• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Just out of curiosity...

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What`s going on with Sly Williams these days. Did I miss he was hurt or does he sometimes sub? Just haven`t heard his name mentioned in a long time. My memory isn`t that great anymore so its quite possible I forgot past news on him.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't read anything about him and I haven't noticed him on the field much. Definitely been disappointing to me, since I was expecting him to make more of a splash this year. I admit that I don't see what's going on in the middle of the line on many plays, but it seems to me that we've gotten pretty effective play from our DTs. Hopefully Williams works his way into the rotation for more snaps and starts to become more of a presence.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't read anything about him and I haven't noticed him on the field much. Definitely been disappointing to me, since I was expecting him to make more of a splash this year. I admit that I don't see what's going on in the middle of the line on many plays, but it seems to me that we've gotten pretty effective play from our DTs. Hopefully Williams works his way into the rotation for more snaps and starts to become more of a presence.

Yeah TD, maybe he`s been in a few plays in last few gms and didn`t notice. If he was though, he certainly never got his name mentioned. Have a feeling he`s having some issues. Seen Unrein in there more. Hopefully he ends up just being a late developer like Ayers and in a yr or 2 he doesn`t make Denver regret taking him with 1st pk.

HOF-ELWAY-7

Speed Kills
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What`s going on with Sly Williams these days. Did I miss he was hurt or does he sometimes sub? Just haven`t heard his name mentioned in a long time. My memory isn`t that great anymore so its quite possible I forgot past news on him.

I can't remember too many DT's coming in a making much of a impact as a rookie. To me taking a DT in the first round of the draft is like filling your car up with gas, not fun but needed. Other than a few examples it seems to me that it takes at least two or three years for DT's to develop into good players. I think it's also important to note that Kevin (I hit the QB late and stupidly) Vickerson and Knighton are playing very good football.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't remember too many DT's coming in a making much of a impact as a rookie. To me taking a DT in the first round of the draft is like filling your car up with gas, not fun but needed. Other than a few examples it seems to me that it takes at least two or three years for DT's to develop into good players. I think it's also important to note that Kevin (I hit the QB late and stupidly) Vickerson and Knighton are playing very good football.

LOL Good analogy, but I think that rookie expectations for Sly were a bit higher than normal for a DT. In addition to the fact that he is 24 years old, which presumably makes his body more NFL-DT-ready, there were Elway's comments comparing him to a young Trevor Pryce. Afraid I might have drunk the kool aid there. Hopefully, however, your general point, that it will just take time for Sly to develop, is right.

Last edited by a moderator:

KwitYerWhinin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That sounds better. Also good news on Nate Irving too KYW

sure would be nice to see all of our defenders actually able to play for a change. Although I dont think it will take a lot of defense to beat the chiefs, Our offense would be better served if they can match some early season levels..maybe the D can blank the chiefs offense though...that would be fun

Last edited by a moderator:

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah the Denver Post article seems to say what the Broncos have been saying all year in the DT position is deeper than most thought which is giving Sly some time to actually develop. He has been in a few games and I have seen him blow up a couple of run plays already so maybe by the end of the year we will see him a little bit more. Right now though there doesn't seem to be much of a reason to play him considering how well our Defensive Tackles have been doing.

On a somewhat related note have to say this Free Agent class might be the best in Bronco history. I think almost every player the Broncos have brought in that were expected to get significant time on the field have produced very well. DRC has been our best corner, Vasquez our best OL, Welker probably 2nd best receiver now, Knighton is playing at a pro bowl level in my opinion, and Phillips is leading the team in sacks so far this season. Very impressive work Bronco Front Office.

KwitYerWhinin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Take into consideration that when the Bronco's picked up DRC, he was considered the lessor of the two Eagles "ex"-star corners. Drc has thoroughly upped his game as the Bronco's expected. The other ? not so much

Wheat

High Plains Drifter...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah the Denver Post article seems to say what the Broncos have been saying all year in the DT position is deeper than most thought which is giving Sly some time to actually develop. He has been in a few games and I have seen him blow up a couple of run plays already so maybe by the end of the year we will see him a little bit more. Right now though there doesn't seem to be much of a reason to play him considering how well our Defensive Tackles have been doing.

On a somewhat related note have to say this Free Agent class might be the best in Bronco history. I think almost every player the Broncos have brought in that were expected to get significant time on the field have produced very well. DRC has been our best corner, Vasquez our best OL, Welker probably 2nd best receiver now, Knighton is playing at a pro bowl level in my opinion, and Phillips is leading the team in sacks so far this season. Very impressive work Bronco Front Office.

getting Welker was like the icing on the cake. It just made Denver that much better.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL Good analogy, but I think that rookie expectations for Sly were a bit higher than normal for a DT. In addition to the fact that he is 24 years old, which presumably makes his body more NFL-DT-ready, there were Elway's comments comparing him to a young Trevor Pryce. Afraid I might have drunk the kool aid there. Hopefully, however, your general point, that it will just take time for Sly to develop, is right.

But Trevor Pryce really didn't do anything as a rookie, either. Only played in 8 games, managed 24 tackles and 2 sacks. Not exactly lighting the world on fire.

Basically, as others have said, defensive tackles usually take time to round into form. It's a tough transition.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But Trevor Pryce really didn't do anything as a rookie, either. Only played in 8 games, managed 24 tackles and 2 sacks. Not exactly lighting the world on fire.

Basically, as others have said, defensive tackles usually take time to round into form. It's a tough transition.

I don't know if you just looked his stats up or whether you actually remember seeing Pryce play at DT before he was moved to DE after a few years, but it was clear from the time that he was a rookie that he was a stud. And 24 tackles with two sacks in eight games is actually pretty good production for a DT.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if you just looked his stats up or whether you actually remember seeing Pryce play at DT before he was moved to DE after a few years, but it was clear from the time that he was a rookie that he was a stud. And 24 tackles with two sacks in eight games is actually pretty good production for a DT.

I looked up his stats to be sure, but I remembered him not having much of an impact as a rookie. And I completely disagree with you take that it was clear he was a stud; if that was the case why did he only play in 8 games? Sure, the Broncos hoped he would turn out great, but he didn't really show much his rookie year.

I remember after we won the Super Bowl, my dad bought the championship video and we were watching it. Well at the end, when the Broncos are celebrating winning the Super Bowl, there's this shot of Trevor Pryce on the sideline, and he's talking to the camera and he says, "We did it! We won! The Broncos! Us!" or at least something pretty close to that, and my dad kind of chuckled and was like, yeah, I hope you enjoyed that ride, Trevor, not that you contributed much to it.

Morpheus

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Del Rio said the other day in a radio interview that they like Sly and are bringing him along slowly and they can afford to with the depth they now have at DT.

He was not active for a some of the last few games i believe.

He also was injured in preseason i seem to remember.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I looked up his stats to be sure, but I remembered him not having much of an impact as a rookie. And I completely disagree with you take that it was clear he was a stud; if that was the case why did he only play in 8 games? Sure, the Broncos hoped he would turn out great, but he didn't really show much his rookie year.

I remember after we won the Super Bowl, my dad bought the championship video and we were watching it. Well at the end, when the Broncos are celebrating winning the Super Bowl, there's this shot of Trevor Pryce on the sideline, and he's talking to the camera and he says, "We did it! We won! The Broncos! Us!" or at least something pretty close to that, and my dad kind of chuckled and was like, yeah, I hope you enjoyed that ride, Trevor, not that you contributed much to it.

Well, my dad has said some wrong stuff too. Like you did when you quoted my post before, you again ignore part of what I wrote here, namely, that 24 tackles and two sacks in eight games is good production for a DT (compare those numbers, for example, with Knighton's and Vickerson's this year), not that stats are necessarily the best way to evaluate a DT. In any event, like I wrote in my first post, I think the facts that Williams is a 24 year old rookie and that Elway compared him to a young TP probably led a lot of Broncos fans to expect more from him than we have seen so far. As I also wrote in my first post, presumably that is due to having gotten effective play from the DTs ahead of him on the depth chart.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Del Rio said the other day in a radio interview that they like Sly and are bringing him along slowly and they can afford to with the depth they now have at DT.

He was not active for a some of the last few games i believe.

He also was injured in preseason i seem to remember.

He was injured for a bit then got a stinger in the regular season that had him limited for a practice or two. My guess is towards the last few games of the season we might see him a bit more to see if he can contribute come playoff time.

Right now the nice thing about this team is not many rookies have had to do a whole lot. Sly has been a healthy scratch not because he isn't talented but because there is talent. Ball has played a limited role but Moreno has actually been what I would consider a top 5 back this year in the NFL. Webster has seen the most time but if Champ comes back I think Webster will be limited to special teams again. The rest are either on the practice squad or gone so really we don't have much of a picture of how good or bad this draft class is yet.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, my dad has said some wrong stuff too. Like you did when you quoted my post before, you again ignore part of what I wrote here, namely, that 24 tackles and two sacks in eight games is good production for a DT (compare those numbers, for example, with Knighton's and Vickerson's this year), not that stats are necessarily the best way to evaluate a DT. In any event, like I wrote in my first post, I think the facts that Williams is a 24 year old rookie and that Elway compared him to a young TP probably led a lot of Broncos fans to expect more from him than we have seen so far. As I also wrote in my first post, presumably that is due to having gotten effective play from the DTs ahead of him on the depth chart.

I didn't ignore part of your post. I'm simply countering your argument that Pryce was really good right out of the gate. The fact is, he wasn't. It took him time.

Again, if he was so effective, why in the world didn't he play in 8 games that season?

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't ignore part of your post. I'm simply countering your argument that Pryce was really good right out of the gate. The fact is, he wasn't. It took him time.

Again, if he was so effective, why in the world didn't he play in 8 games that season?

I don't really know/remember why TP played in only eight games as a rookie. My guess is that it is because he was a 22 year-old rookie DT (cf. Williams is 24 in his rookie season) on a SB winning team. Does that seem plausible to you? Certainly does to me.

The fact is (LOL), that you posted his rookie stats, which in my opinion are as good as either Knighton's or Vickerson's this year so far in one more game than TP even played. Is that true?

Finally, I remember watching Pryce play in his rookie year and it was clear to me that he was he a stud, despite the opposing fact that your dad told you.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really know/remember why TP played in only eight games as a rookie. My guess is that it is because he was a 22 year-old rookie DT (cf. Williams is 24 in his rookie season) on a SB winning team. Does that seem plausible to you? Certainly does to me.

The fact is (LOL), that you posted his rookie stats, which in my opinion are as good as either Knighton's or Vickerson's this year so far in one more game than TP even played. Is that true?

Finally, I remember watching Pryce play in his rookie year and it was clear to me that he was he a stud, despite the opposing fact that your dad told you.

It's not just what my dad told me. I was simply using that story to illustrate my point. I too, watched Trevor Pryce play as a rookie.

But again, if he was such a stud, why did he only play in 8 games? You say it was because he was a rookie on a Super Bowl team, but he was a stud right out of the gate (according to you), so why didn't he play all 16 games?

But I guess a great talent evaluator such as yourself knew a lot more than the Broncos coaches who just refused to play this stud rookie dt for 8 games that season.