• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kaepernicks Football IQ

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been trying to make excuses for him for the past couple of seasons, but damn. I know we won, I wont try to be a downer, I just want to state the obvious.
He's not to intelligent on the field. How often is he going to lose track of the play clock at a crucial point of the game? This is getting ridiculous now.
Then why would he waste a time out from the 50 yard line, after trying to draw the other team offsides? It seems like he didn't even watch football on tv while growing up.

Its just frustrating as a die hard fan to see such sloppy qb play.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I been making excuse too, I do think he football IQ isn't great and makes a lot of mistakes but he makes some throws that almost no other QB can make. Example: The pass to Gore and the pass to Johnson for TDs. Amazing. Also remember the jump throw in the playoffs last year. His clock management is poor. I think his decision making on throws are getting better. That Int today was a mistake. he thought it was man to man and the CB played zone. It happens every week in the NFL.

I put most of the blame on game plan. Roman and Harbaugh have been bad. 2nd half they finally went back to what they do well and Kap had a good 2nd half. Running the ball opens up the passing game.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been trying to make excuses for him for the past couple of seasons, but damn. I know we won, I wont try to be a downer, I just want to state the obvious.
He's not to intelligent on the field. How often is he going to lose track of the play clock at a crucial point of the game? This is getting ridiculous now.
Then why would he waste a time out from the 50 yard line, after trying to draw the other team offsides? It seems like he didn't even watch football on tv while growing up.

also not to make a excuse but the pass protection has been really bad this year. Boone, Ipuati, and Kilgore are not having a good year. Plus we haven't played with are starting RT this year(1Q). stay with the running game with the nice combo of Gore and Hyde. Defense finally looked like the old D.

NinerFan52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
also not to make a excuse but the pass protection has been really bad this year. Boone, Ipuati, and Kilgore are not having a good year. Plus we haven't played with are starting RT this year(1Q). stay with the running game with the nice combo of Gore and Hyde. Defense finally looked like the old D.

The reason we were backed up on that first punt that was blocked was a terrible missed block by Boone. He has def shown rust from missing preseason.

Gold Rush 86

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,413.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I been making excuse too, I do think he football IQ isn't great and makes a lot of mistakes but he makes some throws that almost no other QB can make. Example: The pass to Gore and the pass to Johnson for TDs. Amazing. Also remember the jump throw in the playoffs last year. His clock management is poor. I think his decision making on throws are getting better. That Int today was a mistake. he thought it was man to man and the CB played zone. It happens every week in the NFL.

I put most of the blame on game plan. Roman and Harbaugh have been bad. 2nd half they finally went back to what they do well and Kap had a good 2nd half. Running the ball opens up the passing game.

I agree that INT was just a good play by the CB cuz every QB would of read that as the D playing man to man and not a zone. But he missed a few passes today that should of been easy ones. Lucky SJ scored a TD cuz the play before he missed Crabtree on a slant route that would of been an easy TD. Then on a 3rd down during the game he missed Boldin for an easy 1st down.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boone and Ipuati have been less than stellar so far. That being said I can agree that I feel that Kap is nothing more than a marionette of this failed 9ers offensive plan. The only thing that saved this game was running the ball....nothing to do with Kap's playing skills and never really will be...Time to take a look into 2015 for a QB IMO.

Youngfan9886

Board Nightmare
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I already knew Kap had no football IQ....my new worry is that he will never get it. He's been a starting qb long enough to learn that if you roll out of the pocket and no one is open, THROW IT AWAY! I don't know how many times I've seen him just walk out of bounds 5 yds behind the line of scrimmage for a sack because he has no awareness of the yardage markers. Every play goes down to 1-2 sec on the play clock and frankly he gets away with a bunch of delay of games. But all of these problems are symptoms of the main one which is he can't read a defense. He can't make pre-snap adjustments in time because he can't figure out what scheme they are running. And he is prone to the bad interception because he decides where he is throwing before the play is even run and locks his eyes on the wr.

We will be a good team again this year once we get some guys back but we aren't beating seattle. We might actually flip spots with AZ of last year (10 win team, miss the playoffs)

zman1527

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Clock management was equally bad with Alex Smith here, so the problem goes deeper than the QB.

69er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've defended this guy long enough. He looks like he's learned nothing. He can't even get the basics down. I was not only disappointed in his play but I was embarrassed.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
yes, these things are bad considering he's started long enough. BUT, the main factor is his passing ability from the pocket, and he just doesn't seem to be improving? he can make some nice throws downfield, but his overall passing game isn't there. example - in the RZ he missed Crabtree badly on that crossing route. if he was passing better, we could live with those lapses.

when the defense is blitzing so much, we're supposed to make them pay. Arizona did the same thing but we didn't make them pay either. Kaep isn't able to find the quick outlet.

when Kaep runs out of the pocket and DOES find time, he doesn't take advantage. one of the three receivers should be open by then, granted they're scrambling open too.

at this point we do the best we can with Kaep, he isn't the best but he isn't the worse. but I certainly wouldn't hesitate to draft a QB with value.

agree the O-line if playing poorly in pass protect. not poor on every single pass, but enough breakdowns to grade 'poor'.

Gold Rush 86

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,413.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boone and Ipuati have been less than stellar so far. That being said I can agree that I feel that Kap is nothing more than a marionette of this failed 9ers offensive plan. The only thing that saved this game was running the ball....nothing to do with Kap's playing skills and never really will be...Time to take a look into 2015 for a QB IMO.

Kaepernick makes mistakes but I wouldnt go so far to say we need to take a QB in 2015. To me Kaepernick is still in the top 10-15 range at QB. Yeah he makes mistakes and bad passes and a lot of QBs do. I think his running ability and the way he gets the ball into tight windows makes up for it.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Kaepernick makes mistakes but I wouldnt go so far to say we need to take a QB in 2015. To me Kaepernick is still in the top 10-15 range at QB. Yeah he makes mistakes and bad passes and a lot of QBs do. I think his running ability and the way he gets the ball into tight windows makes up for it.

yeah, not for purposely seeking another QB round 1, but should value arise I wouldn't hesitate. value could arise in any round.

with the enforced rules against the defense, every team should lean pass. If we get calls against our D, we'll get calls against theirs too. the 9er coaching staff recognized this before the off-season, and emphasized pass. but you can only call what your unit can do best, beginning with your QB.

Gold Rush 86

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,413.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah, not for purposely seeking another QB round 1, but should value arise I wouldn't hesitate. value could arise in any round.

with the enforced rules against the defense, every team should lean pass. If we get calls against our D, we'll get calls against theirs too. the 9er coaching staff recognized this before the off-season, and emphasized pass. but you can only call what your unit can do best, beginning with your QB.

At the earliest if a QB dropped I might take someone in say round 3 of 4.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clock management was equally bad with Alex Smith here, so the problem goes deeper than the QB.

I wouldn't say it was "equally" as bad, but the coaching staff is the common denominator. Whatever difference there may be with Smith and Kaepernick here will be overcome by experience gained by Kaep = now, if only we could fix the coaching part.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure he's made dumb mistakes and he's had a rough beginning to this season, but if you look at something objectve like passer rating, he is sitting at 91. 2 for the season, which is only 2.2 points off his 93.4 career rating. He's certainly not the best, but he's somewhere in the top 8 to 12 QB's, IMO.

There's also no clear way to replace him with someone better anytime in the near future. There's little chance of acquiring Aaron Rodgers, Peyton Manning, or any of the other QB's that are better than Kaep, so the only way to replace him is through the draft, and it's not like we're going to be in a position to draft Marcus Mariota, unless we tank this season or give up multiple first round draft picks. We'll just have to hope that we can draft a diamond in the rough who will either push Kaep to become elite or replace him if we feel that QB is better than Kaep.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Sure he's made dumb mistakes and he's had a rough beginning to this season, but if you look at something objectve like passer rating, he is sitting at 91. 2 for the season, which is only 2.2 points off his 93.4 career rating. He's certainly not the best, but he's somewhere in the top 8 to 12 QB's, IMO.

There's also no clear way to replace him with someone better anytime in the near future. There's little chance of acquiring Aaron Rodgers, Peyton Manning, or any of the other QB's that are better than Kaep, so the only way to replace him is through the draft, and it's not like we're going to be in a position to draft Marcus Mariota, unless we tank this season or give up multiple first round draft picks. We'll just have to hope that we can draft a diamond in the rough who will either push Kaep to become elite or replace him if we feel that QB is better than Kaep.

ok, i'll have to change the way I'm expressing it, cause it makes it appear we need an immediate change. we do NOT need an immediate change at QB, I agree.

let me put it this way, our NEXT starting QB should be a skilled passer first and foremost. lets not get too carried away with running ability, strong arm, or athleticism. he can be almost a statute like Peyton and Brees, but if he can pass well................

Gold Rush 86

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,413.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I actually think Mariota is gonna be a bust. The most NFL ready QB in college I think is Hackenburg QB for Penn State. He isnt playing too good right now but he looks the most NFL ready. He could be worth a steal in the draft in the mid to late rounds.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually think Mariota is gonna be a bust. The most NFL ready QB in college I think is Hackenburg QB for Penn State. He isnt playing too good right now but he looks the most NFL ready. He could be worth a steal in the draft in the mid to late rounds.

I'm no draft expert. I just bring up Mariota because many say that he is the best QB in next year's draft. Sure, I wouldn't mind if they take a flyer on Hackenberg or anyone. I'm not sure when Hackenberg will come out, but Blaine Gabbert has done nothing impressive so far, so I doubt many of us will be upset if someone replaces him as the second-string QB.

Gold Rush 86

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,413.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm no draft expert. I just bring up Mariota because many say that he is the best QB in next year's draft. Sure, I wouldn't mind if they take a flyer on Hackenberg or anyone. I'm not sure when Hackenberg will come out, but Blaine Gabbert has done nothing impressive so far, so I doubt many of us will be upset if someone replaces him as the second-string QB.

Early mocks show Mariota going to the Raiders even tho they have Carr. If he ends up in Oakland his career is fucked even before it starts.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't say in the draft but that could be a possibility. With Blaine and Josh as the back-ups...yes the 9ers need to look elsewhere for a viable QB. Just posting for myself here but I feel that maybe Kap will benefit by having another QB snapping at his heels. I understand that the play calling has been shit but he needs to manage the time clock better....how many times has that clock gone down to 1 or 2 seconds? Was the play not called in? I really doubt that on every occassion. He still can't read a defense, figure out how to throw it out of bounds rather then to run for a loss, and let's not forget that he can't follow beyond his first target most of the time. He will be the 9er's QB for the season for sure but his progress as a QB will need to get a whole lot better. Three games in and I'm just not seeing it.