• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jay Z is such an imbecile

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can you at least then give him - Smarter than your average rapper? Heck, following this logic train, he is smarter than all of the ex jocks ( most of who have college degrees ) who had and made millions, only to piss them all away.

I'm no Jay Z fan by the way. More of a stickler for word usage.

I can give him that.

But that is more of a reflection of the degree of collective intelligence I believe most pro athletes and rappers to have :lol:

David_son

I'm so confused
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well who is to say how much is true during the negotiation process. JayZ could have asked for more money they took a couple hour break and then come back and hammer out the details. Then something was leaked to the press and it turned into something its not....

octagondd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can you at least then give him - Smarter than your average rapper? Heck, following this logic train, he is smarter than all of the ex jocks ( most of who have college degrees ) who had and made millions, only to piss them all away.

I'm no Jay Z fan by the way. More of a stickler for word usage.

I am confident those college degrees are only pieces of paper with little to no actual education behind them.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mistakenly thought that Howie completely shut down negotiations when Jay-Z asked for the 10 year/$252 million.

Now that we know that wasn't the case, seems that Jay-Z did an excellent job, and read the situation correctly. Tried to match the a-rod contract, and knew that the M's were so desperate, they wouldn't completely shut things down, but give his client $15 million more for a 10th year....which we all pretty much know he probably won't be playing anyway at 41.

Seems like a pretty savvy agent to me.

It's what, the 4th biggest contract in MLB history?

I did not go too in depth in this on my earlier posts but as I mentioned, Jay-Z was accompanied by an actual talent agent.

CAA - Creative Artist Agency is one of the most powerful talent agencies in the world. Check out some of their Hollywood clients. Jay-Z's "agency" has a partnership with CAA. So whichever agent CAA sent to accompany Jay-Z and Robinson Cano obviously had to be top notch.

People mistakenly believe that Jay-Z is the agent. I get the impression he is more of a figurehead. Although this contradicts another one of my posts about Jay-Z I believe it is a great idea. Jay-Z's starpower (especially among pro athletes) helps draw more athletes to the agency, and everyone gets a cut. Jay-Z gets to play Ari Gold while CAA handles the contracts and actual negotiations behind the scenes.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am confident those college degrees are only pieces of paper with little to no actual education behind them.

Most college football fans would be disgusted if they knew what actually goes on behind the scenes of their favorite football program.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did not go too in depth in this on my earlier posts but as I mentioned, Jay-Z was accompanied by an actual talent agent.

CAA - Creative Artist Agency is one of the most powerful talent agencies in the world. Check out some of their Hollywood clients. Jay-Z's "agency" has a partnership with CAA. So whichever agent CAA sent to accompany Jay-Z and Robinson Cano obviously had to be top notch.

People mistakenly believe that Jay-Z is the agent. I get the impression he is more of a figurehead. Although this contradicts another one of my posts about Jay-Z I believe it is a great idea. Jay-Z's starpower (especially among pro athletes) helps draw more athletes to the agency, and everyone gets a cut. Jay-Z gets to play Ari Gold while CAA handles the contracts and actual negotiations behind the scenes.

Ahhh, that makes a lot of sense. Thanks.

I guess it shows that Cano hired a totally decent team, then, with jayz as the figurehead.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LMAO Carry on with your circle jerk, fellas! I'm out.

yeah, if you're not capable of rational discussion, it's best that you leave.

nobody will miss you.

toodlez.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2013 winner of "Smartest man on Sportshoopla" competition

If you can, can you forward me an invite to the 2014 event. I would love to give that a go.

:suds:

I've already got it won 10 years in advance. That is how awesome I am.

:laugh3:

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ahhh, that makes a lot of sense. Thanks.

I guess it shows that Cano hired a totally decent team, then, with jayz as the figurehead.

I know that CAA is partnered with Roc-Nation which would be Jay-Z's side.

The rest is sort of just connecting the dots. I heard that the CAA had an agent at the negotiations, so I have to assume that Jay-Z and Roc-Nation provide the coolness factor while CAA handles things behind the scenes. CAA represents just about every major Hollywood star you can imagine. Check out their client list sometime, I never knew that the agency business in Hollywood was so monopolized. I always imagined it was distributed a bit more between different agencies.

Figured I would clarify that before someone says I'm making things up again LOL.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Curious how excited M's fans would be, but they seem hung up on Jay-Z. Ya'll should be celebrating. I'm not a big M's fan but I hate the Yankees and LOVE that Seattle snatched their guy. Go M's!

Jay-Z probably gets a few more clients after this one. Negotiations take a long time. Mr. Carter scored a big one here.

Good point lol.

Reason for this thread was because when I posted it, word was negotiations had come to a halt due to Jay-Z's demand of $252m.

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Err...not sure Jay is actively participating in any of the sports contract negotiations...it's a partnership with CAA.

My understanding is that ROC NATION handles all of the off-field minutae like endorsements, public relations, etc. CAA handles all of the contractual negotiations related to sports performance.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Err...not sure Jay is actively participating in any of the sports contract negotiations...it's a partnership with CAA.

My understanding is that ROC NATION handles all of the off-field minutae like endorsements, public relations, etc. CAA handles all of the contractual negotiations related to sports performance.

That said, Crasnick notes that some in the industry believe that Jay Z was just a "figurehead" for a Cano management team that also included CAA's Brodie Van Wagenen

Just saw that on MLBTR. Crasnick must be following my posts...

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That said, Crasnick notes that some in the industry believe that Jay Z was just a "figurehead" for a Cano management team that also included CAA's Brodie Van Wagenen

Just saw that on MLBTR. Crasnick must be following my posts...

Knowing his...background...I don't doubt he may posture from time to time like he is the one "getting things done". But if any athlete actually has him in a boardroom calling shots...:L

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It sounds like the whole process is having Jay Z butter them up to get them on board and the rest of the team are the ones that do the heavy lifting. I don't think Jay Z is dumb and it would be stupid for him to think he could come in and negotiating complex, 9 figure deals in a business he doesn't know anything about. They might be a little more aggressive than they'd like to be because of his image, but Cano wanted 10 years and after the supposed huffing and puffing on our end we were quickly back at the table giving Cano what he wanted. Cano was exactly what he said he was, a free agent willing to go to the highest bidder. I don't have a problem with it unless he checks out because he got the fat payday he was looking for all of his life.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think the Mariners did a good job for the next 5 years but after that I am not so sure. These long term deals has disaster written all over them.... Either way the Mariners just got a lot better

As far as Jay Z being an idiot... Probably but let's think about it... Cano was his first big name client (no?), he is just trying to make a name for himself in the sports agency world like Boras.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This thread is just hilarious. How about you just say I hate Jay-Z and would never give him credit for anything? I mean you go from saying that he fucked up the negotiations to saying he was just a figure head. Which is it? I get the hate. I hate Jay-Z too. You can say he's not that smart, that he didn't earn his money or whatever but one thing is for sure, the man is a GREAT salesman. He's been selling for about 20 years that he is an all-time great rapper if not the greatest when he's awful. He's made out to be a fashion icon when it seems he just rode Damon Dash's coat tails with Roc-A-Wear. So I get it. But at the end of the day he (his company) got some moron to pay a guy who's a great player but who is not transcendent, who will not necessarily put butts in the seats, who doesn't really "move the needle" the 4th richest contract in the sport's history. The Ms will be lucky if they get 5 great years out of Cano and then he's likely going to decline greatly and the Ms will still be on the hook for half the contract. the massive contract. And it's baseball so he'll get that entire contract paid. That is an awful contract for the Mariners IMO and I have a feeling 5 years from now you'll be calling your GM the idiot, not Jay-Z.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think the Mariners did a good job for the next 5 years but after that I am not so sure. These long term deals has disaster written all over them.... Either way the Mariners just got a lot better

As far as Jay Z being an idiot... Probably but let's think about it... Cano was his first big name client (no?), he is just trying to make a name for himself in the sports agency world like Boras.

Exactly! No player should get a 10 year contract. There are too many risks with a contract that long. If he were 21 and looked to have his entire career ahead of him he should not have been signed for 10 years. But he's not, he's 31 and at 39, 40, 41 this guy will still be making $24 mil a year? That's an awful deal!!

Steelboy84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This thread is just hilarious. How about you just say I hate Jay-Z and would never give him credit for anything? I mean you go from saying that he fucked up the negotiations to saying he was just a figure head. Which is it? I get the hate. I hate Jay-Z too. You can say he's not that smart, that he didn't earn his money or whatever but one thing is for sure, the man is a GREAT salesman. He's been selling for about 20 years that he is an all-time great rapper if not the greatest when he's awful. He's made out to be a fashion icon when it seems he just rode Damon Dash's coat tails with Roc-A-Wear. So I get it. But at the end of the day he (his company) got some moron to pay a guy who's a great player but who is not transcendent, who will not necessarily put butts in the seats, who doesn't really "move the needle" the 4th richest contract in the sport's history. The Ms will be lucky if they get 5 great years out of Cano and then he's likely going to decline greatly and the Ms will still be on the hook for half the contract. the massive contract. And it's baseball so he'll get that entire contract paid. That is an awful contract for the Mariners IMO and I have a feeling 5 years from now you'll be calling your GM the idiot, not Jay-Z.

:clap:

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well the initial report was that Cano came here to sign a 9 year deal then sat down and demanded 10 years. If that's the case then it's unprofessional as fuck. Even though we did get him, whoever came up with the idea to pull that kind of stunt is an idiot who's handling things like an amateur, which would be Jay Z. The deal ended up happening but it doesn't give the agency a very good reputation. It doesn't matter for a player like Cano who's going to get paid, but for non-superstars it could have an impact because teams aren't going to want to work with them. If the rumors weren't true and they went to sign the contract they were expected to sign then it's all a moot point. And please forgive the fans for the knee-jerk reaction when it started to look like this was another free agent jerking us around to get a better deal out of the team he really wanted to play for. I still think that Cano was hoping the Yankees were going to get on the phone at the last second and offering something close to what we were offering.

But whatever. Cano's here now and hopefully he earns his money.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It could have been worse. If Suge Knight was his agent then Z probably would have announced a 10 year, 500 million dollar deal with two black eyes.