• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Just how bad are things at USC?

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a very bad look to not release the kid. It would do more harm than good and could hurt your final class right when signing day is around the corner.
Doesn't work that way any more ... that's what the transfer portal is all about. You don't have to get permission to transfer any more per the NCAA. Some conferences have rules about intra-conference transfers, but USC couldn't keep him from transferring, even if they wanted to.

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't work that way any more ... that's what the transfer portal is all about. You don't have to get permission to transfer any more per the NCAA. Some conferences have rules about intra-conference transfers, but USC couldn't keep him from transferring, even if they wanted to.

he wants to get a full release from letter of intent which would require him to sit out a year if they didn’t but sounds like they are going to grant it

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This isn't that big of a loss to SC as some people think. SC has a stable full of WR's. If anyone should be concerned about this kid it's Big 12 teams not named 'Texas'.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He can appeal to the committee (forgot the name). They have been very friendly in their past rulings toward players. USC may not want anymore press on this and just let him go. Right now USC has bigger issues than Bru McCoy. He is just a symptom of a bigger issue. It is January and it looks like they have a lame duck coach for 2019. They need to blow it all up and get a legit AD in there to move on from the Swann era
Do they even have a president yet? That’s step 1.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How much longer will USC actually keep Helton? Darnold pretty much is the only bright spot for the program since Helton's been coach. Imagine what would've happened if he went to Oregon instead and they were stuck with Max Browne. They'd maybe have 15 wins in the last 3 years.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How much longer will USC actually keep Helton? Darnold pretty much is the only bright spot for the program since Helton's been coach. Imagine what would've happened if he went to Oregon instead and they were stuck with Max Browne. They'd maybe have 15 wins in the last 3 years.
I asked about their president because I figure it all kind of revolves around that. They don’t want to hire a new AD, because the new president will want his/her hand in that, they don’t want to hire a new head coach because the new AD will want their own coach. They just have bigger issues that need to be worked out to get to that point. Helton isn’t completely worthless, he’s mostly had acceptable years there, a Rose bowl win, Pac 12 title with a Rose bowl loss... just doesn’t seem like the guy who can manage the talent/egos USC brings in. They are just hoping he can hang on and keep shit from completely falling apart until they can work everything else out.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I asked about their president because I figure it all kind of revolves around that. They don’t want to hire a new AD, because the new president will want his/her hand in that, they don’t want to hire a new head coach because the new AD will want their own coach. They just have bigger issues that need to be worked out to get to that point. Helton isn’t completely worthless, he’s mostly had acceptable years there, a Rose bowl win, Pac 12 title with a Rose bowl loss... just doesn’t seem like the guy who can manage the talent/egos USC brings in. They are just hoping he can hang on and keep shit from completely falling apart until they can work everything else out.
I think they've got one year to do it. Their defense was really bad this last year, and their offense was even worse. Daniels and St. Brown have some potential, but wow that was an ugly team last year considering the talent on paper. I'm wondering if Swann doesn't want to hire a new HC to try and save face somewhat but might not have the OK to do so. It's just a really ugly situation that was made worse by Kingsbury's antics.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he wants to get a full release from letter of intent which would require him to sit out a year if they didn’t but sounds like they are going to grant it
To do that he doesn't have to go into the transfer portal, which he has oddly done. If he can get a release from his LOI, he can sign with another school on NSD ... it won't be a transfer.

The other alternative, should they not release from the LOI, is to immediately transfer and seek a waiver. I can't imagine they will not release him, but I guess he has entered the portal just in case.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read up on it a bit ... he is an early enrollee, so the LOI doesn't matter any more. That is why he is in the transfer portal. USC can't do anything about that ... if he wants to go Texas, he can. The only issue is whether he can win his appeal to get the one year sit out provision waived. Could be interesting to see what the NCAA does with him and some of the Temple guys if they want to go somewhere else.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's what is frustrating about this, imo. The issues that seem to be holding back the football program, really have nothing to do with the football program.

As you point out, the current president is an interim guy. He can't really fire Swann because good AD's know that a new president is likely to want to bring in his own AD, so they won't want to take a chance it's not them.

Swann can't really fire Helton because top coaches know that if Swann gets fired, the new AD will want to hire his own HC and it may not be them.

That's what makes what happened with Kingsbury so tough. From what I heard, most of the NFL interest in him was as a consultant, QB coach or OC, none of which he was interested in. So it looked like a great hire.

Then the Cardinals go and take flyer on him as an HC. :L

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a dumpster fire for sure and this is just another thing on top of it but if theres one position USC can lose a player its at WR. USC has another 5* coming in and I'm wondering if Bru has seen the play of the 4* WR from Utah who has been outstanding at every all star game outplaying many 5*s and was voted co Poly player of the year with Tuas brother.

LongTimeSooner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a dumpster fire for sure and this is just another thing on top of it but if theres one position USC can lose a player its at WR. USC has another 5* coming in and I'm wondering if Bru has seen the play of the 4* WR from Utah who has been outstanding at every all star game outplaying many 5*s and was voted co Poly player of the year with Tuas brother.

Is that JT Daniels kid at QB still the answer? I didn't see him play much, but he kind of threw wet farts in the game I watched (vs. UT).

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is that JT Daniels kid at QB still the answer? I didn't see him play much, but he kind of threw wet farts in the game I watched (vs. UT).

I watched him at least 5 times in High School. I saw him six times live at USC last season including the Texas game in Austin. He was what he was . A talented kid behind an O line that continuously put him in 2nd and 3rd n long because of penalities and he had to run for his life a lot. Oh and the senior center looked like he was trying to see how wide and high he could snap it at least 10 times a game. Imagine a freshman QB trying to see what the defense is doing all the while knwoing he can't take his eyes off the center or risk the ball flying 15 yards backwards.
So it was really hard to tell what we have in him. I know he can throw with a good line and time like he had in HS but he never had that at USC this first season. His ceiling isn't Trevor Lawrence for sure but he can be a pretty good college QB.

BigRedMoe

Highly Polished Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah but I hear them sweater girls are freaky.
Tell me more. Talk slowly.

If you mean that most of them started off life with penises, yeah, I heard that too.
Nevermind.

giphy.gif

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think he can be. He actually should have still been a senior in high school, but graduated early to enroll at USC.

He showed flashes of what he is capable of and put up numbers similar to what Matt Barkley did when he was a true freshman starter. The problem was, he didn't show those flashes with a lot of consistency.

The play calling was suspect as well for most of the season which I think also held him back some. I understood them limiting the playbook early in the season as he was learning. But they never really expanded it much as the season went on, which made the offense pretty predictable.

Once their shot at getting to the PACCG, I felt they should have just opened up the whole playbook and lived with the result. But that didn't happen.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's also visiting UCLA and Oregon in the next couple of weeks.