• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Just Curious

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been poking around some of the MLB stats and this is what I see .... it also makes me wonder ..

For most offensive stats we are in the middle. Always seem to be around the 15th ranking. But for hitting with RISP we are a terrible 27th. Also notices that we are dead last in stolen bases.
Since I live in Canada and rarely evee see the giants or listen to a game. I rely on this board for information. One of the common themes I hear is that we are a station to station offense. We never seem to have a lot of 1st to 3rd movement ...

So ... im guessing this team is really rather slow. Last on stolen bases and station to station base ball sort of confirms that.

So .... for those of you how watch them or listen to them play ... how many scoring opportunities havre we lost just becuse of lack of speed?
Example ... man on 1st one out ... batter singles ... runner stops at 2nd. Next batter hit a long fly but runner can't score from 2nd on long fly. Not even sue he would score on a single.
How many scoring opportunities do you think we've lost because we are a station to station team?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TBF, I think a LOT of the station-to-station is due to the placement of the single rather than the speed of the runners. Though, some of that also may be because the runners are playing (too??) safe and waiting to make sure the ball drops.

without defining some metriic, it is difficult to answer this through anecdotal observation, though. I watch with tinted glasses, of course (as does every human), so I can’t really trust my anecdotal conclusions. Too much confirmation bias involved.

sf1giantfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TBF, I think a LOT of the station-to-station is due to the placement of the single rather than the speed of the runners. Though, some of that also may be because the runners are playing (too??) safe and waiting to make sure the ball drops.

without defining some metriic, it is difficult to answer this through anecdotal observation, though. I watch with tinted glasses, of course (as does every human), so I can’t really trust my anecdotal conclusions. Too much confirmation bias involved.
So what you are saying, it just might be our 3rd base coach? Very interesting take.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I was the slowest guy on my high school baseball team and so have both experience and expertise in this area. The Giants are slow.