• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jerry West describes Silver's Durant comments as "unfair"

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's absolutely nothing to admire in Silver's comments. The league has no business stepping in and doing anything to prevent a player who is not under contract from playing for whatever team he wants that will sign him.

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's absolutely nothing to admire in Silver's comments. The league has no business stepping in and doing anything to prevent a player who is not under contract from playing for whatever team he wants that will sign him.

To one his own I guess. I'm don't think that was the precedent Silver was looking to make. Pretty sure he was simply overlooking the flaws of the current CBA that would allow a recent MVP to sign with a team that had just won 73 games...Maybe the system will change, and maybe it won't, but the commission has the right to express his views and there's a reason he's the commissioner and you're not.

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Silver himself:

"My sense is that some of the player movement we just saw is not necessarily a function of market size," Silver said. "It's clearly, in the case of one particular player, a desire to be in a situation with a group of players who have already proven that they can win. And by the way, I don't mean to be so cryptic; in the case of Kevin Durant, I absolutely respect his decision, once he becomes a free agent, to make a choice that's available to him. In this case he operated 100 percent within the way of the system, and same with Golden State."

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/i...dam-silver-vows-to-fix-broken-nba-labor-deal/
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/i...dam-silver-vows-to-fix-broken-nba-labor-deal/
I fail to see any problem with what the commish had to say here...

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Silver himself:

"My sense is that some of the player movement we just saw is not necessarily a function of market size," Silver said. "It's clearly, in the case of one particular player, a desire to be in a situation with a group of players who have already proven that they can win. And by the way, I don't mean to be so cryptic; in the case of Kevin Durant, I absolutely respect his decision, once he becomes a free agent, to make a choice that's available to him. In this case he operated 100 percent within the way of the system, and same with Golden State."

In wake of Durant to Warriors, Adam Silver vows to fix broken NBA labor deal
I fail to see any problem with what the commish had to say here...

I do.

I am fine with media and former players expressing their opinions publicaly, but Silver needs to keep his close to the vest. Silver is saying that he respects Durant's decision immediately after taking a veiled shot at him. It isn't a good look for Silver or for the league. The owners clearly won the last lockout, but if there is another labor battle in the near future, I feel like the court of public opinion may be different this time.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NBA commissioner is supposed to stay behind the scenes for the most part. The commissioner is only supposed to be heard from when it's time to do their jobs (ie - suspensions, draft, etc...). Offering opinions about teams portrays him as biased, whether it's true or not is besides the point.

Personally, I think he's overrated as a commissioner. His one bright spot to me was getting rid of Donald Sterling and after he finally got outed as a racist, just about everyone knew what the end result was going to be.

And Dij, you're just upset because Stern suspended Ron Artest after he assaulted fans in Detroit. If Silver did that to someone on the Pacers, you'd turn on him as well. You weak kneed bitch.

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Dij, you're just upset because Stern suspended Ron Artest after he assaulted fans in Detroit. If Silver did that to someone on the Pacers, you'd turn on him as well. You weak kneed bitch.

Wrong. And knew this was coming. The problem with Mr. $tern is that he was in office too long that he expected things to be a certain way and after awhile would manipulate a given situation to get his way. And yes, he was probably a bit spoiled during the Jordan years.

Silver, on the other hand, understands that he's not going to get his way all the time and understands that it's a process. For example - The league's age limit.

And one other thing, Kevin Durant is an imperfect human being just like all of us and he's not above all criticism. He's being held to the exact same standard LeBron James is/was.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wrong. And knew this was coming. The problem with Mr. $tern is that he was in office too long that he expected things to be a certain way and after awhile would manipulate a given situation to get his way. And yes, he was probably a bit spoiled during the Jordan years.

Silver, on the other hand, understands that he's not going to get his way all the time and understands that it's a process. For example - The league's age limit.

And one other thing, Kevin Durant is an imperfect human being just like all of us and he's not above all criticism. He's being held to the exact same standard LeBron James is/was.

No, you aren't getting it.

Criticize KD all you want. I have no issue with that.

What I do take issue with is the the supposed impartial arbiter of the league criticizing a player's decision that was completely within the rules. He is out of line.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What I do take issue with is the the supposed impartial arbiter of the league criticizing a player's decision that was completely within the rules. He is out of line.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out. We don't know what Todd does for a living and we'll have to start using process of elimination. But a job that you can do at a functional level without common sense seems to fit here.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To one his own I guess. I'm don't think that was the precedent Silver was looking to make. Pretty sure he was simply overlooking the flaws of the current CBA that would allow a recent MVP to sign with a team that had just won 73 games...Maybe the system will change, and maybe it won't, but the commission has the right to express his views and there's a reason he's the commissioner and you're not.

The bold is exactly the problem. So what if a recent MVP wants to join a team that just won 73 games? He's a free agent, they had the cap space, he wanted to play there, they wanted to sign him and were able to do it within the salary cap. Nothing wrong with that at all. What's the point of free agency if a player can't play for whatever team he wants that's willing to sign him and able to create the cap space?

Also, as commissioner, what he says is a bit more than expressing his opinion since he actually has the power to at least attempt to force the very change he's talking about. If he does it, he's worse than Stern.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone remember how CP3 was supposed to go to the Lakers but the league stepped in and stopped it? That's probably why Stern hates his comments.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The W's played it right and actually had the cap space to pull it off. It is sour grapes. Who the hell should say where a FA should choose to make a living?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The W's played it right and actually had the cap space to pull it off. It is sour grapes. Who the hell should say where a FA should choose to make a living?

Exactly. I don't WANT KD on the Warriors. I'm a Lakers fan and hoping that within the next couple of seasons, they will at least be able to be competitive with the Warriors. Signing Durant just made that more difficult for them.

But that's where he wants to be, they wanted him, got him and I'm sure as heck not going to say it shouldn't be allowed.

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The bold is exactly the problem. So what if a recent MVP wants to join a team that just won 73 games?

He wouldn't have been able to do it without the massive spike in salary cap. That's the loophole in the system. Without the cap spike, Harrison Barnes signs his extension with GS and they would have no space to sign Durant.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He wouldn't have been able to do it without the massive spike in salary cap. That's the loophole in the system. Without the cap spike, Harrison Barnes signs his extension with GS and they would have no space to sign Durant.

Yet it did happen because of the new TV deal. They also have Curry on a premium given that he's still making about $10-$11 mil per. The stars aligned for the Warriors to pull this off, which trumps what Miami did with Lebron and Bosh being added to the Heat.

You could say this wouldn't have happened in a hypothetical scenario all you want. I don't deal with hypotheticals. I deal with reality. And the reality is - you're a sour puss.

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So when did he actually criticize him? By saying he doesn't think it's good for the league? Then why wasn't anyone on $tern's ass when he labled LeBron's handling of "The Decision" as poor?

The sour grapes are with KD and his fans that one could actually not agree with their hero's decision.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When @HurricaneDij39 is proven wrong, he rates your post Bullshit. The hilarity with this cum-faced, red-kneed kunt is astounding.

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yet it did happen because of the new TV deal. They also have Curry on a premium given that he's still making about $10-$11 mil per. The stars aligned for the Warriors to pull this off, which trumps what Miami did with Lebron and Bosh being added to the Heat.

You could say this wouldn't have happened in a hypothetical scenario all you want. I don't deal with hypotheticals. I deal with reality. And the reality is - you're a sour puss.

Sour about what exactly? I'm from the midwest and GS is in the opposite conference of my team. I'm not allowed support my league's commissioner when he has a valid point to be made?

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sour about what exactly? I'm from the midwest and GS is in the opposite conference of my team. I'm not allowed support my league's commissioner when he has a valid point to be made?

You're not supporting him. You're comparing him to Stern whom you clearly have an biased opinion against. But hey, you're apparently never wrong. So continue on your pointless crusade, bumble twat.