• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kareem: Dirk is a 1 trick pony

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"ABDUL-JABBAR: You asked about Dirk Nowitzki. Dirk Nowitzki's shot is very hard to block, but I don't think that he was able to have a dominant career because he couldn't do other things. If he could have shot like that and rebounded and played defense and blocked shots, then he would have been all-around, and he would have gotten more credit. He was like a one-trick pony.You want guys that can shoot like that on your team. I'm not saying that he lacked value, but he would have been considered at a higher level if he had done more on the court other than just shoot the ball."

Alright, so lets unpack this. The big elephant in the room here is that Kareem played in a different era than Dirk. The 3pt shot is a very big deal. Dirk being a volume 3 pt shooter of his size at almost 40% for his career is massive. The stretch 4 allows other players to do well. Being able to do a transition 3 pt shot...thats really hard to defend. Dirk was also getting 9-10 rebounds per game in his prime. Not elite but not scrubby. Dirk led the league in Win Shares twice, PER once and Win Shares per 48 minutes 3 times. You dont do that if you're a one trick pony. Dirk made the playoffs 14 times. Never got traded to another team to join up with superstars. Had his championship team immediately disassembled. Made it to the Finals once with some scrubs and still won 2 games against DWade and Shaq.

Dirk is a top 30 player of all time. Kareem is top 3 so him talking trash on anyone is probably really easy to do.

Kareem is wrong about one thing: Dirk had a dominant career.

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"ABDUL-JABBAR: You asked about Dirk Nowitzki. Dirk Nowitzki's shot is very hard to block, but I don't think that he was able to have a dominant career because he couldn't do other things. If he could have shot like that and rebounded and played defense and blocked shots, then he would have been all-around, and he would have gotten more credit. He was like a one-trick pony.You want guys that can shoot like that on your team. I'm not saying that he lacked value, but he would have been considered at a higher level if he had done more on the court other than just shoot the ball."

Alright, so lets unpack this. The big elephant in the room here is that Kareem played in a different era than Dirk. The 3pt shot is a very big deal. Dirk being a volume 3 pt shooter of his size at almost 40% for his career is massive. The stretch 4 allows other players to do well. Being able to do a transition 3 pt shot...thats really hard to defend. Dirk was also getting 9-10 rebounds per game in his prime. Not elite but not scrubby. Dirk led the league in Win Shares twice, PER once and Win Shares per 48 minutes 3 times. You dont do that if you're a one trick pony. Dirk made the playoffs 14 times. Never got traded to another team to join up with superstars. Had his championship team immediately disassembled. Made it to the Finals once with some scrubs and still won 2 games against DWade and Shaq.

Dirk is a top 30 player of all time. Kareem is top 3 so him talking trash on anyone is probably really easy to do.

Kareem is wrong about one thing: Dirk had a dominant career.
I see no mention of defense. I guess that wasn't important when Dirk was in his prime.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That sounds about right. In terms of Win Shares, he seasons are right next to Tim Duncan and KG so he might even be underrated at 17 but at some point in time the more versatile players should probably get the nod.

The only reason Dirk makes the top 20 is because of that lone championship he got which is probably what tipped him to go over Barkley and Stockton.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see no mention of defense. I guess that wasn't important when Dirk was in his prime.
They play defense in the NBA? :D

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only reason Dirk makes the top 20 is because of that lone championship he got which is probably what tipped him to go over Barkley and Stockton.
Going through Durant and Lebron when your 2nd best player is an old man J Kidd? That seems as good a reason as any.

15-20 sounds fair.

I feel like newer players could talk trash on older players inability to shoot from distance but I think most people would agree thats probably in poor taste. I do think this is in poor taste from Kareem, too, but the older generation is probably still super competitive and that just comes with the game of basketball.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going through Durant and Lebron when your 2nd best player is an old man J Kidd? That seems as good a reason as any.

15-20 sounds fair.

I feel like newer players could talk trash on older players inability to shoot from distance but I think most people would agree thats probably in poor taste. I do think this is in poor taste from Kareem, too, but the older generation is probably still super competitive and that just comes with the game of basketball.

I absolutely agree it's in poor taste of Kareem to state this but he has a point in a way. Take away Dirks fantastic shooting and nobody would have heard of him!

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disrespecting a legend. One trick pony? GTFO.

Dirk is one of the greatest PF's of all-time. You don't get there by being a one trick pony.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For as much as his game took him away from the rim, he still averaged about 9.5 rebounds a game in his prime and 8 over his career. 1 block over his career and 1.5 over his prime, that isn't elite or anything but he is a great and one of the greatest.
Go back to your rocking chair Kareem, your time is done, no question you are a top 5 player but just STFU.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disrespecting a legend. One trick pony? GTFO.

Dirk is one of the greatest PF's of all-time. You don't get there by being a one trick pony.
But a legend though?

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya know that's pretty ballsy of KAJ to call Dirk a 1 trick pony. The Captain was the original 1 trick pony w/ that fuckin' skyhook! :D

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Easily. Dirk is a one of a kind player, you'll never see someone like him again.
ehhh.....wasn't Bird something of the same kind of player-before Dirk was?

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ehhh.....wasn't Bird something of the same kind of player-before Dirk was?

No way. Dirk doesn't have Bird's basketball IQ. He also isn't the passer or rebounder Larry the Legend was.