• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jahan traded to Eagles

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It depends on how you do it . Sacrificing the future and making it impossible to improve later for instant gratification here and now is bad business. When you come out with the prediction thread I will delve into what kind of team we have
I'm less concerned about HOW I'd do than WHY I'm doing it, so here's why ..
QBs get paid exorbitant amounts of money these days and Jayden Daniels, barring a QB cap, will command the going top rate plus a dollar in year 4 (forget the 5th year option). This means a slow 2-3-year rebuild leaves the SB window on his rookie deal at 1-2 instead of maxing out at 3-4 years. You can do a lot more with your roster when your star QB is still on his rookie deal. (Btw; even longer for you exercise that fifth year option folk)

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm less concerned about HOW I'd do than WHY I'm doing it, so here's why ..
QBs get paid exorbitant amounts of money these days and Jayden Daniels, barring a QB cap, will command the going top rate plus a dollar in year 4 (forget the 5th year option). This means a slow 2-3-year rebuild leaves the SB window on his rookie deal at 1-2 instead of maxing out at 3-4 years. You can do a lot more with your roster when your star QB is still on his rookie deal. (Btw; even longer for you exercise that fifth year option folk)
Then you build a team with a ten year window aka the chiefs

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then you build a team with a ten year window aka the chiefs
The rookie deal only lasts 4-5 years, and of late, these QBs are getting new deals after their 4th year ( Lamar Jackson excepted)
A ten year window like they're doing with Mahomes pre-supposes a lot of things and leading those suppositions is a QB who's willing to take a team friendly extension.

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Hoopla Cash
$ 28,766.11
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this indicates they know this season is a rebuilding year.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rookie deal only lasts 4-5 years, and of late, these QBs are getting new deals after their 4th year ( Lamar Jackson excepted)
A ten year window like they're doing with Mahomes pre-supposes a lot of things and leading those suppositions is a QB who's willing to take a team friendly extension.
The qb doesn’t have to take a team friendly deal , the key is acquiring draft picks and drafting well , and picking your spots in FA .

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The qb doesn’t have to take a team friendly deal , the key is acquiring draft picks and drafting well , and picking your spots in FA .
We have two examples on how this works, Kansas City and Baltimore. In the Kansas City example, you'd have to have that Uber exceptional talent at QB. While I have a lot of confidence in JD, it's a an enormously high bar to see him as another league-wide generational talent. Hell, he might end up being a first ballot HOFer, but even that doesn't put him in the Mahomes category.
Using the Baltimore model, you're gonna need a top of the line defense, a massive OL top 15 running backs, an all world TE, and a whole Lotta hoping a WR.
There's a third model and it's Houston who now has at minimum a 3 year window.

Last edited:

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have two examples on how this works, Kansas City and Baltimore. In the Kansas City example, you'd have to have that Uber exceptional talent at QB. While I have a lot of confidence in JD, it's a an enormously high bar to see him as another league-wide generational talent. Hell, he might end up being a first ballot HOFer, but even that doesn't put him in the Mahomes category.
Using the Baltimore model, you're gonna need a top of the line defense, a massive OL top 15 running backs, an all world TE, and a whole Lotta hoping a WR.
There's a third model and it's Houston who now has at minimum a 3 year window.
Jd doesn’t have to be Mahomes , he can be burrow level and still contend . Who wants to start over after 3 years ? I see the Texans window being much longer then that

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jd doesn’t have to be Mahomes , he can be burrow level and still contend . Who wants to start over after 3 years ? I see the Texans window being much longer then that
We agree, JD, only has to be himself and not Mahomes. I don't see what some people claim that they do in Burrow beyond an injury prone copy of Herbert, but oh well.
The point about windows is once you have to pay your QB, you can't stack your roster with high end players, therefore closing that prime window. Sure there are other ways to win a SB, after paying your QB but it's far more difficult. The Only reason a player like Aiyuk is difficult to sign, Deebo doesn't have a new contract already and extending Williams another year or two is because next year they have to make a decision on Brock Purdy. They have to either pay him and lose some guys or replace him and keep that core group together. The salary cap doesn't allow both things to happen.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We agree, JD, only has to be himself and not Mahomes. I don't see what some people claim that they do in Burrow beyond an injury prone copy of Herbert, but oh well.
The point about windows is once you have to pay your QB, you can't stack your roster with high end players, therefore closing that prime window. Sure there are other ways to win a SB, after paying your QB but it's far more difficult. The Only reason a player like Aiyuk is difficult to sign, Deebo doesn't have a new contract already and extending Williams another year or two is because next year they have to make a decision on Brock Purdy. They have to either pay him and lose some guys or replace him and keep that core group together. The salary cap doesn't allow both things to happen.
not true , you can stock your roster with high end players by drafting them and supplementing them with FA and coaching

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
gotta draft those bottom 5 game day slots, and hope team health issues doesn't push them to larger roles b4 their ready. Gotta draft 3 strong contributors each draft season. Bottom 10 spots are yearly jump balls for all NFL teams.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i didnt like the selection of han and said so when we made the trade . we botched the return overdrafted guys by their ratings and it has bit us in the ass . you cant pass on difference makers in round 1 and RR did

i like robinson i think he turned out to be a good pick but we lost every other player drafted in that trade while passing on better talent

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
to the topic:
your team CLEARLY helped the eagles this year with this trade. If you guys had our teams over the last ten years or so...I know darn near everyone of you here would stomp their feet. Why the hell is washington gift wrapping the division for philly ONLY to also pay a pick 130 something for pick 80 somthing?

Now if the SF crybaby arrives in a few days...good stuff, otherwise...washington still washington

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not true , you can stock your roster with high end players by drafting them and supplementing them with FA and coaching
Now that would be a very neat trick! You're winning SBs or getting close and drafting at or near the bottom of every draft. Where are these high-end draftees coming from? Further, free agents will be costly, especially the type you will need to maintain the status quo. Patrick Mahomes is an anomaly, what's happening in Kansas City is a tribute to him, not them!

In as much as stocking your team with draftees and free agents, are you paying any attention to what's happening in S.F.? Cincy? Miami? Baltimore?Dallas? Buffalo? Philly? and possibly Cleveland and the Jets? All are pretty well-stocked teams and they all are facing a time where the QB investment is adversely affecting the team.

(...And that doesn't account for team success leading to team and personnel losses... newest to this will be the Lions, Packers, and possibly the Falcons,)

We talked about the 49ers

Cincy:
had to decide between Chase and Higgins, they now have one season to get it done before further dissolving the unit. (Mixon and Boyd).
Miami: Just paid perhaps overpaid Tua
Baltimore: losses include 3 of their four starting OL, a few defensive stalwarts and they still don't have the high-end wideouts.
Dallas: will either go over the cap or have to choose between Lamb and Dak with a new Parsons deal looming. (3 players eating most of the cap)
Buffalo: Questionable move gambling on their QB who was seen as a bust before acquiring Diggs, now he's gone and there are no set replacements in place.
Philly: Supernatural funk or QB got paid? meh!, either way
Cleveland: A well-stocked team, and plenty of questions about their QB who is among the highest paid at the position.
N.Y. Jets: A highly paid psychopath at QB who's aging (40) and likely a shell of himself.

Perhaps you get one year of glory from any of these arrangements, but reading your posts, I'm convinced that you want these guys to build teams that are title contenders for years to come, correct?

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other than the jets and browns and cincy these teams have been contenders long term . And how are they doing it ? By drafting well . Sure you lose guys but they draft their replacements

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash