• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jadeveon Clowney Scouting Profile

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Greg Hardy fell mainly because of injury concerns.
But even if he was healthy he still would've dropped to around the 2nd or 3rd because he was out of shape and 'inconsistent'

Pick Analysis: Greg is an excellent combination of size and athleticism. He has the ability to defend the run effectively when he keeps his pads down and gives effort but is inconsistent in this area. Greg is a solid reactor that finds the ball quickly and maintains leverage on the edge. He has good range when he decides to play hard but his motor doesn't always run hard. Hardy doesn't appear to have enough athleticism or versatility to contribute as a stand up defender but is talented and could be an excellent starter as a 4-3 defensive end. Durability, toughness and consistent effort are concerns.

Clowney will be fine

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has no motor, and it seems like no passion for the game. Terrell Suggs had 23 sacks in college and he took plays off at times. I think he will be good but not a consistent pro bowler.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
But even if he was healthy he still would've dropped to around the 2nd or 3rd because he was out of shape and 'inconsistent'

It's hard to tell if he would have or not. His playing hurt could have had something to do with his consistency. Injury (and work ethic) are big factors that are hard to evaluate when it comes to NFL propects; and those are big reasons even the best GMs get it wrong a lot.

Clowney will be fine

Totally agree. I think his slow start this season was attributed to way too much partying (his so-called flu like symptoms smelled a lot like a hangover), but he was still a dominant force in games he had zero sacks. He's a rare specimen, and anyone who takes a QB over him will sorely regret it IMO.

TexasMan

mfw reading SportsHoopla
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mario Williams part deux:

Has incredible skill set and measurables, but I don't think he loves playing football.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have seen him in games where just the LT worked him and he had little success. Some of us remember Brian Bosworth and understand college hype does not always equate to NFL success.

Please...I know you only used his name as a reference, but BB had to be a marketing major or something because he had no business being a starting LB in the NFL.

On Clowney...I watched a lot of the TN & UGA games...UGA blocked him man up mostly and so did TN (their LT is a projected 1st rounder)...he played very well vs TN and decent vs UGA. I think he's going to be a good player...I think his advisors have a lot to do with this season not being a great one, but when you're projected to go #1 overall before camp even starts I understand how that can change things and quite honestly I don't blame the kid.

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please...I know you only used his name as a reference, but BB had to be a marketing major or something because he had no business being a starting LB in the NFL.

On Clowney...I watched a lot of the TN & UGA games...UGA blocked him man up mostly and so did TN (their LT is a projected 1st rounder)...he played very well vs TN and decent vs UGA. I think he's going to be a good player...I think his advisors have a lot to do with this season not being a great one, but when you're projected to go #1 overall before camp even starts I understand how that can change things and quite honestly I don't blame the kid.

All I am saying is that he is not the dominant player he was last year because teams have figured him out. And I have seen to many hyped college players be complete busts or average NFL players. There is huge diff between college and NFL

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I am saying is that he is not the dominant player he was last year because teams have figured him out. And I have seen to many hyped college players be complete busts or average NFL players. There is huge diff between college and NFL

I put that on the coaches moreso than on Clowney...after last season of course teams were not going to just let him line up and beat their LT to a pulp all game...he is getting chipped a lot more because SC is still lining him @ RDE instead of moving him around the formation, creating 1 on 1 matchups, etc.

You can slow down any one player on DEF, especially if you know where they are going to be.

I think we've all seen a lot of high picks go bust in the NFL...if I had to wager today, I think Clowney will be a long time (5+ yrs) starter in the NFL...not saying he will be a star, but unless there is a lot more behind the scenes, I don't think he will be a bust.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I put that on the coaches moreso than on Clowney...after last season of course teams were not going to just let him line up and beat their LT to a pulp all game...he is getting chipped a lot more because SC is still lining him @ RDE instead of moving him around the formation, creating 1 on 1 matchups, etc.

You can slow down any one player on DEF, especially if you know where they are going to be.

I think we've all seen a lot of high picks go bust in the NFL...if I had to wager today, I think Clowney will be a long time (5+ yrs) starter in the NFL...not saying he will be a star, but unless there is a lot more behind the scenes, I don't think he will be a bust.

This plus I would say right now the kid is relying way too much just on raw talent alone. In college he is using only two pass rushing moves...The swim move and the bull rush. That is fine for college but my guess is the pro-level coaches will work with him on adding to his arsenal. When JPP came out of college he was in that same boat. Coaches started working on refining that raw talent into something more and he quickly has become one of the more feared pass rushers in the NFL. Not saying Clowney will be able to do the same thing but coaches seem to look more at the raw skills that a player has than actual production on the field at times. They obviously like to have both but his just natural abilities will attract some team like crazy.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This plus I would say right now the kid is relying way too much just on raw talent alone. In college he is using only two pass rushing moves...The swim move and the bull rush. That is fine for college but my guess is the pro-level coaches will work with him on adding to his arsenal. When JPP came out of college he was in that same boat. Coaches started working on refining that raw talent into something more and he quickly has become one of the more feared pass rushers in the NFL. Not saying Clowney will be able to do the same thing but coaches seem to look more at the raw skills that a player has than actual production on the field at times. They obviously like to have both but his just natural abilities will attract some team like crazy.

To be great at this level, you need a great base skill package and he has that. The next thing is honing your trade, development, learning, and more learning...Jerry Rice will tell anyone that will listen...he came into the league not a whole better than many of his peers, but the tireless effort that he put in away from the practice field made him a HOF player.

He's a little bigger, but a guy he reminds me of a little is Ziggy Ansah now playing in DET, and having some good success...but he has 2 probowl caliber DTs to handle the heavy lifting. I've said in other threads...bottom feeders...if Schiano doesn't get canned he looks to be a good fit there...ATL doesn't have great DTs, but they are active, and with Osi on the other side, I think he's a good fit there. JAC likely to go QB, HOU plays a 3-4, but imagine him on the DL with Watt. Several teams down there that I think he will have an immediate impact on.

Bulldog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is a guy that plays on the edge who constantly demands double teams. That is fantastic

My question is what would be his motivation once he has the large signing bonus and contract. He seems to want to play at a high level when he feels like it. His talent isn't in question, it's his work ethics.

Last edited by a moderator:

elijah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,097.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was going to listen to the guys who told me to just wait a bit, but this thread got a decent amount of discussion so I'm going to go ahead and post my scouting thread now.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he relies a little too much on his God given talent. If you look at how he started the year I get the sense that he doesn't do much if anything during the offseason which is probably why he was gassed by the second half of most of the games I saw him play early in the season. The sky is the limit but I'm not sure he has the drive to become the best.

flaraider

The Real Deal
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he relies a little too much on his God given talent. If you look at how he started the year I get the sense that he doesn't do much if anything during the offseason which is probably why he was gassed by the second half of most of the games I saw him play early in the season. The sky is the limit but I'm not sure he has the drive to become the best.

I saw a few USC games this year, and really didn't see much from Clowney, the work ethic question is a big one for me, the Raiders have been notorious acquiring these type players, I guess we will see how the team has progressed since AD has been gone. Truthfully, it appears the kid has been riding that Youtube replay all year, injury issues could also be another flag.

We certainly didn't go with a flashy pick last year, so I think I would be surprised if we took Clowney if he fell our way. Hayden had his own risk, but I don't think his work ethic is in question.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's gonna go high for sure, but all the hype last year has dwindeld and justifibly so. Now that teams are game planning for him he appears to be only slighlty above average.

:laugh3::laugh3::laugh3:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Laugh all you want its absolutely true

Yea, but that would apply to almost any DL...especially a DE. The big hit in the bowl game made him a star more than his body of work to that point, so yes he was overhyped...no question.

Bottomline here imo...whomever is advising this kid has probably told him, this season means nothing, don't get hurt. As far as Clowney goes, that's true....sad, but true.

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, but that would apply to almost any DL...especially a DE. The big hit in the bowl game made him a star more than his body of work to that point, so yes he was overhyped...no question.

Bottomline here imo...whomever is advising this kid has probably told him, this season means nothing, don't get hurt. As far as Clowney goes, that's true....sad, but true.

Exactly to some degree he is a One Hit Wonder. I also think you might be onto something, someone advised him just don't get hurt and you'll get payed. Which is why he does not look so spectacular this year. Shame really.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly to some degree he is a One Hit Wonder. I also think you might be onto something, someone advised him just don't get hurt and you'll get payed. Which is why he does not look so spectacular this year. Shame really.

It is a shame. Kind of crossing the line of being a hypocrite here because if it were my son I may look at this differently.

That's the beauty of the new rookie contracts...they're not getting these "instantly set for life" type contracts anymore for the top picks...if you're really going to make big money playing in the NFL...you must prove you're worthy of a mega second contract now...much much better.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's exactly what Chandler Jones did who was drafted by your Pats and he still turned out to be pretty decent.