• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Keanu Reeves

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your argument is predicated on Reeves being in better movies.

Nicolas Cage is a far more capable actor (at any age).
Not anymore. Cage is similar to Pacino. He has become a caricature of himself. He is a horrible actor now. And casting him in anything is poison for the movie’s potential success.

Oswaldandme

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not anymore. Cage is similar to Pacino. He has become a caricature of himself. He is a horrible actor now. And casting him in anything is poison for the movie’s potential success.
You shut the fuck up whore!!!!!!

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best Reeves movie = Matrix
Best Cage movie = Leaving Las Vegas (not counting Fast Times)

Advantage Reeves.

Top 5 Reeves movies = Matrix, Bill & Ted, Speed, Wick, Point Break
Top 5 Cage movies = Vegas, Rock, Face/Off, (anything else worth a shit?)

Advantage Reeves.

Actual acting chops when they were younger is the only thing Cage has going for him. Reeves has him beat in every other argument.

Uuuh...Raising Arizona foo!

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never was a fan.

tenor.gif

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I completely disagree with about everything you said. Except the jacked and done better part. No movie that ever used ground breaking effects and helped the technology evolve (like the matrix did) can claim that it was never improved upon after.

Not a chance. Go watch the triology then watch Star Wars: A Phantom Menace, Star Wars had far better graphics. The Matrix really showed what you could do with great editting and 20 cameras working at once. The scenes with CGI were passable by those standards, but were by no means the best at the time. Even the practical effects look stiff, i.e. you can clearly tell the scenes where a wire/harness was used. Part of me wants to believe that THAT is kind of a point in that particular practical effect for this particular movie but it still looks bad in my opinion.

The soundtrack, while again, acceptable for the time... in my opinion feels misplaced watching nowadays. And that is not something I would say about every film. The score is a dreadful techno through most of it, which at the time (as a kid) I never minded nor even probably really noticed, but I am sorry.... IT SUCKS. Techno sucks. There, I said it.

When I first saw the movie, I thought the story was interesting. As I have grown older and admittedly more pragmatic, I find it purposefully nonsensical and vague. In my opinion it's laziness. I feel that it wants the audience to fill in the blanks with their own interpretation rather than lay out a philosophy that allows the audience to expound upon. I could foresee an argument where the Matrix does both of those things, but in my opinion, doing the former (even with the latter) hurts the movie.

But again, that is just how I feel about it. I won't doubt the rave it created upon its release. I specifically remember being blown away as well. But after watching it again a couple years ago... it really isn't that great and it gets worse as it goes on. Again, the first movie is head and shoulders better than the other two and I would actually consider a good movie, I'd give it a 6/10. I wouldn't say the same for the other two.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I rewatched Speed last night for the first time in a long time and I will say this...

LOL, it is good. In no way a great movie, but easily good. It entertains. The acting and writing/dialogue between Reeves and Bullock is HORRIBLY bad at points and very one dimensional, but overall it is a solid action movie. I would venture to say that the supporting characters around them i.e. Harry (Daniels), Capt. McMahon (Morton), the people on the bus, and Hopper really lift it up.

6.5-7 out of 10

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I rewatched Speed last night for the first time in a long time and I will say this...

LOL, it is good. In no way a great movie, but easily good. It entertains. The acting and writing/dialogue between Reeves and Bullock is HORRIBLY bad at points and very one dimensional, but overall it is a solid action movie. I would venture to say that the supporting characters around them i.e. Harry (Daniels), Capt. McMahon (Morton), the people on the bus, and Hopper really lift it up.

6.5-7 out of 10

This. Hopper is what makes Speed great. Compare Speed with The Rock or Face Off, which is elevated by Cage's performance.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this guy is painful to watch. He is a stiff and can’t act his way out of a paper bag.

But then look at the movies he has done...

Bill and Ted
Matrix
Speed
Point Break
John Wick

Dude has 5 legit super-classics. Is he really as bad as everyone knows he is?
I saw The Matrix for the first time at Miller Night st the Movies. Tripping balls.

Thought it was GREAT!

Saw part of Speed, hate Sandra.

That's all I've got invested in Keanu.

But I did like Keanu, the movie.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This. Hopper is what makes Speed great. Compare Speed with The Rock or Face Off, which is elevated by Cage's performance.
I agree re: Rock and Face/Off. In Face/Off, in particular, Cage embarrassed Travolta, acting wise. I can’t think of another movie where the same actors are portraying the same characters the way Cage and Travolta doin that movie, and in both roles, Cage was clearly the better actor.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing against Reeves, but I don't think the fact he's starred in some very good movies says much about his acting ability. There are a lot of actors who have been several good movies who get by because people just like them and he's one of them. None of his "great" movies cited here called for him to do much acting or were really acting-driven.. except maybe Bill & Ted where he was just playing a dumbed down stoner version of himself.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cage has a higher ceiling than Reeves

Easily. Cage has been in it purely for the cash for several years, but the guy can act. Reeves has an emotional range that stretches from about A-to-B.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
?

From 2018 alone:

Mandy (2018)

Mom and Dad (2018)

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018)

Granted, I gave Mandy 0.5/5 stars, I haven't seen Mom and Dad, and I haven't seen SM:ITSV and I presume his role in that movie wasn't very large; but those are three movies from the calendar year 2018 alone that got great to rave reviews that featured Cage. A far cry from "And casting him in anything is poison for the movie’s potential success."

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That’s why I asked how it doesn’t hold up, because if he means the CGI and effects, that shit pushed the envelope and was groundbreaking at the time, even if it lacks by today’s standards. It’s like saying Terminator 2 or Jurassic Park doesn’t hold up.

Matrix really didn’t push anything. All it did was take what Blade did with effects but was a better budget and better promoted. Matrix was cool visually but wasn’t ground breaking in any way.