• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jason Marquis breaks shin

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
New York Mets vs. Arizona Diamondbacks - Recap - August 14, 2011 - ESPN

"PHOENIX -- Jason Marquis took a stinging line drive off his shin and stayed in the game, trying to tough it out.

One inning later, the Arizona starter tumbled to the ground while throwing a pitch and had to come out after all.

After Justin Upton homered to help the Diamondbacks beat the New York Mets 5-3 Sunday, manager Kirk Gibson said Marquis would be out for four to six weeks.

"I was put on a good position coming over here," said Marquis, acquired in a July 30 trade from Washington. "I finally was getting the results I had wanted to, so to finish on this note. Hopefully it's not the end."

Angel Pagan's line drive went off Marquis' right shin with two outs in the third. An inning later, Marquis hit Josh Thole with a pitch and dropped to the ground after his delivery, clutching his right shin.

"I thought it was just tightness from a bruise," Marquis said. "The pain was enough I could deal with to stay out there. I just felt something pop and (team physician Dr. Michael Lee) said it completed the break."

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
New York Mets vs. Arizona Diamondbacks - Recap - August 14, 2011 - ESPN

"PHOENIX -- Jason Marquis took a stinging line drive off his shin and stayed in the game, trying to tough it out.

One inning later, the Arizona starter tumbled to the ground while throwing a pitch and had to come out after all.

After Justin Upton homered to help the Diamondbacks beat the New York Mets 5-3 Sunday, manager Kirk Gibson said Marquis would be out for four to six weeks.

"I was put on a good position coming over here," said Marquis, acquired in a July 30 trade from Washington. "I finally was getting the results I had wanted to, so to finish on this note. Hopefully it's not the end."

Angel Pagan's line drive went off Marquis' right shin with two outs in the third. An inning later, Marquis hit Josh Thole with a pitch and dropped to the ground after his delivery, clutching his right shin.

"I thought it was just tightness from a bruise," Marquis said. "The pain was enough I could deal with to stay out there. I just felt something pop and (team physician Dr. Michael Lee) said it completed the break."

Yikes.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DBacks in full spin mode on their board -- "he wasn't that good anyway, we didn't give up a real prospect for him, Miley is a good lefty, etc. etc. etc."

I think this hurts their weakness. It'd be like us losing Keppinger.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point, tzill.

Injuries are the key to every season...which is why a season where we were lead pipe cinches to win our division is now a dogfight.

Now we need Upton to severely pull his hamstring.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point, tzill.

Injuries are the key to every season...which is why a season where we were lead pipe cinches to win our division is now a dogfight.

Now we need Upton to severely pull his hamstring.

They already lost their Posey in Drew, so if they were to lose Upton, that would be a bigger blow to them than us losing Franchez. That would be like us losing Panda.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They already lost their Posey in Drew, so if they were to lose Upton, that would be a bigger blow to them than us losing Franchez. That would be like us losing Panda.

Excellent! Maybe he'll pull both hammies!

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Starters that have cleared waivers:

# Carlos Zambrano, Cubs - Zambrano cleared waivers prior to being placed on the disqualified list. He has a short fuse, lousy stats, and over $22MM remaining on his contract through next year.

# Chris Capuano, Mets - Capuano owns a 3.74 SIERA as of August 14th and earns only $1.5MM plus incentives, so it's hard to see why a few teams didn't place claims.

# Bruce Chen, Royals - Chen has his moments, but it's not surprising to see him clear waivers.

# Rodrigo Lopez, Cubs - Same goes for Lopez.

# Jason Vargas, Mariners - Like many of the starters here, Vargas' fastball wouldn't break a window. But he has less than a million bucks left on his contract this year and is under team control through 2013. He'd fit nicely at the back end of several rotations.

# Chien-Ming Wang, Nationals - His three starts this season were his first in over two years, so it's understandable that contenders wouldn't jump to claim him.

# Tom Gorzelanny, Nationals - Booted to the bullpen last month, the 29-year-old flyballing southpaw has posted strong strikeout rates in recent years but can't hold a rotation job.

# Ted Lilly, Dodgers - He always has strong strikeout-to-walk numbers, but is prone to the longball. With over 82% of his $33MM contract remaining ($27MM+), it's no surprise he cleared waivers.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If I were the Dbacks, I'd target Jason Vargas. Just the type of pitcher that gives the Giants trouble, and changing leagues might give him a leg up once around the big circuit.

the_broom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

IDK...I liken the 'Snakes losing Drew more to us losing Sanchez. Posey was just so valuable to this team, he's one of the guys that was more than the combination of his stats...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IDK...I liken the 'Snakes losing Drew more to us losing Sanchez. Posey was just so valuable to this team, he's one of the guys that was more than the combination of his stats...

Posey is quite possibly THE most important player to his team in all of baseball, granted. When you factor in his bat (on a team with NO offense) AND his defensive ability AND his ability to work with the most filthy pitcher in the game, no one comes close.

But when you take a stud like Drew, and replace him with Cody Eff'n Ransom, that is WAY more painful than what we experienced with Sanchez (not discounting the Sanchez loss in any regard).

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3