• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jimmy G. or Shanahan... Who should shoulder more of the blame?

Jimmy G. or Shanahan... Who should shoulder more of the blame?

• Jimmy G.

Votes: 13 19.7%
  • Shanahan

Votes: 33 50.0%
  • They both stunk it up in the 4th and deserve equal blame

Votes: 20 30.3%

• Total voters

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The clock keeps ticking if JG makes a throw as well.
That is true, but that is not the wise thing to do. They were running the ball very well. Maybe they had been passing the ball well, but we both know that the smart move is to run the ball.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Somewhat agree. I think it needs more work in the draft as does the defense in general. Would just say any front 4 with Frank Clark, Chris Jones, and any version of Suggs is going to at least be pretty decent. You get decent run-stuffers in there like Nnadi and Saunders and you can make it work if you babysit the LB's and protect them from guards via scheme. The Chiefs got fake good against the run over the last 6-8 games by running over fronts and having the DL just win 1v1, but this isn't the 49er DL either and you can't hide those LB's forever.

Can't hide those LB's when you're moving side to side though is the thing with jet sweeps and disguised outside runs. Those dudes flat can't run anywhere but downhill.
I agree but they got better at stopping that in the 2nd half, I thought. Breeland made a couple of great plays to stuff that too.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Somewhat agree. I think it needs more work in the draft as does the defense in general. Would just say any front 4 with Frank Clark, Chris Jones, and any version of Suggs is going to at least be pretty decent. You get decent run-stuffers in there like Nnadi and Saunders and you can make it work if you babysit the LB's and protect them from guards via scheme. The Chiefs got fake good against the run over the last 6-8 games by running over fronts and having the DL just win 1v1, but this isn't the 49er DL either and you can't hide those LB's forever.

Can't hide those LB's when you're moving side to side though is the thing with jet sweeps and disguised outside runs. Those dudes flat can't run anywhere but downhill.
Nnadi is a keeper. I'd like to see him as a Chief for awhile. Spags found a 3 DT rotation that works. Clark is going to be on the edge for awhile.

Chris Jones...I could see him being a 2nd tier priority. Best pass rusher but more of a liability against the run.

Thornhill is stronger and faster than Sorenson. Sorenson is a great backup but I think that spot might be locked down for awhile with Thornhill.

That leaves the linebackers. Chiefs could replace any and all of them.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just dont get why anyone has to "be to blame". Jimmy played well. SF led late. KC won. It was a good game where the Chiefs offense proved to be better than the Niners D when it mattered most. Thats pretty much what most of us expected isnt it?

Well, you gloss over the details with your summary, and that's not how fans roll most of the time.

I think most people that looked at the game feel SF "lost" the game, or at the very least play calling late helped KC on some level....I've been on the phone today with my KC fan brother n law and he said the same thing.

Granted...12 mins is a lot of time, but KC was able to come back so quickly because two of the SF possessions barely ran 4 mins off the clock. Since the running game was still working, it did not make much sense to risk stopping the clock, 1st and 2nd downs should have been automatic runs...it's not like they were a heavy passing team without much of a running game.

For me, I look to cast some blame because they went away from what was working before KC truly stopped it....KC made some plays vs the run game, but they never really shut it down...when the clock is your friend, why try to go away from it?

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is true, but that is not the wise thing to do. They were running the ball very well. Maybe they had been passing the ball well, but we both know that the smart move is to run the ball.
Sure. They were running the ball well when they tried to. I don't know why the went away from it.

I don't think JG should carry most of the blame, but if the coach puts the ball in your hand, you need to seize the moment. JG simply did not.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Neither QB was all that fantastic, Mahomes just did a better job in the end. The both had passer ratings under 80.

Barely and he got some breaks, too. The PI in the EZ was a bad throw and the 3rd & 15 to Hill would have been picked off if the safety wasn't sleeping back there. Mahomes was off all night, but he got it done.

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barely and he got some breaks, too. The PI in the EZ was a bad throw and the 3rd & 15 to Hill would have been picked off if the safety wasn't sleeping back there. Mahomes was off all night, but he got it done.

That's basically what I said.

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure. They were running the ball well when they tried to. I don't know why the went away from it.

I don't think JG should carry most of the blame, but if the coach puts the ball in your hand, you need to seize the moment. JG simply did not.
I agree. JG isn't blame free. Kyle should shoulder most of the blame.

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
THIS, this is what happened in the game,

upload_2020-2-3_15-14-32.png

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just dont get why anyone has to "be to blame". Jimmy played well. SF led late. KC won. It was a good game where the Chiefs offense proved to be better than the Niners D when it mattered most. Thats pretty much what most of us expected isnt it?
Yeah pretty much this. Someone's gonna win and it's not always anyone's 'fault'

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, passing on 2nd and 5 is a problem in that situation because if it's incomplete, then you have to pass on 3rd and 5 and you're predictable. If you run like you should have on 2nd and 5, then there's a good chance you pick up a few yards, and then the whole playbook is open for 3rd and 2. And then you also have the additional benefit of the game clock continuing to run. It really was a no-brainer.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brady-esque

He's got more quickness than Brady, but who doesn't? LOL. But people are correct in saying that Brady has much more pocket presence. Brady probably doesn't throw that first interception and Brady is a master of getting rid of the ball before bad things can happen.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of you guys in here are much better at analyzing how last night's game went. I'm still a bit perplexed at how momentum swung at almost the blink of an eye. By well into the 4th quarter it was still SF's game to lose. I never saw KC look so confused and out manned on both sides of the ball, then almost out of nowhere everything switched. It was fascinating to watch, tho. Very entertaining game overall.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
THIS, this is what happened in the game,

View attachment 231647

And I still think that Shanahan is a good coach and that it would be dumb for the Niners to move on from him, but if he is lucky enough to make it to a Super Bowl again, he better coach to win and not throw away scoring opportunities. With all the things that have to fall in place for a team to make the Super Bowl, there's a good chance that Shanahan never gets to another one. You have to go full throttle when you are in a Super Bowl.

It seems like going ultra conservative makes you lose much more often than it helps you win. If you think about some recent Super Bowls, it's the coaches that were willing to make aggressive coaching decisions (like Andy Reid yesterday and Doug Pederson) who got the rewards. You have to play to win. It's a novel concept, I know. LOL.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of you guys in here are much better at analyzing how last night's game went. I'm still a bit perplexed at how momentum swung at almost the blink of an eye. By well into the 4th quarter it was still SF's game to lose. I never saw KC look so confused and out manned on both sides of the ball, then almost out of nowhere everything switched. It was fascinating to watch, tho. Very entertaining game overall.

It's just the nature of pro sports. Impossible to really know what will happen when the best of the best are on the field against each other. It's impossible to know which side will make more great plays. A lot of it comes down to luck. A lot of it comes down to which side doesn't make mistakes. There's really no absolute truths that you can point to and say that x will happen nearly every single time. I think Mahomes is the best QB in the league, but he's not going to be 30/33, 400 yards, 4 TD's, 0 INTs every single game.

And momentum swings can happen any time and often.