• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jonah Williams and the Oline

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was kinda shocked after reading this on the Bengals website, as i didn't know he played that well. The rest of the line played so shitty I guess I just didn't notice how good Williams was.

According to Pro Football Focus, in his first NFL game he allowed just three hurries against the Chargers pass-rush tandem of Joey Bosa and Melvin Ingram on a defense that would finish in the top ten in quarterback knockdowns. In his first game against the Browns' Myles Garrett, he allowed no sacks and two hits on 72 Burrow dropbacks.

Although Williams allowed one of the eight sacks in Philadelphia that next week, Callahan feels like he played well that Sunday, allowing just one other pressure against a team that finished the season with the third-most sacks. He allowed no pressures on the 23 passes before he got hurt against a Miami defense that finished in the top ten in sacks. He also gave up no pressures against the Jaguars' explosive young edgers, Josh Allen and K'Lavon Chaisson, and yielded no sacks while allowing one hit on Burrow to a Ravens defense that had the NFL's second-most quarterback knockdowns.

"Jonah is very prideful about his craft and he wants to get better," Callahan says.

It starts with getting acclimated to new offensive line coach Frank Pollack and the two seemed to have hit it off. Extolling Williams' many tools last month, Pollack observed, "Nothing but up for Jonah Williams." After his first six practices with Pollack the past two weeks, Williams' focused attention to technique seems to fit Pollack's style.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was kinda shocked after reading this on the Bengals website, as i didn't know he played that well. The rest of the line played so shitty I guess I just didn't notice how good Williams was.

According to Pro Football Focus, in his first NFL game he allowed just three hurries against the Chargers pass-rush tandem of Joey Bosa and Melvin Ingram on a defense that would finish in the top ten in quarterback knockdowns. In his first game against the Browns' Myles Garrett, he allowed no sacks and two hits on 72 Burrow dropbacks.

Although Williams allowed one of the eight sacks in Philadelphia that next week, Callahan feels like he played well that Sunday, allowing just one other pressure against a team that finished the season with the third-most sacks. He allowed no pressures on the 23 passes before he got hurt against a Miami defense that finished in the top ten in sacks. He also gave up no pressures against the Jaguars' explosive young edgers, Josh Allen and K'Lavon Chaisson, and yielded no sacks while allowing one hit on Burrow to a Ravens defense that had the NFL's second-most quarterback knockdowns.

"Jonah is very prideful about his craft and he wants to get better," Callahan says.

It starts with getting acclimated to new offensive line coach Frank Pollack and the two seemed to have hit it off. Extolling Williams' many tools last month, Pollack observed, "Nothing but up for Jonah Williams." After his first six practices with Pollack the past two weeks, Williams' focused attention to technique seems to fit Pollack's style.
I knew he had played well, and the OL around him at times made him look at fault or bad, but I always thought he did a good job considering it was his 1st full year coming off injury and surrounded by trash.

I didn't realize he had played that well, though. Makes you realize with Reiff at RT and Williams at LT, why the Bengals felt like they felt a guy like Carman would, ultimately, be a bigger upgrade on the OL and allowed them the freedom to take a player like Chase.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Williams and I have high hopes for him. But here's what I don't understand about some his his stats..... If you are an above average pass protector on a line with at least 2 liabilities, shouldn't your pass protection numbers look awesome? That is, given that the liabilities will have a much higher probability of getting beat by their guys, which means you won't give up many sacks or hurries. That doesn't necessary make you good - It just means your QB was sacked or forced to get rid of the ball before you lost your one-on-one. Also, D-coordinators likely let their guy go one-on-one with him while running stunts and other line games at the the liabilities.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Williams and I have high hopes for him. But here's what I don't understand about some his his stats..... If you are an above average pass protector on a line with at least 2 liabilities, shouldn't your pass protection numbers look awesome? That is, given that the liabilities will have a much higher probability of getting beat by their guys, which means you won't give up many sacks or hurries. That doesn't necessary make you good - It just means your QB was sacked or forced to get rid of the ball before you lost your one-on-one. Also, D-coordinators likely let their guy go one-on-one with him while running stunts and other line games at the the liabilities.
I think that is all very true, but no one can block these freaks forever. So the fact that his guys always were the last to make it, and he is usually going against the freaks on the outside, like Myles Garrett, Joey Bosa, and so forth and so on...you have to be happy that those guys are the ones not getting there the fastest. NFL QB's do not have all day to sit in the pocket whether they have the worst line or the best line. Best lines will eventually get beat if that QB stands back there and holds the ball. 2.5 seconds, that is the time to beat your guy at the line of scrimmage. If you can hold him up 2.5 seconds to 3 seconds, you won your matchup. It is up to the QB and his weapons to get open within that time.