• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jon Gruden is Suing the NFL

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.69
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goodell works for 32 ruthless bastards who are not going to want to be dragged across concrete. How many of thoise guys have dirty laundry and have said shit that could be exposed? You may think Gruden was wrong, don't like him or something else. The one thing to remember is that Goodell chose to make this public when it could have been handled in a much better better, private way. Goodell's ego far outweighs his intelligence. He has a hard-on for several NFL coaches and takes every opportunity to stick them with a dagger and twist it.

This could be Goodell's last hurrah. There already about fifteen owners who've always sided against his garbage but have been convinced by others "for the good of the game" to stay on the tracks and not jump them. This is not going to be "for the good of the game" and once this starts to get ugly, more than one Owners' emails and texts just might start to find their way into the sports news.

Golden Spur

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just think no matter how you feel about what he said, this was a dooshtoid move releasing private emails selectively like this. If a higher-up in the NFL was responsible, they should pay. If it's a lower-level employee, they should be fired.

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goodell works for 32 ruthless bastards who are not going to want to be dragged across concrete. How many of thoise guys have dirty laundry and have said shit that could be exposed? You may think Gruden was wrong, don't like him or something else. The one thing to remember is that Goodell chose to make this public when it could have been handled in a much better better, private way. Goodell's ego far outweighs his intelligence. He has a hard-on for several NFL coaches and takes every opportunity to stick them with a dagger and twist it.

This could be Goodell's last hurrah. There already about fifteen owners who've always sided against his garbage but have been convinced by others "for the good of the game" to stay on the tracks and not jump them. This is not going to be "for the good of the game" and once this starts to get ugly, more than one Owners' emails and texts just might start to find their way into the sports news.

Kraft is still on board with him, as well as Jones, Rooney and Mara. As long as he has those established, powerhouse owners in his corner, he'll be bullet proof to the rest of the league ever taking a run at him. Kraft and Jones both have to flip (the other two definitely aren't) and they probably would, except it's bad for business.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the new America… say ridiculous things and then sue someone because they exposed them.
The NFL will need to settle before this gets to a courtroom.

Gruden should end up coming out ahead, without putting in ten years of work.

Not a chance they risk the other 600,000 emails going public. Because we all know Gruden calling Rog’ a fag is far from the most damning thing they found. But the ‘Skin still have woke brownie points with the Shield.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I made it through law school, and I give this a 80-90% chance the suit is kicked on motions to dismiss. I haven't read the complaint that was filed, but I can't imagine any valid cause of action here for the NFL releasing his emails and not others. Plus, the fact that he resigned won't help him very much. It's hard to sue an employer unless you have race/national origin/sex/gender discrimination, ADA stuff, or the like going on. If he gets the right judge, he could hang on for awhile, but probably would never make it past summary judgment later on. The NFL might want to just settle and make it all go away if it gets past the motion to dismiss stage, though.

@Niner Outlaw , what do you think?
I tend to agree that his suit doesn't have a high chance of success. Like you said, if the suit hangs on for a while, the league could settle it for a relative nuisance value, but the league will settle in a hurry if it looks like Gruden has a chance at getting the emails that the league has refused to disclose.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This isnt going to settle. Gruden doesnt have a leg to stand on. He sent offensive emails via a work email address.

Anyone here in this thread: Would you sue your boss if you were busted calling your boss a f*g in a work email? No. Because you would have no chance of success. And neither does Gruden. This is Gruden being mad right now and making poor choices and having a lawyer that is wanting to make a name for himself while billing Gruden by the hour.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess some teams would be better off if the NFL just folded. Take their chances with a new League.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This isnt going to settle. Gruden doesnt have a leg to stand on. He sent offensive emails via a work email address.

Anyone here in this thread: Would you sue your boss if you were busted calling your boss a f*g in a work email? No. Because you would have no chance of success. And neither does Gruden. This is Gruden being mad right now and making poor choices and having a lawyer that is wanting to make a name for himself while billing Gruden by the hour.
If your boss fired you over some inappropriate emails, and tells the world you were to only one with inappropriate emails and you know matter of fact there's plenty of others with inappropriate emails, maybe even from your boss, then yes you sue.

Especially if you were smart enough to save some of those emails.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If your boss fired you over some inappropriate emails, and tells the world you were to only one with inappropriate emails and you know matter of fact there's plenty of others with inappropriate emails, maybe even from your boss, then yes you sue.

Especially if you were smart enough to save some of those emails.

Meh, when has the "but he did it too" excuse ever worked? Cancel culture doesn't work that way.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,532.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh, when has the "but he did it too" excuse ever worked? Cancel culture doesn't work that way.
In this particular case, they used him as a scapegoat to protect one of their fellow owners.
They would be bettter off getting rid of that owner but he is a paying member of this good ole' boys club.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In this particular case, they used him as a scapegoat to protect one of their fellow owners.
They would be bettter off getting rid of that owner but he is a paying member of this good ole' boys club.

Is he really a scapegoat, or is the case against the other guys involved still moving forward? It's a very different thing to get rid of an owner; it's not like they can be "fired"....

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It won't save him, just drag down someone else (deservedly).
I agree, but if Roger doesn’t want anyone else drug down, maybe even himself, the NFL will pay Gruden for his silence.

Of course if Gruden did safe emails and is threatening to release them if not paid, the NFL could sue him for bkackmail. Of course this will still force the emails to be released.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, but if Roger doesn’t want anyone else drug down, maybe even himself, the NFL will pay Gruden for his silence.

Of course if Gruden did safe emails and is threatening to release them if not paid, the NFL could sue him for bkackmail. Of course this will still force the emails to be released.

It's not like they only had Gruden's side of these email chains. Everyone is aware that the NFL was investigating the WFT; it just takes time to finish. The Gruden portion was leaked and happened likely ahead of their intended schedule.

Gruden deserves what he got, and so do many more I'm sure. Time will tell...