• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jimmy G. or Shanahan... Who should shoulder more of the blame?

Jimmy G. or Shanahan... Who should shoulder more of the blame?

• Jimmy G.

Votes: 13 19.7%
  • Shanahan

Votes: 33 50.0%
  • They both stunk it up in the 4th and deserve equal blame

Votes: 20 30.3%

• Total voters

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He didn't even play that poorly. Every QB is going to have periods where they miss some throws. First drive of the 4th, he missed one throw, and they punted. Next drive, he missed two throws he shouldn't even have been attempting. Not great, but it's hard to fault a guy for two plays. The worst was the (final) drive when he missed three straight throws. That's not good, sure, but he shouldn't even have been in that position to start with. He did make some plays right before that to get them to midfield.

In order I chalk this one up to:
Mahomes
SF Defense
Shanahan
Jimmy G
He played his poorest football in the 4th quarter of the SB. That is very telling.

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also the D got kind of tired at the end, which is typical. Defenses are stronger in first halves
It almost seems like you are saying that running the ball in the 4th would have been a good idea for San Fran.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It almost seems like you are saying that running the ball in the 4th would have been a good idea for San Fran.

Shanahan totally blew it on the playcalling. When they got past midfield with just under 2 minutes left down 4 points, they could've ran it there, too. They had all 3 timeouts and plenty of time to play for 5 to 10 yard gains at a time.

That deep ball that almost connected can be seen as a bad call because late in the game, you call plays for all four downs. Early downs should be used for short passes or runs so that the later downs are easier conversion attempts. I don't know the fatigue level of the Chiefs D at that point, but it seems like offenses usually have the energy advantage late in games, so it almost feels like that long pass play helped bail out the defense. That's a low percentage play for even the best QB's.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shanahan totally blew it on the playcalling. When they got past midfield with just under 2 minutes left down 4 points, they could've ran it there, too. They had all 3 timeouts and plenty of time to play for 5 to 10 yard gains at a time.

That deep ball that almost connected can be seen as a bad call because late in the game, you call plays for all four downs. Early downs should be used for short passes or runs so that the later downs are easier conversion attempts. I don't know the fatigue level of the Chiefs D at that point, but it seems like offenses usually have the energy advantage late in games, so it almost feels like that long pass play helped bail out the defense. That's a low percentage play for even the best QB's.
If its the same deep ball I'm thinking of, thats a touchdown if the throw was accurate.

Thats the 'Eli Manning' throw that you need to make to win a Super Bowl.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would have. So would JG not overthrowing a wide open receiver for the win. I voted both deserve blame.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If its the same deep ball I'm thinking of, thats a touchdown if the throw was accurate.

Exactly, the great ones make plays. JG probably isn't great, and he has more to do to prove he's pretty good. He still has time.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That is considered wide open in the NFL. Great QB's make that throw.

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would have. So would JG not overthrowing a wide open receiver for the win. I voted both deserve blame.
He should never had been throwing the ball. I think we can both agree that the 49rs should have been running the ball and closing out this game.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, we're thinking of the same one. I see that kind of play like a 3 point shot in basketball. Even the best may not hit that 50% of the time. While Jimmy has played pretty good so far in his career, no one sees him as one of the elite QB's. Jimmy used up his 50% connect rate on the play earlier that got called back because of OPI.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing I want to give the 49ers credit for is I don't think any other team this year has really challenged the Chiefs linebackers horizontally like they have. Flat exposed the bailing wire the run D was built on. Chiefs have a nice platoon of DT's to clog up the run, but those linebackers just ain't shit when it comes down to it. Chiefs need to fix their LB's or they will run into a team- maybe the 49ers again- that can and will take advantage of it.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, we're thinking of the same one. I see that kind of play like a 3 point shot in basketball. Even the best may not hit that 50% of the time. While Jimmy has played pretty good so far in his career, no one sees him as one of the elite QB's. Jimmy used up his 50% connect rate on the play earlier that got called back because of OPI.
It was a 3 pt shot but it was a wide open 3 pt shot.

Deep ball, middle of the field, WR has a step. Yeah, not every QB hits that but 2/3 of the QBs in the league get it close enough for the WR to make a play. Overthrowing that by 5 yards is something you see in college.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He should never had been throwing the ball. I think we can both agree that the 49rs should have been running the ball and closing out this game.
Sure, but can we both agree JG needed to make some plays in second half too?

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both Shanahan and Jimmy deserve blame, but it's like 60% Shanahan, 30% Jimmy, and 10% defense.
I guess if we can be that specific

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing I want to give the 49ers credit for is I don't think any other team this year has really challenged the Chiefs linebackers horizontally like they have. Flat exposed the bailing wire the run D was built on. Chiefs have a nice platoon of DT's to clog up the run, but those linebackers just ain't shit when it comes down to it. Chiefs need to fix their LB's or they will run into a team- maybe the 49ers again- that can and will take advantage of it.
I think the Chargers tried to do the same thing late in the year. Almost all of the runs were to the outside. The Chargers just didnt have the same level of talent in their blocking scheme.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think the whole Chiefs back 7 was bailing wire, due to injuries or mediocre talent, but they got it done.

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, but can we both agree JG needed to make some plays in second half too?
I can agree with that. But once it was over halfway through the 4th quarter and the 49rs had the lead and the ball, that is running time. Especially when it is 2nd and 5. Run the ball. Maybe even hand it to Samuel. Either way, the clock keeps ticking.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the whole Chiefs back 7 was bailing wire, due to injuries or mediocre talent, but they got it done.
Somewhat agree. I think it needs more work in the draft as does the defense in general. Would just say any front 4 with Frank Clark, Chris Jones, and any version of Suggs is going to at least be pretty decent. You get decent run-stuffers in there like Nnadi and Saunders and you can make it work if you babysit the LB's and protect them from guards via scheme. The Chiefs got fake good against the run over the last 6-8 games by running over fronts and having the DL just win 1v1, but this isn't the 49er DL either and you can't hide those LB's forever.

Can't hide those LB's when you're moving side to side though is the thing with jet sweeps and disguised outside runs. Those dudes flat can't run anywhere but downhill.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can agree with that. But once it was over halfway through the 4th quarter and the 49rs had the lead and the ball, that is running time. Especially when it is 2nd and 5. Run the ball. Maybe even hand it to Samuel. Either way, the clock keeps ticking.
The clock keeps ticking if JG makes a throw as well.