• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jahvid Best

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know we got Reggie Bush in FA. Seriously though. When will the Lions know anything definitive?

The move to get Bush should answer that question....Best still hasn't retired and it is a concussion not 4 ligaments torn in a knee.....

Something isn't right here. It seems no one wants to ask, Allen Park doesn't want to talk about it, but yet there's a very talented running back just sitting there with over a year and half without football.......

It doesn't add up....Symptoms not fade away? Not feeling good? Still Dizzy? What's the deal?

No news.......Am I the only one that hasn't given up on this guy?.......I sure as hell would hate to release him just to watch him say " Guess what guys I'm cured" and sign a big contract.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with you muz. I hold out a little hope that Best isn't done and we'll get to watch him again. Realistically though the guy will never be right and I'm not sure why he hasn't just retired already. Even though I do hold on to that little bit of hope that he'll play again I probably hope more that he never comes back. It's not worth it!!

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the NFL as well as Detroit does not want to take a chance with him playing again. The public relations nightmare for the NFL if he is eating baby food in a assistant care facility before he is 30 is a possibility if he keeps taking concussions.

As for not just throwing in the towel it could be financial as well as medical benefits. I am guessing we have seen the last of Best.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Possibly, but it's his life and his finances....The NFL can't stop him from playing because they are afraid of bad press, that's a lawsuit right there....If he wants to play a team will have him on the roster. Might as well be the Lions.

lionscanWIN

The Morenci Mauler
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my thing is that if he has not been cleared by october it is over. that is two years. i will always hold the hope but it is over. really if he is not cleared by training camp the chances are dead.

but hey as long as he wants to keep at it and his cap does not count against us on the IR let him stay for that last chance

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Muzz I am thinking the NFL has to sign off on him and his doctors results. If not the NFL then the Lions surely. I still think Detroit has moved on and does not want his long term health on their watch.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm no lawyer, but was a cop for 10 years so I know the process a tad bit. If he wants to play and is under contract, he will have no problems finding a doctor that backs his view therefore the NFL wouldn't (not couldnt) refute it.

VulturesRule

Nothing To See Here
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
May not be so simple as finding one doc in agreement that he is good to go. The Lions and the NFL have a vested interest in their product (sports entertainment) and have a fiduciary responsibility to the health of employees. They, too, can have experts.

I think both sides are trying. If nothing else, they may have a goal of keeping him on until he qualifies for a retirement. Hard to believe that is the case, but may have been an implied agreement when they first started negotiating with Best given his history and high risk status going into the draft.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
May not be so simple as finding one doc in agreement that he is good to go. The Lions and the NFL have a vested interest in their product (sports entertainment) and have a fiduciary responsibility to the health of employees. They, too, can have experts.

I think both sides are trying. If nothing else, they may have a goal of keeping him on until he qualifies for a retirement. Hard to believe that is the case, but may have been an implied agreement when they first started negotiating with Best given his history and high risk status going into the draft.

I doubt that's the case....He did have prior concussions in college, but the one or two causing him to stay out for over a year and half came after the contract.......The Lions did trade up to get him, not like he went begging the Lions, so I doubt that is in the contract.....

The problem becomes with the next contract if he wants to play. That's where the NFL will have a problem.....Goddell and the NFL hate bad press.....If Jahvid said I want to play and they won't let me, The NFL will have a huge problem.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I could be wrong but it's my understanding that 3 years get's you retirement benefits. At least that's what people said last year when we didn't cut him loose.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt that's the case....He did have prior concussions in college, but the one or two causing him to stay out for over a year and half came after the contract.......The Lions did trade up to get him, not like he went begging the Lions, so I doubt that is in the contract.....

The problem becomes with the next contract if he wants to play. That's where the NFL will have a problem.....Goddell and the NFL hate bad press.....If Jahvid said I want to play and they won't let me, The NFL will have a huge problem.
If Best is cleared to play he will be stupid enough to play and the Lions will be stupid enough to let him.

K.J.Ester

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since nobody knows the truth, all we can do is come up with our own conspiracy theories. So here is mine....lol

After taking a concussion as a Lion, the Lions brought him back in too soon. They knew he wasnt ready but believed it was only a chance he would take the right hit again to make things worse. THey gambled because they knew his speed threat was important to them getting wins. They gambled and lost.

Now if they just let him go, and forced him to retire, he would open up to the media about that and cause pure chaos for the Lions. Even the NFL would come down hard on them for that to saave their own hide in the process. So they hold on to him. Let him finish his contract as well as become qualified for full retirement. They cant let the NFL know that, so they dont let anyone know. They continue to pretend that there is hope of him playing again and that is why he continues to be a part of the team every year.

So there is my theory and as wild as it may seem, I also believe it is ciompletely plausible. lol

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since nobody knows the truth, all we can do is come up with our own conspiracy theories. So here is mine....lol

After taking a concussion as a Lion, the Lions brought him back in too soon. They knew he wasnt ready but believed it was only a chance he would take the right hit again to make things worse. THey gambled because they knew his speed threat was important to them getting wins. They gambled and lost.

Now if they just let him go, and forced him to retire, he would open up to the media about that and cause pure chaos for the Lions. Even the NFL would come down hard on them for that to saave their own hide in the process. So they hold on to him. Let him finish his contract as well as become qualified for full retirement. They cant let the NFL know that, so they dont let anyone know. They continue to pretend that there is hope of him playing again and that is why he continues to be a part of the team every year.

So there is my theory and as wild as it may seem, I also believe it is ciompletely plausible. lol

Theres nothing crazy there......I have a female friend (butch) that plays in a football league (semi pro girl league) fun to watch......She suffered a conconssion playing last week and will be driving a bus a week later....She has been evaluated and medically cleared to drive after a week....Funny How Jahvids takes more then 2 years......

I know the game...."the brain is the brain and everyone is different, every concussion is different" blah blah....A bus driver can go back to work driving your kids to school but a football player can't play.....Bullshit.....Follow the money. It's all about lawsuits.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Might as well log in with my two cents. It is my belief that a concussion will fully heal just like any other injury. Problem is, it takes much longer. I agree with Grail that the Lions didn't let it heal completely when they let Best come back. As with any injury, if you don't let it heal properly before playing, risk of re-injury increases (see Gronk). Repetitive Concussion Syndrome can take up to two and a half years to fully heal. Once the concussions are allowed to fully heal, it's like any other injury, it would be as if the person had never had a concussion. Doesn't mean he couldn't get another one, but the chances would be the same as for someone who hasn't had one.

Whether Best will ever play again is anyone's guess. I think he will. The question will be whether he's lost anything. I hear he continues to work out and stay in shape, but it isn't the same as live game action, or even practice.

Coach_Ed_LPW

Coach of the Year
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best's had 2 SEVERE concussions...with unconsciousness. He is a prime candidate to not play again.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Theres nothing crazy there......I have a female friend (butch) that plays in a football league (semi pro girl league) fun to watch......She suffered a conconssion playing last week and will be driving a bus a week later....She has been evaluated and medically cleared to drive after a week....Funny How Jahvids takes more then 2 years......

I know the game...."the brain is the brain and everyone is different, every concussion is different" blah blah....A bus driver can go back to work driving your kids to school but a football player can't play.....Bullshit.....Follow the money. It's all about lawsuits.

Did you just compare driving a bus to playing a contact sport in the context of head injuries :wtf2:

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure I compared a concussion with a concussion then going back to work.

K.J.Ester

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Muzzer, Im curious what team your friend plays on. My step-daughter plays what she calls "Professional Women's Football" for the Detroit Dark Angels. Same league? Team?

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Muzzer, Im curious what team your friend plays on. My step-daughter plays what she calls "Professional Women's Football" for the Detroit Dark Angels. Same league? Team?

I'll ask, They played last week in Nashville against a team from Ohio so it's Possible.....

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know a few girls on the team, and they ain't nothing to be messed with......I'll try and get more info for ya K.J.....What was your cbs name again?