• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Just want to clear up my thoughts on the Kobe situation

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not that I don't think that he'll be Kobe again.....it's the fact that as a business, you don't bid against yourself. Lets get past the yes Kobe will be Kobe again or no he won't be Kobe again debate. By the reports, it seems as if the Lakers, not Kobe came with the initial offer....if no other team is willing to sign Kobe for 48 million, what logical sense does it make to extend him to THAT amount? We can still say we're loyal to Kobe by offering him 17-18 million a year. That is not imo an insulting offer. Just for comparisons sake, this would be like if the Heat offered to sign D-Wade to a huge contract and then felt satisfied to chase just Lebron.

My thing is this, sure we have the room to get another max player, but we HAD the room to get 2 max players if they would of offered Kobe a contract in that range. We HAD the chance to go after a Melo and Love. I'm not high on Melo but if we can get a 2 or 3 year team opt out than I'd take it. With that said, let's address another theory that I see going around.- "Well the Lakers feel that they weren't going to get those guys anyways". Hypothetically, let's say that that's true. My disagreement comes here, that STILL takes away(even if just some) from the money we'd have to sign mid level guys to 2 year deals or so. We still have money, but again why not have more of it to manage the cap a little better?

Lastly, since loyalty rules over all...I'd like to ask this question, don't we owe Pau Gasol a 14.5 million, 2 year contract without considering what his value is worth on the market?

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly think they are tank rebuilding with Kobe selling seats and chucking towards the all time leading scorer in Laker history record.

Pay back Kobe for the umpteen million years he has been there causing shit and he won't have a bunch of good players he has to share the ball with.

Meanwhile, this style of play should keep them in lottery balls for a few years.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly think they are tank rebuilding with Kobe selling seats and chucking
towards the all time leading scorer in Laker history record.

He is already the leading scorer in Laker's history.

LAKERSUSCBAM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly think they are tank rebuilding with Kobe selling seats and chucking towards the all time leading scorer in Laker history record.

and you base your "honesty" on what? is that what Jim/Janie and the family told you that's what they would do? I'll dismiss your "honesty" as purely a negative dig at all-things Lakers/Kobe.....and get your facts straight about the all-time record before mouthing off.

LAKERSUSCBAM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pay back Kobe for the umpteen million years he has been there causing shit and he won't have a bunch of good players he has to share the ball with.

a loyal employee who helped us to 5 titles....your boys don't have that many combined to tie Kobe's....

Meanwhile, this style of play should keep them in lottery balls for a few years

thank you for playing

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at it from a business perspective. Lets take the New England Patriots for example.

They DO NOT PAY for past performance, and nobody should. They would rather get rid of a player too early than too late. They pay for what they think you are worth to them, in that exact period of time.

And they consistently win and contend for titles.

It's not smart business to give Kobe a loaded deal just because he's helped you win in the past. So what? This is a business, and in order to contend, you NEED him to take less money. I don't see any way that this was a good contract.

But it's not my money.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Appreciate your thoughts Kold, just don't necessarily agree. Here's why:

As you point out, without Kobe's new contract, the Lakers couldn't sign 2 max players. What you are forgetting is that Kobe is an All-Star level player and assuming he comes back from the injury and performs as most seem to think he will, he's worth the money.

Signing 2 max players in 1 FA class is pretty rare. Just to use an unlikely example (and dump a little sand in the vagina's of Heat fans:lol:): Suppose the Lakers get Lebron to sign with them. You have Lebron as a max player and Kobe as a pretty close to max player (I say pretty close because under the CBA, the Lakers could have re-signed him at 5% more than the $30 million he made this year) and the Lakers can still fill the roster with solid role players. Kobe's deal is only for 2 years and then in 2016, the Lakers basically say to Lebron: "Okay, who else do you want" and they have the money to go get them.

As for Pau, as much as I like the guy (my current favorite Laker) there is a difference between rewarding/taking care of Pau and doing that for a player who has been with the franchise for his entire 18 year career. I hate to say it, but I think Pau's "reward" is likely to be a trade to a contender.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

a loyal employee who helped us to 5 titles....your boys don't have that many combined to tie Kobe's....

Meanwhile, this style of play should keep them in lottery balls for a few years

thank you for playing

At this point, it's probably best to ignore BOT. He's had this explained to him multiple times by multiple posters (including at least one who is not a Lakers fan) and is simply trolling and trying to stir up crap.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at it from a business perspective. Lets take the New England Patriots for example.

They DO NOT PAY for past performance, and nobody should. They would rather get rid of a player too early than too late. They pay for what they think you are worth to them, in that exact period of time.

It's not smart business to give Kobe a loaded deal just because he's helped you win in the past. So what? This is a business, and in order to contend, you NEED him to take less money. I don't see any way that this was a good contract.

But it's not my money.

Thanks for your input. However, considering the numbers of titles that the Lakers have won vs. the number of titles the Patriots have won, I'll stick with the Lakers business model of rewarding their star players for their loyalty and service.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But it's not my money.

Exactly, this is a business. Securing Kobe for two more seasons means lots more dough to be made by the Lakers. It was a very smart business decision. Smart from a title contending perspective? Not as smart.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly, this is a business. Securing Kobe for two more seasons means lots more dough to be made by the Lakers. It was a very smart business decision. Smart from a title contending perspective? Not as smart.

Yes and no on the title contending perspective. For the immediate future, short of landing Lebron, it's not the smartest decision.

However, as far as winning titles in the future (starting 2-3 years from now) the Lakers just sent a message to every free agent out there that they will take care of you in the latter part of your career if you sign with them. That is a big thing for these guys to consider.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for your input. However, considering the numbers of titles that the Lakers have won vs. the number of titles the Patriots have won, I'll stick with the Lakers business model of rewarding their star players for their loyalty and service.

There is a difference in running these two sports......but the Patriot model works EVERY YEAR. They don't have to rebuild.

The Lakers DO. Either you see this or you don't. Their model is clearly better. And they have a much larger roster to deal with.

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Laker fans are sensitive today, last time they were like this I thnk they were swept in the playoffs...similar feeling I guess.

and you base your "honesty" on what? is that what Jim/Janie and the family told you that's what they would do? I'll dismiss your "honesty" as purely a negative dig at all-things Lakers/Kobe.....and get your facts straight about the all-time record before mouthing off.
since when do you need a source to have an opinion, especially on this board?

At this point, it's probably best to ignore BOT. He's had this explained to him multiple times by multiple posters (including at least one who is not a Lakers fan) and is simply trolling and trying to stir up crap.

LOL I am not trolling you or any laker fan.

I simply state I understand why they did it but you seem not to understand this means no contention and they probably are thinking about a rebuild, not contending with that contract. If they think they are ring chasing the next 2 years then you have more to worry about as a franchise than you thought.

If I was going to troll I would post links to lawyers who specialize in r*pe defense and suing mothers.

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes and no on the title contending perspective. For the immediate future, short of landing Lebron, it's not the smartest decision.

However, as far as winning titles in the future (starting 2-3 years from now) the Lakers just sent a message to every free agent out there that they will take care of you in the latter part of your career if you sign with them. That is a big thing for these guys to consider.

Then we do not even disagree on anything...except the level that Kobe is likely to play at.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's much easier putting together a title contending team and being in a position to win in basketball. Playoff formatting allows you to have an off night and usually the better team wins in a playoff round.

In football, you have to have the talent, coaching and a bit of luck to win the Super Bowl. The fact that the Patriots won 3 Super Bowls in 4 years is insane.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a difference in running these two sports......but the Patriot model works EVERY YEAR. They don't have to rebuild.

The Lakers DO. Either you see this or you don't. Their model is clearly better. And they have a much larger roster to deal with.

Really?!? When did they win their last Super Bowl? The Patriots are currently a 1st or 2nd round out in the playoffs.

Just because they WON'T rebuild, doesn't mean that they don't need to. How many championships have the Lakers won since 2000 and how many have the Patriots won? The Lakers model is clearly better if you want championships.

The Patriots also lost the last 2 Super Bowls that they were in. The Lakers won the last 2 they were in.

Last edited by a moderator:

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really?!? When did they win their last Super Bowl? The Patriots are currently a 1st or 2nd round out in the playoffs.

Just because they WON'T rebuild, doesn't mean that they don't need to.

Wrong forum but they rebuild constantly, the only pieces they do not change is Brady and BB.

LAKERSUSCBAM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
since when do you need a source to have an opinion, especially on this board?

exactly, thank you hater

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KOLD, you make sense. I am going to start reading your arguments in the future more carefully.