• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

John McEnroe Won’t Apologize for His Serena Williams Ranking

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I keep thinking of Serena in her prime, not now. Prior to getting knocked up, she was playing great, but it isn't the best version of Serena we have seen, IMO. Give me something like 29 yr old Serena against a ATP player in the 500s and I give it to Serena.

Although, she may have mellowed a bit since turning 30, whcih only helps her.

Agreed.

Father time eventually wins. In terms of her in her prime vs a top 500...I like her chances. I don't watch enough tennis to see what top 500 games are like, but if it's anything like golf, it's probably lack of consistency that keeps those players from breaking into the next tier.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed.

Father time eventually wins. In terms of her in her prime vs a top 500...I like her chances. I don't watch enough tennis to see what top 500 games are like, but if it's anything like golf, it's probably lack of consistency that keeps those players from breaking into the next tier.
I don't expect her to go out there and be a pusher. I would expect her to force errors and get a couple winners in there.

But then again, I don't think it is fair or even necessary to make the comparison. To neg Serena for something like this is kind of BS.

She IS the best woman tennis player I have seen. I don't need to knock her down by saying "well, you'd still lose to a man"

I'd rather give credit where credit is due.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OMG!!! According to Wiki there is men's field hockey in the Olympics. I'm guessing either the US doesn't have a team or it sucks.
one of the elementary schools where I grew up didn't have a soccer team, so it allowed the boys to play on the girls field hockey team. The #1 singles player on my HS tennis team played elementary school field hockey.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't expect her to go out there and be a pusher. I would expect her to force errors and get a couple winners in there.

But then again, I don't think it is fair or even necessary to make the comparison. To neg Serena for something like this is kind of BS.

She IS the best woman tennis player I have seen. I don't need to knock her down by saying "well, you'd still lose to a man"

I'd rather give credit where credit is due.

I always liked Johnny Mc as a player, and he's okay as an analyst (I think his brother is better), but I don't get this aside from just wanting to knock her down a bit. Why give a player all these accolades and add something like this to the equation? WTF does it matter if she can't beat the #700 male player.

Serena is the best I've ever seen as well, but I'd love to have seen her face Graf both in their primes.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always liked Johnny Mc as a player, and he's okay as an analyst (I think his brother is better), but I don't get this aside from just wanting to knock her down a bit. Why give a player all these accolades and add something like this to the equation? WTF does it matter if she can't beat the #700 male player.

Serena is the best I've ever seen as well, but I'd love to have seen her face Graf both in their primes.
over in the politics forum, where this conversation is also going on, they are blaming the reporter who asked the question, saying she set McEnroe up. I don't get that either.

Roy Munson

Posting with one hand
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think its an interesting challenge. I'm sure there are guys in the top 700 that they could beat just based on skillsets matching up differently or depending on the type of court they played, but it wouldn't be pretty.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think its an interesting challenge. I'm sure there are guys in the top 700 that they could beat just based on skillsets matching up differently or depending on the type of court they played, but it wouldn't be pretty.
I agree. Serena is definitely at a disadvantage and the underdog, but I think she can hold her own and possibly win

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and like I posted in the other thread, how would the worst guy on the men's tour fair against the #1? He would be comparable to how Clijsters did against Hewitt, right?

This by no means equates to pro tennis, but it does equate to men vs women in tennis. Back when I had knees I used to play a little tennis...ALTA league for those that live in the ATL area...I was like a C player that could beat a B every now and then, but not consistently.

I would beat the womens A player on our team maybe 6-2, on her best day 6-3. She was a legit A player, she would win probably 60% of her matches vs other women A players...I'm 6'3" and had a decent top spin serve and mediocre ground strokes...return of serve was a big challenge for her.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They both lost in straight sets to the 200th ranked player in the world while he was drinking scotch and smoking a cigar.

How to... beat both Williams sisters in one afternoon | Sport | The Observer

Yes, but I think they're better players now than they were then.

Also, I'll amend what I said a little bit. I think they could beat some players in the top 100, if they got the right matchups.

But in terms of where they'd rank if they played a full year, that would be more difficult. A few 1st round losses and they wouldn't have many ranking points. So maybe 500-700 is on target to where they'd be.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Besides, any competition that's judged, isn't a sport.

Just asking a question here.

Can the top women bowl well? I think bowling lanes are the same everywhere.

And each individual can choose the weight of the ball that is best for them.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about archery, if you set the distances the same.

Can women get good scores?

What about table tennis? Because that sport isn't about how hard one hits, but rather reflexes.

Or what about badminton?

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uh...no. Men would kick their ass in Field Hockey. Also pool is not a sport- nor is darts or anything else played in a bar.

I disagree with this.

As long as the setting is professional (like a regulation darts or billiards arena), then it should count.

Same with my bowling suggestion. There's professional bowling alleys.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Men versus Women Tennis
When former number 1's Kim Clijsters and Lleyton Hewitt were dating, she said that she struggled to win a point off Hewitt, let alone a game.

Now this I understand. I don't think Clijster's game matches with Men because she doesn't have a powerful serve.

Venus and Serena, what makes them different is their serve.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Black Widow (Sonya Thomas) didn't have to face Joey Chestnut or Kobayashi, could she win the Hot Dog eating contest some year?