• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

JULY 30-31 Rangers @ Arizona.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Taylor Hearn

Scouting grades: Fastball: 70 | Slider: 45 | Changeup: 55 | Control: 45 | Overall: 50

Hearn was drafted by the Pirates out of high school in 2012, but went on to San Jacinto Junior College and Oklahoma Baptist University, finally beginning his pro career in 2015 after the Nationals took him the fifth round of that June's Draft. The Pirates got their man a year later in the Mark Melancon deal that also netted them current closer Felipe Rivero.

Like Rivero, Hearn is a hard-throwing lefty with a premium fastball. He can throw it in the 97-98 mph range with regularity and can reach back for more on occasion. He has a very good feel for his changeup, an offspeed pitch that now flashes plus at times. But his third pitch, a slider, is below average. He has some feel to spin a breaking ball, but has struggled to find the right grip or the right type of shape for it, lacking the confident to throw it often enough. His control is another obstacle. While he misses bats and gets groundball outs, he also can pile up the walks, which limits his effectiveness and leads to questions about whether he can continue to start.

Hearn missed time in 2017 with an oblique injury, but made up for it by throwing well in the Arizona Fall League. His ability to refine his command and his breaking ball might determine his ultimate. He's ready for the upper levels of the Pirates system, where there is some pitching depth, so Hearn might get the chance to try on different pitching hats in 2018.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hearn has a 3.12 ERA in AA this year and a 1.08 WHIP in 104innings. 107 SO and 38 BB.

He will be 24 by the end of August.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hearn was ranked #7 recently in the Pirates system which is up from the preseason slot of #11.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Taylor Hearn

Scouting grades: Fastball: 70 | Slider: 45 | Changeup: 55 | Control: 45 | Overall: 50

Hearn was drafted by the Pirates out of high school in 2012, but went on to San Jacinto Junior College and Oklahoma Baptist University, finally beginning his pro career in 2015 after the Nationals took him the fifth round of that June's Draft. The Pirates got their man a year later in the Mark Melancon deal that also netted them current closer Felipe Rivero.

Like Rivero, Hearn is a hard-throwing lefty with a premium fastball. He can throw it in the 97-98 mph range with regularity and can reach back for more on occasion. He has a very good feel for his changeup, an offspeed pitch that now flashes plus at times. But his third pitch, a slider, is below average. He has some feel to spin a breaking ball, but has struggled to find the right grip or the right type of shape for it, lacking the confident to throw it often enough. His control is another obstacle. While he misses bats and gets groundball outs, he also can pile up the walks, which limits his effectiveness and leads to questions about whether he can continue to start.

Hearn missed time in 2017 with an oblique injury, but made up for it by throwing well in the Arizona Fall League. His ability to refine his command and his breaking ball might determine his ultimate. He's ready for the upper levels of the Pirates system, where there is some pitching depth, so Hearn might get the chance to try on different pitching hats in 2018.

I think hes from the same college as both Andy pettite and roger Clemens. Would be cool if he could pitch like those guys.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know time will tell but this guy really needs to pan out as a starter or I hope the PTBNL is an above average player otherwise to give up Kela who is just 1 year older than Hearn and was our closer at the MLB level just does not excite me.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know time will tell but this guy really needs to pan out as a starter or I hope the PTBNL is an above average player otherwise to give up Kela who is just 1 year older than Hearn and was our closer at the MLB level just does not excite me.

I hope PTBNL is another pitcher.

We aren’t doing shit until we can turn promising prospects into bad ass starting pitchers.

Other teams seem capable of doing it, but never us.

Who knows maybe if we stockpile enough arms, we will finally hit with one of them.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

JD did good here

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I say give the trade a chance.

Kela probably wasn’t going to be around when or if this team gets good.

Hopefully we just received at least a solid #3, or please dear god a #2 or #1 starter.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JD did good here
For me I have a hard time saying that yet as it could turn out to be a wash. If Hearn makes it to the bigs as a starter I am good regardless of the PTBNL. And if the PTBNL turns out to be an asset as well then it really is a killer deal. So I hope you are right.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do see Hearn is 1 1/2 years younger than Kela. We know Kela is a FA in 2022. So in Hearn's case his would be after 6 years of being on a MLB 25 man roster or DL. I may be incorrect on that if so appreciate the correction. But if that is the case then that is a plus for us if he becomes a viable commodity at the MLB level.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is easy to judge the results after the fact. What we know is Kela who is an asset for the next 3 years has been traded for a guy who projects as a future asset as a SP in 2020 or 2021.

The process is sound but I hope the results are as well. Plus do wonder whothe additional player in trade is.

Guess the scouting is the difference maker in all of this

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do see Hearn is 1 1/2 years younger than Kela. We know Kela is a FA in 2022. So in Hearn's case his would be after 6 years of being on a MLB 25 man roster or DL. I may be incorrect on that if so appreciate the correction. But if that is the case then that is a plus for us if he becomes a viable commodity at the MLB level.

and he's a LH SP. Important.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and he's a LH SP. Important.
Right and I mentioned that even though some project because of his lack of a 3rd pitch and control he may end up as a reliever.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope PTBNL is another pitcher.

We aren’t doing shit until we can turn promising prospects into bad ass starting pitchers.

Other teams seem capable of doing it, but never us.

Who knows maybe if we stockpile enough arms, we will finally hit with one of them.
Tyler Eppler RHP or Dovydes Neverauskas RHP or Oddy Nunez LHP would be a good choice