• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Keep the Rams in St Louis Rally

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not that I am trying to alienate my Rams brethern who either live in So Cal or in other places besides STL, but I figured I would take a second to post information about a rally that is going to occur on LaCledes Landing in St Louis on April 5th, 2014. Live music, former players and a place to go to show the city and state government AND ESK that we in St Louis WANT the Rams to stay and that the powers that be need to get on the stick and make it happen.

Also, the MC for the event is pretty decent I heard... :agree::rollseyes:

you can see more info on facebook at facebook.com/keeptheramsinstlouis

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not that I am trying to alienate my Rams brethern who either live in So Cal or in other places besides STL, but I figured I would take a second to post information about a rally that is going to occur on LaCledes Landing in St Louis on April 5th, 2014. Live music, former players and a place to go to show the city and state government AND ESK that we in St Louis WANT the Rams to stay and that the powers that be need to get on the stick and make it happen.

As far as I'm concerned we are one.

Rams fans first!

We would really see how true this sentiment is if indeed the Rams do return to LA for a lot of you in St Louis!

However just for some balance....

https://www.facebook.com/losangelesrams

:yahoo:

bluepigpen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't care where the Rams play as long as they win. My time gets shorter every day and a Super Bowl title by the Rams in the next couple of years is what the doctor ordered. I want my teams, Rams Dodgers and Lakers to succeed quickly, it might not happen but faith is on my side.

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vita my brother, you have it exactly correct. However, there are a TON of your fellow LA folks on the facebook pages for Bring Back the LA Rams who are downright spiteful and act as if the PEOPLE of St Louis stole the team. Remember, I was born and raised in Ventura County so I have a perspective from both sides of the fence.
At the end of the day, I want them to stay here, because I live here. But if they were to move back to LA, or move to London, or move to Butte Montana I would STILL be a Rams fan. I think that is what makes this page unique is that we are not into the turf war. We talk FOOTBALL.

I just wanted to advertise for our event to any of you who want to come... and I mean ANY of you.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish I had the bucks. I'd fly in just to meet everyone. You know my thoughts. I believe the Rams will eventually end-up back in LA and that is based in reality more than any motivation to stick somebody in the eye.

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been asked my thoughts on this topic from many of my STL acquaintances so I decided to write it out and post it to face book where they could all see it at once. I figured I'd share here to so here goes:

As people discuss the potential of the Rams leaving St Louis lets look at what it would actually take for them to do so. After the 2014 season the team can opt of the lease in St Louis. Yet to relocate they would need 24 votes in an NFL owners meeting. That means only 9 would have to vote against or abstain. As of right now the Los Angeles metro area includes approx 8% of the US population. This population is not in a local NFL tv market which allows Fox and CBS to show the biggest games there each week from both the NFC and AFC. Many owners have speculated that this increases marketability of "big name teams" in the area which many "big name teams" (Steelers, Packers, Giants Cowboys, Patrios) probably won't want to give up because of merchandise sales. Additionally, San Diego Chargers Alex Spanos, a very respected NFL owner of nearly 3 decades, has stated he will fight against any team moving to LA because it would cut into his fan base. The San Francisco and Oakland brass may see things similarly, especially considering the already large Raiders following in LA. These owners may attempt to use their influence to persuade other NFL owners to either vote against or abstain a movement to relocate a team to LA. In all reality, no matter what the lease says, it would be monumentally difficult for any NFL owner, especially a very new owner, to pull off a campaign to get 23 other NFL owners to vote in his favor.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats my birthday bro. Lol

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vita my brother, you have it exactly correct. However, there are a TON of your fellow LA folks on the facebook pages for Bring Back the LA Rams who are downright spiteful and act as if the PEOPLE of St Louis stole the team. Remember, I was born and raised in Ventura County so I have a perspective from both sides of the fence.
At the end of the day, I want them to stay here, because I live here. But if they were to move back to LA, or move to London, or move to Butte Montana I would STILL be a Rams fan. I think that is what makes this page unique is that we are not into the turf war. We talk FOOTBALL.

I just wanted to advertise for our event to any of you who want to come... and I mean ANY of you.
There are some LA Rams fans who are like the spurned lover who wants to kick the ass of the dude who married their HS sweetheart 20 later!

:lol:

Sorry about that, I don't condone their thoughts, statements or actions.

I found this over there and copied it here because it seemed appropriate to post after your take on that same facebook page.

"Be patient with the negative people of the world. Take a moment to think how they are helping you clarify your own thinking and firming your own resolve. Then headslap them out of your way."

- Deacon Jones
:laugh3:

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been asked my thoughts on this topic from many of my STL acquaintances so I decided to write it out and post it to face book where they could all see it at once. I figured I'd share here to so here goes:

As people discuss the potential of the Rams leaving St Louis lets look at what it would actually take for them to do so. After the 2014 season the team can opt of the lease in St Louis. Yet to relocate they would need 24 votes in an NFL owners meeting. That means only 9 would have to vote against or abstain. As of right now the Los Angeles metro area includes approx 8% of the US population. This population is not in a local NFL tv market which allows Fox and CBS to show the biggest games there each week from both the NFC and AFC. Many owners have speculated that this increases marketability of "big name teams" in the area which many "big name teams" (Steelers, Packers, Giants Cowboys, Patrios) probably won't want to give up because of merchandise sales. Additionally, San Diego Chargers Alex Spanos, a very respected NFL owner of nearly 3 decades, has stated he will fight against any team moving to LA because it would cut into his fan base. The San Francisco and Oakland brass may see things similarly, especially considering the already large Raiders following in LA. These owners may attempt to use their influence to persuade other NFL owners to either vote against or abstain a movement to relocate a team to LA. In all reality, no matter what the lease says, it would be monumentally difficult for any NFL owner, especially a very new owner, to pull off a campaign to get 23 other NFL owners to vote in his favor.
I want to give this a thumbs down but it would be killing the messenger and not the message.

If this is true, it is total BS!

These guys have plenty of Jack and the NFL fans in LA deserve a team, whether it is the Rams, another existing NFL team or an expansion team. But with this type of apparent greed lurking in the minds of the NFL owners they want to take the LA market money and deprive the same fans of enjoying a team in the league like the rest of the major markets. This type of behavior makes me want to revolt! Much like taxation without representation!

Again, if this is true, it will reveal itself for it's true uglyness and many of us here will find other ways to spend our cash, time and love.

Now I've said I'm a Rams fan for life but it's love driven and the thing about love, it has to be a two way street or it changes everything!

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly don't understand why people criticize guys for greed in sports. This is a business and in my opinion team don't owe anyone anything. Teams are in the business of putting an entertaining display on the field and on tv and making money off of it. Just like Frito Lay sells food for money, the NFL sells football for money.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly don't understand why people criticize guys for greed in sports. This is a business and in my opinion team don't owe anyone anything.
My caveat to that is that I only care when cities subsidize these teams for the NFL 'charity'

I'll always follow the Rams but if they move and another teams come in to STL then thats the team Ill support financially. So in that regard, I'm probably similar to the older generation of people from STL who still kinda follow the Arizona Cardinals.

I also think that if the Rams were to move, it would be now. Their Missouri/Illinois fanbase will eventually grow to be like any other fanbase. LA will also get a new team at some point. Its obviously kept empty for a variety of reasons but I think the demand will eventually cause the NFL to expand.

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clayton, I know some on each side when it comes to Zona. My dad hates them more than anything else in sports. He always talks about the torture the Bidwell's put him through as a child and roots against them every week.

I'll support any team that plays any sport in St Louis. Heck, if we got a soccer team I'd have to care about that. If the Rams lose though then they're done. I was raised a Blues fans by my dad, a Steelers fan by my uncle, and most importantly a Cardinals fan by everything around me. I always root for the Rams, with 1 exception every 4 years when they play the Steelers. I root for them because they play for St Louis. Of the 3 teams in St Louis though I feel like they are the least connected to the city and are definitely the team I'm least connected to. I hope they don't leave because I think its good for the city to have them, but I wouldn't be devastated like I would if the Blues ever left.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly don't understand why people criticize guys for greed in sports. This is a business and in my opinion team don't owe anyone anything. Teams are in the business of putting an entertaining display on the field and on tv and making money off of it. Just like Frito Lay sells food for money, the NFL sells football for money.
So my analogy of taxation without representation, a principle of which this country is founded upon, didn't help?

Hell, when the NFL wasn't nearly as popular as horse racing or the MLB, the City of Los Angeles was paramount in forming the NFL as the first professional coast-to-coast sports entertainment industry. Also by playing in Los Angeles, as a condition of the move, the NFL was forced to end segregation! Could you imagine a white only League? :lol: The NFL owners tried to block a move back then in 46' and were wrong then as evident by the outcome.

And here they are again back in a similar position this time fueled by greed.

Now I can care less how much money they make, my disdain over their positions is more about how their motivation directly effects a City of fans who have always supported them, helped them greatly form who they have become and yet they have absolutely no regard or compassion for those who suffered! :gaah: And it stems from small minded, self centered thinking backed by pure greed and has nothing to do with what is good for the League.

The move that was blocked by the NFL owners was wrong 46' and it's still wrong here in 2014 no matter what the motivation!

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just see it as a business and we are all customers. If you're unhappy get your entertainment elsewhere. I can't blame a guy for doing what he thinks will make him more money over what makes him feel warm on the inside, isn't that what capitalism is, which our country was also founded on.

Also, you are represented by yourself, you have shown you'll watch with no team there so there's no added value to moving a team there.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just see it as a business and we are all customers. If you're unhappy get your entertainment elsewhere. I can't blame a guy for doing what he thinks will make him more money over what makes him feel warm on the inside, isn't that what capitalism is, which our country was also founded on.

Also, you are represented by yourself, you have shown you'll watch with no team there so there's no added value to moving a team there.
First Alex Spanos doesn't represent the NFL only the Chargers and I have little respect for that man anyhow. If I do feel the owners as a whole are blocking a move or an expansion team based a gluttony of greed I will take my $$ elsewhere. To me this type of greed says: I will deprive all others before I go without all that I can hoard. It's beyond greed mutigers! Los Angeles is not his market and it shouldn't be under his or any others owners control without a move to this market.

Second, business doesn't always employ best practices and owners don't always see the global picture and the impact of their decisions make on the industry they preside.

To your point, of what I do and represent may again fail at seeing a global picture for the Los Angeles market.

How about my son and daughter who are both about your age. Neither ever were exposed to live professional football in their childhood and neither have a strong following in the NFL. However they both have strong ties to other professional sports. They wear the gear and all to support them but not any from NFL teams. How do you think they would have been impacted if they went to their share of NFL games here in Los Angeles?

I tell you what, I can get lost in college football, love both pro college hoops and follow the MLB and NHL teams quite closely. If I feel these owners want to shut me out of enjoying a team in one of the greatest markets in the country I will walk away from the league and I don't think I will be the lone wolf in my walk.

As a whole it's a mistake for the NFL in the long term and I think the Commissioner knows this and will levy those around him to get it done.

LTR1961

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What time is this rally?

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is from noon until 5pm at LaCledes Landing..... you gotta be there brother!!

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys, I did not post this to start the St Louis vs LA debate. I simply wanted the guys on the board who are in STL to know about the rally. Let's not move into a turf war... we all love the Rams and want them to win WHEREVER they play:suds:

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys, I did not post this to start the St Louis vs LA debate. I simply wanted the guys on the board who are in STL to know about the rally. Let's not move into a turf war... we all love the Rams and want them to win WHEREVER they play:suds:
:behindsofa:

Too bad the internet wasn't around in 95'!!

My disclaimer is this convo moved to the Owners blocking a team from ever moving to the LA market whether it's a current team or expansion and not a St Louis vs LA debate!

Sorry about hijacking the thread ksudodgers!

Last edited by a moderator: