• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jeff Garcia question

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
First off, Garcia was a scam, the product of Terrell owens ability, and I would never even think to rate him ahead of a baller like Steve Young.

Steve>Montana is much more realistic, and IMO true. Steve got stuck with poor running games after Watters left, and Montana always had better defenses. Young was a much more polished passer, a more gifted athlete, and more prolific passer in terms of statistics. IMO a much more productive player.

It's the "rings" argument. I see that you are a Giants fan, so would you really say Cody Ross>Barry Bonds because Ross has a ring? Of course not.

First of all, I never mentioned rings. Second, I find few things to be more ridiculous than baseball and football comparisons. It isn't as bad as the comparison between passing yards and RBI that someone dropped on me here a few weeks ago but it is still ridiculous.

Steve Young and Joe Montana are a heck of a lot closer than Garcia and Young. :charlie: DUH!

I am a huge Steve Young fan but I am just fine with him being rated a bit behind Montana.

h-hour

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
First off, Garcia was a scam, the product of Terrell owens ability, and I would never even think to rate him ahead of a baller like Steve Young.

Steve>Montana is much more realistic, and IMO true. Steve got stuck with poor running games after Watters left, and Montana always had better defenses. Young was a much more polished passer, a more gifted athlete, and more prolific passer in terms of statistics. IMO a much more productive player.

It's the "rings" argument. I see that you are a Giants fan, so would you really say Cody Ross>Barry Bonds because Ross has a ring? Of course not.

For the two years after Watters left he had no running game. After that though, he had Hearst. Montana had no running game to work with in '81 or in '90 either. Yet he still won a title in 81 and had us in the championship game in 90..until it went to shit and he got injured. Young more productive? Yes. Better QB? NO

AdjustingRoutes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
First of all, I never mentioned rings. Second, I find few things to be more ridiculous than baseball and football comparisons. It isn't as bad as the comparison between passing yards and RBI that someone dropped on me here a few weeks ago but it is still ridiculous.

Steve Young and Joe Montana are a heck of a lot closer than Garcia and Young. :charlie: DUH!

I am a huge Steve Young fan but I am just fine with him being rated a bit behind Montana.

The only argument to be made for Montana over Young is the rings argument, because Steve blows him out of the water in every other category.

And also, comparing passing yards to RBI is NOT even in the same district as comparing rings from baseball to football. WTF? The rings argument holds true in every sport. It's a silly argument when it's a team game, just like it's silly to say Barry bonds was overrated because he never won a ring. Why? BECAUSE IT'S A TEAM GAME.

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The only argument to be made for Montana over Young is the rings argument, because Steve blows him out of the water in every other category.

And also, comparing passing yards to RBI is NOT even in the same district as comparing rings from baseball to football. WTF? The rings argument holds true in every sport. It's a silly argument when it's a team game, just like it's silly to say Barry bonds was overrated because he never won a ring. Why? BECAUSE IT'S A TEAM GAME.

I never used the rings argument.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the two years after Watters left he had no running game. After that though, he had Hearst. Montana had no running game to work with in '81 or in '90 either. Yet he still won a title in 81 and had us in the championship game in 90..until it went to shit and he got injured. Young more productive? Yes. Better QB? NO

no running game in 90? huh

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He had Hearst for two years with the 2nd year ending in injury then "it went to shit."

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Originally Posted by h-hour View Post
If Dexter Carter being the teams leading rusher with 460 yards is your idea of a good running game then thats fine with me.

Look at combined yardage that year instead of cherry picking. Craig also had 430. Rathman had 318. Sydney had 166. Add that to the 460 for Carter and it's not too shabby. It failed in the playoffs like Young would find out during his career.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had Hearst for two years with the 2nd year ending in injury then "it went to shit."

I'd say both years went to shit with a Hearst injury. Hearst missed the the last 3 games of the 1997 regular season, the first playoff game, and came back for that Packers game. Sure, Hearst was healthy for the last game, but a month away with no practice time definitely isn't a positive for a running game.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Originally Posted by h-hour View Post
If Dexter Carter being the teams leading rusher with 460 yards is your idea of a good running game then thats fine with me.

Look at combined yardage that year instead of cherry picking. Craig also had 430. Rathman had 318. Sydney had 166. Add that to the 460 for Carter and it's not too shabby. It failed in the playoffs like Young would find out during his career.

montana had roger craig for all but the 1st championship. montana had 3 years of 1 and done in the playoffs. young had a powerful team that had it's talent stripped away at key positions.

look at brady, he's been better than ever since he last one a championship. the talent of the team around him isn't as good overal. without the injuries, i think young would have beaten atlanta and ended up with his 2nd super bowl, but we'll never know what could have been.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
First off, Garcia was a scam, the product of Terrell owens ability

Garcia was no HOFer like Young, but he wasn't a "scam."