• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

John McEnroe Won’t Apologize for His Serena Williams Ranking

Hs0022

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The best woman chess player in history of the sport Judith Polgar had a peak rating of 2735. This is a fairly low rating considering how the top ranked player had his peak rating at 2882. That is a mind blowing difference of 147 points. And that is in a mental skills sport. Physical sports differentiate between the two genders with a much more vast gap.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The best woman chess player in history of the sport Judith Polgar had a peak rating of 2735. This is a fairly low rating considering how the top ranked player had his peak rating at 2882. That is a mind blowing difference of 147 points. And that is in a mental skills sport. Physical sports differentiate between the two genders with a much more vast gap.

I don't know how the rankings work.

Why is 147 points a big difference? It's 5.3% difference.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmm...I think Ill retract my previous thought.

I was under the assumption the Serena was pulling similar power numbers to the men's players which is a bit silly when I look at it.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is an even bigger thread on another board. The gullibility of some is pretty funny. Serena is not beating any man in the top 50 or even 100. She might be able to win a match in the top 500 but would still lose more than win. She would not win a single game against a top 10 player.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is an even bigger thread on another board. The gullibility of some is pretty funny. Serena is not beating any man in the top 50 or even 100. She might be able to win a match in the top 500 but would still lose more than win. She would not win a single game against a top 10 player.

Overall I agree with this. I think she could beat someone, at some time. But not regularly. And even if she did beat one person, if she played him 5 times, she'd probably lose 4 of those matches.

I do think there's a chance she or Venus could beat someone in the top 100 though, but just based on matchups.

For example, I'm thinking of Giles Simon. Doesn't serve fast or big, and doesn't create a lot of winners.

His game is more on his stamina.

I think Venus or Serena would match up with someone like him better.

Marcos Baghdatis (makes a lot of errors) or Dudi Sela might be my other picks.

I'd probably pick the Australia Open surface for Serena, and Wimbledon for Venus. Unless she was going against Baghdatis, then I'd pick hard courts. The USO is his worst surface, so I'd pick that.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Overall I agree with this. I think she could beat someone, at some time. But not regularly. And even if she did beat one person, if she played him 5 times, she'd probably lose 4 of those matches.

I do think there's a chance she or Venus could beat someone in the top 100 though, but just based on matchups.

For example, I'm thinking of Giles Simon. Doesn't serve fast or big, and doesn't create a lot of winners.

His game is more on his stamina.

I think Venus or Serena would match up with someone like him better.

Marcos Baghdatis (makes a lot of errors) or Dudi Sela might be my other picks.

I'd probably pick the Australia Open surface for Serena, and Wimbledon for Venus. Unless she was going against Baghdatis, then I'd pick hard courts. The USO is his worst surface, so I'd pick that.

If there was any chance at all I would say Nick Kyrgios. If his head explodes he could lose to anyone.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In fact Serena should really shut her trap seeing as both Sarena and Venus once bragged that they could beat any man ranked outside of the top 200. The guy ranked 203 took them up on it and kicked their ass.

1998: Karsten Braasch (#203) vs. the Williams sisters • r/tennis

1998: Karsten Braasch vs. the Williams sisters Edit Another event dubbed a "Battle of the Sexes" took place during the 1998 Australian Open[34] between Karsten Braasch and the Williams sisters. Venus and Serena Williams had claimed that they could beat any male player ranked outside the world's top 200, so Braasch, then ranked 203rd, challenged them both. Braasch was described by one journalist as "a man whose training regime centered around a pack of cigarettes and more than a couple bottles of ice cold lager".[35][36] The matches took place on court number 12 in Melbourne Park,[37] after Braasch had finished a round of golf and two beers. He first took on Serena and after leading 5–0, beat her 6–1. Venus then walked on court and again Braasch was victorious, this time winning 6–2.[38] Braasch said afterwards, "500 and above, no chance". He added that he had played like someone ranked 600th in order to keep the game "fun".[39] Braasch said the big difference was that men can chase down shots much easier, and that men put spin on the ball that the women can't handle. The Williams sisters adjusted their claim to beating men outside the top 350.

Holy shit! This really happened and these broads are still pissing and moaning about what McEnroe said?

Funny as hell. Thanks for enlightening me on this, DGF.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If there was any chance at all I would say Nick Kyrgios. If his head explodes he could lose to anyone.

Lol. Krygios is too good of a shot maker.

I want someone that doesn't hit as hard.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wawrinka's girlfriend Donna Vekic alone should beat a doubles team of Krygios and Kokkinakis.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And you missed mine ;)

I did. :( I used to be bad at in-person jokes too. But sometimes it would be because I wouldn't react as quickly as some would like.

Hs0022

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ROTFL!! I agree somewhat!! But Serena is a hot head as well! That would be an interesting matchup.

Hs0022

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone getting the vibe that Mac is baiting Serena to play an old man in round two of the battle of sexes? He has almost nothing better to do and if Serena challenges him he would accept in a heartbeat! Lol my prediction is 6-2, 6-3 JMac. And he would be playing down to make it interesting.

Vegas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,631.83
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone getting the vibe that Mac is baiting Serena to play an old man in round two of the battle of sexes? He has almost nothing better to do and if Serena challenges him he would accept in a heartbeat! Lol my prediction is 6-2, 6-3 JMac. And he would be playing down to make it interesting.

I think Mac would love to do a Bobby Riggs type of match. And I agree that he'd beat Serena handily.

But there's no way Serena would go for it. She knows better. Here's what she said a couple years ago when asked about playing against Andy Murray:

"If I were to play Andy Murray, I would lose 6-0, 6-0 in five to six minutes, maybe 10 minutes,' she said. ... I only want to play girls because I don't want to be embarrassed."

Roy Munson

Posting with one hand
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Mac would love to do a Bobby Riggs type of match. And I agree that he'd beat Serena handily.

But there's no way Serena would go for it. She knows better. Here's what she said a couple years ago when asked about playing against Andy Murray:

"If I were to play Andy Murray, I would lose 6-0, 6-0 in five to six minutes, maybe 10 minutes,' she said. ... I only want to play girls because I don't want to be embarrassed."

Didn't they try to set something up where she'd hit to the doubles court and play on clay?

Vegas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,631.83
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't they try to set something up where she'd hit to the doubles court and play on clay?

It was talked about but never got serious. Serena isn't about to tarnish her reputation by risking a beatdown.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Andy Murray isn't as realistic. Beating one person, only one time, in the top 100-700 is what's being talked about as possible, in some people's opinions.