• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kansas City releases Jenkins

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. That whole draft was horrible. Reminds me of Rashaun Woods. Niners have difficulty developing receivers.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And we cut Donnie Avery too... Bowe might be cut too. It's going to be a bumpy ride for our offseason when it comes to cuts.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like to see some recognition by our management that they know nothing about speed guys, how to identify them, how to develop them, and how to use them. Bring in someone who does.
I doubt we will ever see that recognition, lol

AU_Fever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where's the accountability? Niners haven't had a deep threat since Owens.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's with Jed, duh. I mean, he doesn't lose money, get fined, suspended, or blame, but hold him accountable, ok? ;)

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

They did just fire like 85% of the offensive coaching staff....

Davis is a deep threat, just no deep threats at WR. Largely on Baalke, but we've had major issues with developing a WR over the past several years.

AU_Fever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They did just fire like 85% of the offensive coaching staff....

Davis is a deep threat, just no deep threats at WR. Largely on Baalke, but we've had major issues with developing a WR over the past several years.

I meant before this year. I agree it's mostly on Baalke. I don't know whether it's developing receivers or evaluating talent, but the cupboard has been empty for quite a while. Baalke on the other hand has done a wonderful job with db's.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I meant before this year. I agree it's mostly on Baalke. I don't know whether it's developing receivers or evaluating talent, but the cupboard has been empty for quite a while. Baalke on the other hand has done a wonderful job with db's.

Baalke hasn't shown a great eye for WRs, but it's inexcusable that Morton never got anything out of a WR added under Baalke's regime, IMO. Plenty of guys, like Jenkins, went elsewhere and busted. But a number of guys have gone elsewhere and produced. And 2013 was just too bad to defend Morton. Sure, he was working with a lot of UDFAs and unknowns, but we got virtually no production out of our second receiver until Crabtree came back. That's indefensible in a league in which almost every team has managed to get production out of a low-level WR.

Re: Baalke's track record, Kyle Williams is remembered for costing us the 2011 NFCCG, but I thought he was a decent third receiver and pretty good value for a 6th round comp pick. Ronald Johnson is entirely on Morton, IMO. There's no doubt that he advocated for Johnson, who was just awful. Jenkins was a huge bust, bad miss by Baalke. I like Patton and Ellington, though. The reality is that, other than Jenkins, we haven't prioritized WRs. Baalke certainly deserves blame for that, but I think people place a bit too much emphasis on the Jenkins miss.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baalke hasn't shown a great eye for WRs, but it's inexcusable that Morton never got anything out of a WR added under Baalke's regime, IMO. Plenty of guys, like Jenkins, went elsewhere and busted. But a number of guys have gone elsewhere and produced. And 2013 was just too bad to defend Morton. Sure, he was working with a lot of UDFAs and unknowns, but we got virtually no production out of our second receiver until Crabtree came back. That's indefensible in a league in which almost every team has managed to get production out of a low-level WR.

Re: Baalke's track record, Kyle Williams is remembered for costing us the 2011 NFCCG, but I thought he was a decent third receiver and pretty good value for a 6th round comp pick. Ronald Johnson is entirely on Morton, IMO. There's no doubt that he advocated for Johnson, who was just awful. Jenkins was a huge bust, bad miss by Baalke. I like Patton and Ellington, though. The reality is that, other than Jenkins, we haven't prioritized WRs. Baalke certainly deserves blame for that, but I think people place a bit too much emphasis on the Jenkins miss.

I wonder how much input Morton had in drafting these WRs. I bet he did have some input and his eye for talent is probably as bad as his ability to develop it

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I wonder how much input Morton had in drafting these WRs. I bet he did have some input and his eye for talent is probably as bad as his ability to develop it

I think he was the driving force behind Johnson. At the very least, he should have had veto over that one as it was a guy he coached. As for the rest, I'm not really sure.

Patton and Ellington were both getting talk as early second-round guys prior to the draft. I have liked what I've seen from them, in limited action. The benefit of moving out some of the vets is that these guys should get more of a chance to show something. We'll see. It's pretty clear we still need deep speed at the position. It would be nice to get some height, too, but for now speed is the clear priority.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he was the driving force behind Johnson. At thein Paavery least, he should have had veto over that one as it was a guy he coached. As for the rest, I'm not really sure.

Patton and Ellington were both getting talk as early second-round guys prior to the draft. I have liked what I've seen from them, in limited action. The benefit of moving out some of the vets is that these guys should get more of a chance to show something. We'll see. It's pretty clear we still need deep speed at the position. It would be nice to get some height, too, but for now speed is the clear priority.
I am still hopeful for Patton and Ellington. I read a rumor last year that the coaches were disappointed with Patton's progress. The team also were committed to the vets last year.

GoreRush

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every time I see articles linking the 49ers to WR draft prospects, I just can't help but think of AJ Jenkins selected over Alshon Jeffrey. :L

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every time I see articles linking the 49ers to WR draft prospects, I just can't help but think of AJ Jenkins selected over Alshon Jeffrey. :L

The 49ers have been awful drafting and developing WR talent. I sometimes wonder if Morton was involved in the decision to draft Jenkins. He is one coach from the Harbaugh era I won't miss

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The poor coaching at WR makes it really hard to diagnose where the problem lies. Is Baalke just that bad at spotting talent at WR? Or is Morton really that bad at developing talent? It's probably some combination of the two.

However, as I've posted about at length, it's a real indictment on Morton that we didn't come close to developing an effective third or fourth receiver under his watch. The only "developmental" player you can even kind of point to from his tenure was Kyle Williams, and he got worse every year: 241 yards and 3 TDs in one start in 2011, 212 yards and 1 TD in three starts in 2012, and 113 yards and no TDs in five starts in 2013 (cut after nine games). 2013 was just a debacle at the WR position, and one of the biggest strikes against Harbaugh was his unwillingness to move on from a clearly inferior coach at the position. Virtually every NFL team has developed some late-round pick or UDFA at the WR position. Our cupboard is basically bare.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The poor coaching at WR makes it really hard to diagnose where the problem lies. Is Baalke just that bad at spotting talent at WR? Or is Morton really that bad at developing talent? It's probably some combination of the two.

However, as I've posted about at length, it's a real indictment on Morton that we didn't come close to developing an effective third or fourth receiver under his watch. The only "developmental" player you can even kind of point to from his tenure was Kyle Williams, and he got worse every year: 241 yards and 3 TDs in one start in 2011, 212 yards and 1 TD in three starts in 2012, and 113 yards and no TDs in five starts in 2013 (cut after nine games). 2013 was just a debacle at the WR position, and one of the biggest strikes against Harbaugh was his unwillingness to move on from a clearly inferior coach at the position. Virtually every NFL team has developed some late-round pick or UDFA at the WR position. Our cupboard is basically bare.

That what you mention among other things Harbaugh was too stubborn to address. The time management issues Harbaugh did not address since coming to SF, especially given what we learned about his play calling heirarchy.

Mock2Speed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Going into that draft I thought we were gonna grab Coby Fleener. Funny thing was a lot of mock drafts had Alshon Jeffrey going around that slot too (to us in some).

Offense has not been Baalke's strength.