• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kap's Season

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
First off I'm sorry to start another thread on Kap, but I didn't want this to get lost in all the other threads. Looking back on the season, it was filled with ups and downs, several injuries that never really saw the full compliment or potential of the offense. Inconsistent offensive philosophy which never figured out how to achieve true balance. Its also easy to forget this was Kap's first official season as a starter. First off addressing the biggest BS stat that the 49ers ranked 31st in the league in passing, that is what happens when you are a run first team! For those that use this stat as a 'go to' maybe it will make you feel better to know Kap had more passing yards in his first official season than Alex Smith ever did as a 49er (I know that isn't saying much, but it is a fact that he did that as the second from last team in pass attempts in the league). Considering the low amount of team attempts, here are the regular season percent breakdowns-

QB Rating- Kap ranked 10th
Yards per att.- Kap ranked 8th
TD %- Kap ranked 13th
INT %- Kap ranked 9th

All these stats are in the top half of the league and damn near in the top 33%

The stat that wasn't good was completion % where Kap was at 58%. I think he will most certainly improve on this with more experience and a better pocket presence. The more comfortable he gets, the better he will be at finding his check-downs instead of sailing passes over covered receivers.

Kap's season produced 524 rushing yards and 4 TD's accounting for 25 TD's in all this season...

The bottom line is these are not bad numbers for his first official season. Kap has earned another season before everyone freaks out...

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People are just freaking out. Like I said in another thread, I have a feeling that Harbaugh feels that Kaep is right where he should in his development. The way people talk about him here would make you think he's a 70's passer rating QB like Mark Sanchez. Kaep's passer rating was in the 90's again this year.

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
People are just freaking out. Like I said in another thread, I have a feeling that Harbaugh feels that Kaep is right where he should in his development. The way people talk about him here would make you think he's a 70's passer rating QB like Mark Sanchez. Kaep's passer rating was in the 90's again this year.

It's easy for certain fans to get fixated on certain things, before they know it they can't see the forrest from the tree's. Everyone knows he has plenty of room to grow and improve. But his numbers aren't bad, as a matter of fact they are a great base or foundation in which to improve from...

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just shocked there is even whispers of wanting him replaced.

Spoiled, Spoiled, Spoiled.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I'm just shocked there is even whispers of wanting him replaced.

Spoiled, Spoiled, Spoiled.

Let me ask you this: if this were the 2000's and you had either Drew Bledsoe, Daunte Culpepper or Kerry Collins would you want them traded? There were plenty of worse QBs than they. 2 of 'em even played in a Super Bowl.

The correct answer is yes. That's what Kaepernick is. Just good enough to not win a SB. He even said he's take Crabtree in single coverage "any time." He didn't learn from last freeking year!

Unless the Niners put together one of the greatest defenses of all time he's not going to win a ring, and getting to the Super Bowl and losing still means you're a loser. There should only be one happy set of fans per season. Anything else is a consolation prize.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First off I'm sorry to start another thread on Kap, but I didn't want this to get lost in all the other threads. Looking back on the season, it was filled with ups and downs, several injuries that never really saw the full compliment or potential of the offense. Inconsistent offensive philosophy which never figured out how to achieve true balance. Its also easy to forget this was Kap's first official season as a starter. First off addressing the biggest BS stat that the 49ers ranked 31st in the league in passing, that is what happens when you are a run first team! For those that use this stat as a 'go to' maybe it will make you feel better to know Kap had more passing yards in his first official season than Alex Smith ever did as a 49er (I know that isn't saying much, but it is a fact that he did that as the second from last team in pass attempts in the league). Considering the low amount of team attempts, here are the regular season percent breakdowns-

QB Rating- Kap ranked 10th
Yards per att.- Kap ranked 8th
TD %- Kap ranked 13th
INT %- Kap ranked 9th

Never look at stats. Just kidding. But if we were, both our QBs last year were better statistically.

QB Rating- Kap ranked 8th, Smith ranked 3rd
Yards per att.- Kap ranked 1st, Smith was 5th
TD %- Kap ranked 15th, Smith was 5th
INT %- Kap ranked 3rd, Smith was 11th
Comp. %- Kap was 14th, Smith was 1st

No, I am not comparing the two quarterbacks. I'm trying to compare the Niners last year the Niners this year. And my conclusion is that stats don't show the whole picture. I think that we improved this year in many categories despite the stats. Plus, there were things that Kaepernick does that doesn't show up in the stats.

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Let me ask you this: if this were the 2000's and you had either Drew Bledsoe, Daunte Culpepper or Kerry Collins would you want them traded? There were plenty of worse QBs than they. 2 of 'em even played in a Super Bowl.

The correct answer is yes. That's what Kaepernick is. Just good enough to not win a SB. He even said he's take Crabtree in single coverage "any time." He didn't learn from last freeking year!

Unless the Niners put together one of the greatest defenses of all time he's not going to win a ring, and getting to the Super Bowl and losing still means you're a loser. There should only be one happy set of fans per season. Anything else is a consolation prize.

I don't think any of those guys would have been considered trade options at the same stage as Kap is now (First complete season as a starter). It's easy for you to say this in hindsight... :rollseyes:

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Never look at stats. Just kidding. But if we were, both our QBs last year were better statistically.

No, I am not comparing the two quarterbacks. I'm trying to compare the Niners last year the Niners this year. And my conclusion is that stats don't show the whole picture. I think that we improved this year in many categories despite the stats. Plus, there were things that Kaepernick does that doesn't show up in the stats.

I agree, but with all the stuff written the last couple days (especially the ranked 31st in passing stat) that people have thrown around, I thought this was a better indication of a true statistical in which to refer to...

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, while Alex has averaged more YPG than we did this year, Kaepernick had a higher per game average last year than Smith ever had (226 vs. 220). I took the concussion 3 Quarter game as a game for Kaep, so take that for what it's worth.

Lemon Harang Pie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He even said he's take Crabtree in single coverage "any time."

What's he supposed to say? "Fuck my teammates. I wish I played elsewhere"?

He's probably never going to be a top three QB in the league but any QB capable of taking a team to a Super Bowl then NFC Championship game in his first two seasons as a starter is plenty capable of winning a Super Bowl.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I don't think any of those guys would have been considered trade options at the same stage as Kap is now (First complete season as a starter). It's easy for you to say this in hindsight... :rollseyes:

It's not hindsight. There were plenty of QBs I sad were the kiss of death back then. The aforementioned, McNabb, Trent Green, Jeff Garcia... and over time Alex Smith, Michael Vick, Tony Romo, Matt Ryan, RGIII, Sam Bradford, etc. These are QBs who, at their best, are just good enough to not win a SB. I'm convinced DumbDumb is now in that category because he's incapable of learning.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, but with all the stuff written the last couple days (especially the ranked 31st in passing stat) that people have thrown around, I thought this was a better indication of a true statistical in which to refer to...

That always bugged me with Smith, too. There were plenty of things to criticize Smith for, like third-down conversions, red zone conversions, etc. I thought that going on YPG was silly when he was high on the list of YPA. I understand the concept of why YAC, but they were talking about our team and we were getting good running and good YPA; I didn't understand what the problem was with YPG.

Lemon Harang Pie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't care about the 49'ers or either QB but a lot of Alex Smith's numbers are the result of the system he played in. He wasn't there to score points as much as he was to not turn the ball over. I mean you certainly wouldn't want him under center in an offensively minded team.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
What's he supposed to say? "Fuck my teammates. I wish I played elsewhere"?

I don't care what he says. He's supposed to NOT FREEKING THROW TO HIM IF HE'S COVERED! ESPECIALLY BY AN ALL-PRO' CB! And he's too stupid to admit his rationale is a recipe for disaster.

Anyone who would throw to a guy "any time" in coverage is a moron. I don't care if it's Calvin Johnson. If he's covered go through your freeking progressions.

...Oh wait; he's too stupid to do that. Ok. Force the bad throw; that's all you're capable of doing.

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It's not hindsight. There were plenty of QBs I sad were the kiss of death back then. The aforementioned, McNabb, Trent Green, Jeff Garcia... and over time Alex Smith, Michael Vick, Tony Romo, Matt Ryan, RGIII, Sam Bradford, etc. These are QBs who, at their best, are just good enough to not win a SB. I'm convinced DumbDumb is now in that category because he's incapable of learning.

Why don't you list the players you also thought were going to be good, like Cody Pickett? Now you are advocating for Sanchez, one the worst QB's in recent memory...

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Why don't you list the players you also thought were going to be good, like Cody Pickett? Now you are advocating for Sanchez, one the worst QB's in recent memory...

Speaking of dumbdumb, hows your boy Tyler Bray doing these days?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00

I never once predicted Cody Pickett would be good. I said he'd be worth a shot in the 6th or 7th round of the draft. There's a huge difference. Your odds of finding even an average backup QB in the 6th or 7th round are slim to none.

And Sanchez throws the ball just as well DumbDumb does; he just isn't the same running threat. And that running threat will only become less over time. Sanchez never had Harbaugh, 2 1000 yard receivers & maybe the best TE in football. Put DumbDumb on the Jets & he'd barely look better than Geno.

If you don't have your franchise guy you go with a stopgap.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't care about the 49'ers or either QB but a lot of Alex Smith's numbers are the result of the system he played in. He wasn't there to score points as much as he was to not turn the ball over. I mean you certainly wouldn't want him under center in an offensively minded team.

He was in an offensive minded team in Kansas City. He passed the ball a lot more and got better as the year went on. Reid is working on him to get more production. His turnovers were the third lowest in the league despite passing 34 times per game. Depending on what type of attempts filter you have, he might've even been first. Before you talk to his defense, his numbers started to improve after the defense imploded. And this wasn't catch up garbage time mode, it was keep up mode or get ahead aggressiveness. It wasn't all world, but it wasn't exactly avoiding turnovers play.

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I never once predicted Cody Pickett would be good. I said he'd be worth a shot in the 6th or 7th round of the draft. There's a huge difference. Your odds of finding even an average backup QB in the 6th or 7th round are slim to none.

And Sanchez throws the ball just as well DumbDumb does; he just isn't the same running threat. And that running threat will only become less over time. Sanchez never had Harbaugh, 2 1000 yard receivers & maybe the best TE in football. Put DumbDumb on the Jets & he'd barely look better than Geno.

If you don't have your franchise guy you go with a stopgap.

1 WR coming off major injury the other an aging vet. Coincidently Boldin has actually revised his career working with Kap having his best season since being a Cardinal. Sanchez had a decent supporting cast, but he only got worse the more he played. At times it was comical how bad he was. He barely held off Tebow for the starting spot! And thats the guy you want? lol

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
1 WR coming off major injury the other an aging vet. Coincidently Boldin has actually revised his career working with Kap having his best season since being a Cardinal. Sanchez had a decent supporting cast, but he only got worse the more he played. At times it was comical how bad he was. He barely held off Tebow for the starting spot! And thats the guy you want? lol

You're still not understanding. Here are the options:

Keep DumbDumb for like 120+ million dollars.
Sanchez for a few million / 1 or 2 year deal.
Josh McCown for a few million
A rookie starter

...that's about it. There more like Colt McCoy, but reaslitically those are the Niners' options. The latter two are stopgap options. Carson Palmer would also be a stopgap option if he were cut. I like going with the stopgap guy like Sanchez over wasting any more time with DumbDumb. The offense would probably score about the same amount of points with either one of 'em.

DumbDumb would probably throw fewer picks, but Sanchez would have a higher completion percentage because he's capable of going through his progressions.