• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jay Z is such an imbecile

johnfree63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the initial report was that Cano came here to sign a 9 year deal then sat down and demanded 10 years. If that's the case then it's unprofessional as fuck. Even though we did get him, whoever came up with the idea to pull that kind of stunt is an idiot who's handling things like an amateur, which would be Jay Z. The deal ended up happening but it doesn't give the agency a very good reputation. It doesn't matter for a player like Cano who's going to get paid, but for non-superstars it could have an impact because teams aren't going to want to work with them. If the rumors weren't true and they went to sign the contract they were expected to sign then it's all a moot point. And please forgive the fans for the knee-jerk reaction when it started to look like this was another free agent jerking us around to get a better deal out of the team he really wanted to play for. I still think that Cano was hoping the Yankees were going to get on the phone at the last second and offering something close to what we were offering.

But whatever. Cano's here now and hopefully he earns his money.

That's not unprofessional, it's just called negotiation. The unprofessional part of the original report was Howard Lincoln getting his panties in a bunch, exploding and ending the meeting.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not unprofessional, it's just called negotiation. The unprofessional part of the original report was Howard Lincoln getting his panties in a bunch, exploding and ending the meeting.

It sounds like there was some kind of verbal agreement (he flew out here for gods sake) and then reneged. That's unprofessional as hell. It's basically making a verbal agreement on a job offer and then backing out.

johnfree63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It sounds like there was some kind of verbal agreement (he flew out here for gods sake) and then reneged. That's unprofessional as hell. It's basically making a verbal agreement on a job offer and then backing out.

All it sounded like was Jay-Z's CAA hired gun out negotiated Jack Z and Howard Lincoln, and got the most for his client. The only unprofessional part was Lincoln acting like a 2 year old.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All it sounded like was Jay-Z's CAA hired gun out negotiated Jack Z and Howard Lincoln, and got the most for his client. The only unprofessional part was Lincoln acting like a 2 year old.

What if they said no and left Cano hanging? Then it's back to the drawing board. It's unprofessional as fuck to pull a stunt like that if they did.

johnfree63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What if they said no and left Cano hanging? Then it's back to the drawing board. It's unprofessional as fuck to pull a stunt like that if they did.

I don't see the stunt. Until the contract is signed it's a negotiation. Seattle could have said "no we're not going to give a 10th year" but they didn't. They were desperate and Cano's people knew it.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see the stunt. Until the contract is signed it's a negotiation. Seattle could have said "no we're not going to give a 10th year" but they didn't. They were desperate and Cano's people knew it.

And that's where you're wrong. Verbal agreements are legally binding. The reason that they're not disputed as much as they are is because it's hard to prove. And it's the employee that would probably be the one that disputes it because he or she is the one that put in notice expecting it's a done deal.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This thread is just hilarious. How about you just say I hate Jay-Z and would never give him credit for anything? I mean you go from saying that he fucked up the negotiations to saying he was just a figure head. Which is it? I get the hate. I hate Jay-Z too. You can say he's not that smart, that he didn't earn his money or whatever but one thing is for sure, the man is a GREAT salesman. He's been selling for about 20 years that he is an all-time great rapper if not the greatest when he's awful. He's made out to be a fashion icon when it seems he just rode Damon Dash's coat tails with Roc-A-Wear. So I get it. But at the end of the day he (his company) got some moron to pay a guy who's a great player but who is not transcendent, who will not necessarily put butts in the seats, who doesn't really "move the needle" the 4th richest contract in the sport's history. The Ms will be lucky if they get 5 great years out of Cano and then he's likely going to decline greatly and the Ms will still be on the hook for half the contract. the massive contract. And it's baseball so he'll get that entire contract paid. That is an awful contract for the Mariners IMO and I have a feeling 5 years from now you'll be calling your GM the idiot, not Jay-Z.

Jay-Z was nothing more than a meddling figure head who nearly caused negotiations to break down.

At the time I posted this thread word was that the negotiations between Cano's party and the Mariners had ceased and a deal was very unlikely.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For beginning from such an imbecilic premise, this thread ended up producing some surprisingly solid posts!

DunceKaep

Trolling 45, it's EASY.
Hoopla Cash
$ 663.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's get it straight fellows.
Although we have NO ability to become an agent.
We ALL could have gotten Cano a $200 million contract, regardless.

Example, Cano calls me, no reason why, but he does, I COULD manage a deal above 200mil. EASY,
I have no legal expertise, no law background.

These agents GET TOO MUCH CREDIT.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's get it straight fellows.
Although we have NO ability to become an agent.
We ALL could have gotten Cano a $200 million contract, regardless.

Example, Cano calls me, no reason why, but he does, I COULD manage a deal above 200mil. EASY,
I have no legal expertise, no law background.

These agents GET TOO MUCH CREDIT.

I think Cano gets a $200m deal from the Mariners but I'm not sure he gets it from any other team. The Mariners were desperate and paid a premium to get him to Seattle.

Having graduated from law school and experienced first hand the vigor of a lot of those classes is one of the main reasons why I refuse to believe Jay-Z handled these negotiations without any experience or education. There is a lot more that goes into these negotiations than we realize.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Cano gets a $200m deal from the Mariners but I'm not sure he gets it from any other team.

You are correct.

If any team that could afford him would've been willing, he would've signed with them instead of the Mariners. It's the only reason Cano would come here.

This isn't difficult.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are correct.

If any team that could afford him would've been willing, he would've signed with them instead of the Mariners. It's the only reason Cano would come here.

This isn't difficult.

It hurts to say but it is the truth.

DunceKaep

Trolling 45, it's EASY.
Hoopla Cash
$ 663.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that JZ has a staff of experts and JZ is just the figurehead for contract talk.

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he talked the top FA with going with him as an Agent and then got his 5 percent or whatever...he might have cost Cano some money this year but he made millions....

ehhhh genius