are speculative and hit and miss, but everything I read made it sound as though he had a low celing, wasn't a playmaker etc... if it's a premium position like QB, Tackle, pass rusher etc taking a safe player with low upside can make sense.. if you get 10 yrs worth of solid, quality QB or line play out of top ten pick it's not a bad investment... taking a "safe" (read: non probowl potential) weakside LBer in the top 10 is terrible investment..

and due to injuries, bad circumstances etc he hasn't even lived up to his "safe" label. he's been a non factor..

he falls into the Michael Johnson category for me. big rep in College, looks the part physically, but neither produces much on the field. the difference is one was a 3rd rd pick, the other a top 10 pick...

btw, I'm sure some people get annoyed when I allude to the bengals brd insiders, but they've been saying for the past 6 months or so that Rivers hates it in Cincy, and was even an extra piece in some of the Carson trade discussions (i'm assuming Seattle)

Be Weary of Query

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I have a hard time faulting Rivers as much as the organization on this one....

I don't consider him a bust as much as I do a player that was severly over-drafted. i'm aware that draft write-ups are speculative and hit and miss, but everything I read made it sound as though he had a low celing, wasn't a playmaker etc... if it's a premium position like QB, Tackle, pass rusher etc taking a safe player with low upside can make sense.. if you get 10 yrs worth of solid, quality QB or line play out of top ten pick it's not a bad investment... taking a "safe" (read: non probowl potential) weakside LBer in the top 10 is terrible investment..

and due to injuries, bad circumstances etc he hasn't even lived up to his "safe" label. he's been a non factor..

he falls into the Michael Johnson category for me. big rep in College, looks the part physically, but neither produces much on the field. the difference is one was a 3rd rd pick, the other a top 10 pick...

btw, I'm sure some people get annoyed when I allude to the bengals brd insiders, but they've been saying for the past 6 months or so that Rivers hates it in Cincy, and was even an extra piece in some of the Carson trade discussions (i'm assuming Seattle)

This wouldn't surprise me at all.

The dude never talks about the Bengals (I follow him on Twitter...typing that made me feel manly) but pumps sunshine all the time up USC's ass. He can hit the fucking road for all I care.

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a complete bum. He isn't good enough to play in this league.