• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jaylon Smith

matthstl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought I post this already but here goes one more time. I am very concern with the play of Jaylon Smith were I question if he is hurt or is there something else going on. His play from last two games is very concerning to me. His aggressive style is gone in my view. Two times on ASU drive after we reduce the score to 3. Jaylon on the ASU drive had two chances to drive into RB for a loss and he pulled up. Both times RB just ran right by him. This was even pick up by the announcer so I know I am not the only one seeing this.

I do understand the point of holding your gap but when your gap is wide open make the play.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought I heard Spielman ragging on Redfield for pulling up instead of hitting the RB out of bounds, not Smith?

matthstl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Redfield miss the tackle Smith could have hit him for a loss and pulled up but you might be right. He ragged on him before that play I know that for sure.

NDHoosier101

Reigning "Last to post" Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maxfield and Smith had horrible games. Second straight for Smith, maybe the added responsibility is making him think too much and hesitate. :noidea:

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smith may well be nursing an injury we don't know about. We ragged on Farley last year and it turns out, he was playing hurt most of the year. That said, the play you all seem to be talking about, I don't think he pulled up, he was trying to force the runner outside. He was over-pursuing a little bit and if the RB made his cut, he would have gone right behind Jaylon and possibly for a much bigger gain. I think he did what he was supposed to do and forced the play to the sideline (to perserve the clock too). Redfield whiffed, took a bad angle, or just didn't go after him, which is uncharacteristic. Redfield's a pretty aggressive guy.

Not sure if one or both of them were injured, but on the specific play in question, Redfield should have cleaned that up. Also, I wouldn't rate Jaylon's performance against Navy as poor. They were running away from him most of the night. I think all in all, for what his assignments were, he did a pretty good job. He was the only one pursuing from the backside when plays broke down, like when Nyles Morgan missed the hole on the one TD run.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Smith has played fine. There is a lot of more on him now that he is the leader on D.

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Overall Smith has been super, he's young and bound to have a bad game once in awhile. I honestly think he's worlds ahead of what Teo was at the time. I think he's a much better athlete and reached a much higher level of play quicker. I'm certain losing the Joe Schmidt has put more pressure on the entire linebacking corps.

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought I heard Spielman ragging on Redfield for pulling up instead of hitting the RB out of bounds, not Smith?

He was criticizing Redfield on that play for not making a big hit on the guy when he had the opportunity. He was right about what he said but when I first heard it I had to stop and do a double take if I heard him right. I think that's just the old player coming out in him. Spielman was a pretty good player back in the day.