• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jags to announce '13 London opponent Thursday, 49ers an option

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Jags announcing 2013 London opponent on Thursday | ProFootballTalk

When alot of us were on the ESPN boards, many went crazy when the 49ers offered back then to play in Mexico and then London. Some didn't like it because they perceived it as a competitive disadvantage and said the team only cared about money. What they didn't know then at the time, which was later revealed in an interview by Goodell, is that the 49ers were told that every team would be chosen to play in London over many years and the 49ers thought it was a good time to do it then before the new stadium was built.

The article does not mention it, but unless the 49ers really want to go back to London, or if the NFL goes back on what they originally said, it's unlikely the 49ers will be chosen to play there again next year.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
San Francisco 49ers – Niner Insider Blog – SFGate.com London calling 49ers? Jaguars? 2013 opponent will be revealed Thursday

As much as I would love for the Cardinals to be stuck with this long trip, I don't think it should happen. They mentioned how division rivals never play their game abroad and how only this year has two teams from the same conference play each other abroad (Bucs and Bears). If the Cardinals were chosen, that'd be three NFC West teams going abroad since 2007, which seems a bit unfair, albeit I don't know the opponents that well. Niners played Denver, Rams play New England, and if chosen, the Cardinals would play the Jaguars. Or should the Cardinals be chosen because the other NFC West teams had to do it? Seattle would be next (2014).

dlockwood8

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since the Niners have now been confirmed for this (There is another thread about it), there is one thing I wonder about. Since they have gone to London so often won't a lot of Londoners naturally start becoming Niner fans. And, if that's the case won't the NFL continue to "suggest" they go there for games.