• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

It's up to Wilson to save Seahawks' offense from front office's poor decisions

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An interesting read but ya need to click the link for the full article:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/it-s-u...-from-office-s-poor-decisions--044403583.html

After all, that's what this is about. From this moment forward, it won't be good enough to just win the division or a playoff spot. It's about getting to the point that Seattle can score, win out and keep from having to go to Green Bay this postseason. That's where this Seattle offense is at. It needs to play at home. There aren't enough offensive pieces to propel it to another run. Lynch isn't healthy enough to shoulder the load as he did in 2013, and the defense can't hold the fort forever.

Of course, Seattle won't admit that. It doesn't fit with the chosen concept. Instead, players use key phrases, like tackle Russell Okung saying, "We're playing our type of ball," and safety Earl Thomas saying "We have no fear," and are "really connected now." All of which is fine. The team is gaining momentum and just beat a good NFC playoff contender in a tough environment.

But the fight will be different this year because Seattle has only some of the hallmarks of last season's Super Bowl winner. Poor personnel decisions have cut a swath through this offense. As much as wideouts like Doug Baldwin and Jermaine Kearse have stepped up, the big-play ability from last season is still lacking. And that falls on the front office. Consider: Not recognizing Golden Tate's value was a remarkable misstep, particularly after watching Tate hold down the No. 1 wideout spot in Detroit while Calvin Johnson was down. And his contract – five years and $31 million – would have been an extremely cheap price tag for a No. 1. But of course, that was when the Seahawks thought Harvin could be counted upon.

That brings us to debacle No. 2: Trading valuable draft picks for Harvin and then essentially begging someone to take him in an early season fire sale. Not only did Seattle lose quality draft picks, it created a perceived divide in the locker room over Wilson's involvement and rankled Lynch. To repeat, Harvin remaining played a big part in the Seahawks' lack of urgency in retaining Tate.

All of which led to mistake No. 3: Seattle spent a second-round pick on inconsequential wideout Paul Richardson, who was eyed as the eventual next man up behind Harvin once Tate bolted. Thus far, Richardson has delivered almost nothing. Meanwhile, multiple wideouts drafted after Richardson (such as Jarvis Landry, Allen Robinson, Martavis Bryant and Davante Adams) have all filled major roles elsewhere this season.

More than anything, those issues created a new growth curve for Seattle and Wilson in particular which isn't supposed to happen the year after you win a Super Bowl. Typically a championship signals a window being open, with the right pieces in place. It doesn't always happen that way, but Seattle surely looked to be in the right spot before the Harvin fallout tore up the team as it headed toward midseason.

That growth curve is largely why Wilson hasn't taken a monumental step forward this year. If anything, he has looked off the pace of his first two years in the league, when he was branded a game manager. Year three was supposed to be when he took a stride to step into an elite class, or something close to it. And while he has been solid, rarely has he been consistently exceptional. Sunday looked more like the latter.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) Tate pulled some crap that 's unforgivable. Hurt to see him go since he's the perfect #2 WR, but still. Buh bye.

2) Harvin is athletically gifted, but at total grade A 5 alarm angry racist psycho off the field. He ended up a bust and we cut our losses. If this guy can't handle Pete Carroll as a coach, good luck finding anyone else to coach this tool. Have fun on the Jets.

3) WR's take time to develop. We run the ball alot to open up the running game. Richardson's development was restricted while Harvin was on the team as they are similar in roles. Harvin's gone and I've seen Richardson out there contributing more.

Were 9-4 and looking good for a playoff bid. At least we have a front office that is willing to cut bait on mistakes like Harvin, instead of wasting entire seasons delivering a subpar to trainwreck product.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wilson has been amazing when you consider we don't have any real big time threats at receiver .... Baldwin is really good though, very under-rated .... While this article does point out a couple mistakes by the front office, I think Pete and John get a pass considering all the draft picks they've nailed over the last 4 years .... Percy was worth the risk, but in the end they gave up too much for him .... Letting him go was the right move though ... Seattle hardly used him last year anyway, and you can't have a guy fighting players in the locker room .... Pete built Seattle on defense, on offense were just dam lucky we drafted Wilson .... And getting Lynch from Buffalo wasn't a bad move either ...

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's pretty clear that Lynch and Wilson are the keys to the offense. No one is disputing that. It's also pretty obvious that if and when Lynch leaves Wilson is going to become more important to the offense. I don't think this really needed to be said. Anyway, after reading the article there are a few things I'm not sure that the author really understands.

First of all, what a "naked bootleg" is. I guess he's never seen a read option play before because that's all that TD run was. I suppose maybe if you get really vague with the description of a bootleg this guy may have a point, but ultimately it just sounds stupid to use that term in this case.

Second, how much Percy Harvin contributed to the SB championship last year. He states "And unlike 2013, when Harvin provided a needed talent infusion for the stretch run, there is nobody coming to the rescue in the coming weeks." What exactly did Harvin contribute to the stretch run last year? He had one decent kick off return and a few catches against Minnesota and I believe one catch against the Saints in the regular season meeting. He definitely had an impact in the Super Bowl, but I think it's safe to say they would have won that game without him and I think most Hawk fans would agree the offense has looked more efficient with Percy gone.

Third, how much Wilson already does for this offense. I guess if this guy wants to get on him for not doing enough he can, but Russ has been making plays out of nothing all season. You can call him out for not being consistently excellent, but what QB other than maybe Rodgers has been this season?

Fourth, what types of teams win games in January. He makes a big deal out of Seattle having to play in cold weather in Lambeau while completely ignoring the fact that teams that run the ball and play good D tend to have an advantage over teams that air it out in those situations. Not taking anything away from Green Bay, they're playing great ball right now. But the author seems to think the weather is going to be a bigger obstacle than playing a good GB team.

As for the points on the WRs

1. Yeah letting Tate go was a bad idea looking at it now. But we can play the Captain Hindsight game in all sorts of situations. Doesn't mean it was a necessarily a bad decision at the time with the given information.

2. Again, the Percy trade ended up being a bad idea in hindsight. Harvin had his issues but nobody thought he was going to be THAT big of a locker room problem.

3. Richardson hasn't been amazing, but like others have said he may take some time to develop. Tate wasn't a huge contributor his first season. I doubt many of the other WRs taken in the draft would be putting up the numbers they are currently putting up if they were in Seattle. Again look at Tate. Filled the #1 role nicely in Detroit with Megatron out and put up huge numbers. Was the #1 in the Seattle offense and had nothing close to that.

Yeah I know, TL;DR. Author made one or two decent points but really doesn't seem to know what he's talking about overall.

Last edited by a moderator:

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lambeau seems to be ragging the Seahawks a lot recently. Think someones got their jimmies rustled that the Hawks and looking like a prime candidate for the NFC championship game against his packers.

Keep trashing us if it makes you sleep better at night. Won't matter. We utterly destroyed you on national tv once this year. Can happen again.

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lambeau seems to be ragging the Seahawks a lot recently. Think someones got their jimmies rustled that the Hawks and looking like a prime candidate for the NFC championship game against his packers.

Keep trashing us if it makes you sleep better at night. Won't matter. We utterly destroyed you on national tv once this year. Can happen again.

Just trying to even out some of the things posted on the board. All teams have their good things and things that are not as good. It is just so hard to find anything bad about the Seahawks and saw this article tonight. The article is dated Dec 7th so is not some old info that was dug up I did not even search for it as it was in the Yahoo home page which is my home page that loads when I turn on my comp.

And just how am I trashing you sharing an article of someone elses thoughts?

I dont think the Packers are being trashed everytime I see everyone talking about the 28th ranked rush defense and how much they suck. That is just how it is.

I am not at all worried about who any playoff team may be at this time. Based on the past recent history of the Packers there is no reason to think that they are already going to be in the championship game. A team needs to win at least one playoff game to get that far and the Packers have not done that very well as of late.

I take the season a game at a time. In 3 weeks Rodgers could be out with a broken collar bone or Wilson could be injured as well.

If the Seahawks and Packers do play in the playoffs I am sure from what I have read here that the Packers will stand no chance and will be destroyed by the Seahawks again on national TV. And if that happens I will come and say good game and will be on to next year

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/it-s-u...-from-office-s-poor-decisions--044403583.html

After all, that's what this is about. From this moment forward, it won't be good enough to just win the division or a playoff spot. It's about getting to the point that Seattle can score, win out and keep from having to go to Green Bay this postseason. That's where this Seattle offense is at. It needs to play at home. There aren't enough offensive pieces to propel it to another run. Lynch isn't healthy enough to shoulder the load as he did in 2013, and the defense can't hold the fort forever.

Of course, Seattle won't admit that. It doesn't fit with the chosen concept. Instead, players use key phrases, like tackle Russell Okung saying, "We're playing our type of ball," and safety Earl Thomas saying "We have no fear," and are "really connected now." All of which is fine. The team is gaining momentum and just beat a good NFC playoff contender in a tough environment.

But the fight will be different this year because Seattle has only some of the hallmarks of last season's Super Bowl winner. Poor personnel decisions have cut a swath through this offense. As much as wideouts like Doug Baldwin and Jermaine Kearse have stepped up, the big-play ability from last season is still lacking. And that falls on the front office. Consider: Not recognizing Golden Tate's value was a remarkable misstep, particularly after watching Tate hold down the No. 1 wideout spot in Detroit while Calvin Johnson was down. And his contract – five years and $31 million – would have been an extremely cheap price tag for a No. 1. But of course, that was when the Seahawks thought Harvin could be counted upon.

That brings us to debacle No. 2: Trading valuable draft picks for Harvin and then essentially begging someone to take him in an early season fire sale. Not only did Seattle lose quality draft picks, it created a perceived divide in the locker room over Wilson's involvement and rankled Lynch. To repeat, Harvin remaining played a big part in the Seahawks' lack of urgency in retaining Tate.

All of which led to mistake No. 3: Seattle spent a second-round pick on inconsequential wideout Paul Richardson, who was eyed as the eventual next man up behind Harvin once Tate bolted. Thus far, Richardson has delivered almost nothing. Meanwhile, multiple wideouts drafted after Richardson (such as Jarvis Landry, Allen Robinson, Martavis Bryant and Davante Adams) have all filled major roles elsewhere this season.

More than anything, those issues created a new growth curve for Seattle and Wilson in particular which isn't supposed to happen the year after you win a Super Bowl. Typically a championship signals a window being open, with the right pieces in place. It doesn't always happen that way, but Seattle surely looked to be in the right spot before the Harvin fallout tore up the team as it headed toward midseason.

That growth curve is largely why Wilson hasn't taken a monumental step forward this year. If anything, he has looked off the pace of his first two years in the league, when he was branded a game manager. Year three was supposed to be when he took a stride to step into an elite class, or something close to it. And while he has been solid, rarely has he been consistently exceptional. Sunday looked more like the latter.

I read the bolded selection and stopped for fear of injuring my brain beyond repair.

This is a thread started by a Packer fan who's butthurt about a few posts in which he was called out for being a hypocrite, about how the Seattle Seahawks front office is holding the defending Super Bowl champions and potential #1 NFC seed back. The same front office that has built this team from the bottom in 5 years and continues to land impact players, including Super Bowl MVPs in late rounds.

The only arguments I bothered to read are that Seattle can't score enough, that they need to avoid going to GB, and that Lynch isn't healthy.
- Scored enough to be 9-4
- Shut down Philly's offense on the road in the cold
- Lynch is always nursing a few bruises. Have you ever seen him run?! He's fine.

I get you having confidence in your offense, but this defense is better than GB's offense. It very well may be better than the defense that embarrassed the all time great 2013 Broncos offense.

attachment.php

BoBlake

Hoopla Cash
$ 937.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I stopped reading at "the front office's poor decisions."

I knew the author had no idea what he was talking about from there on.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From this moment forward, it won't be good enough to just win the division or a playoff spot. It's about getting to the point that Seattle can score, win out and keep from having to go to Green Bay this postseason. That's where this Seattle offense is at. It needs to play at home.

Needs to play at home? Why? Are they better at home? Well obviously what team isn't, that isn't bringing anything new to the table.

However Seattle is 13-6 in their last 19 road games (including playoffs) including winning the last two road games by double digits against two teams with winning records. Yet that "cant win on the road" narrative continues to follow them for some reason.

Look going to Green Bay is tough but I don't think its impossible for the Seahawks to win there just like I don't think its impossible for Green Bay to win in Seattle.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is just click bate, nothing more nothing less.

Criticizing this front office!!! LOL This front office completely over turned the last disaster of a front office whos last shining moment was drafting Aaron Curry number 4 overall.

What people fail to realize or recognize is Seattles a defensive first pound the rock team. Thats also btw, ELEVENTH in the league in offense. Are they Denver? no, but we saw what denvers O got them last superbowl.

Have they made mistakes? YES, but please find me the front office that has made zero mistakes. Ill wait....................... What they did is built a super bowl winning team, that controls its destiny to atleast a 2 seed in the nfc, and the 1 seed if GB loses once..........

But write, it and the clicks will come...........

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Create a negative thread about Seattle and you're butthurt or a hater lol.

The Seattle fans on here for the most part are a joke (Harold and a few more are solid) but that's about it.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Seahawks screwed up with Harvin. No question. Every GM makes mistakes.

That hardly means that the front office needs to be saved. Judging Richardson at this point is ridiculous.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's amazing that people still don't understand how effective an offense can be just by running and taking care of the ball.

Mondio

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually think the Front office for Seattle has been very good. They cut bait from their mistakes and move on rather than let someone drag them down. They've been fortunate they haven't had to pay their QB yet while making other moves, but overall how can you criticize? They let Tate go? Their defense is still pretty good, they have things up coming that will require tough decisions again, but overall they've done it mostly like you should. Again, I think they had a little wiggle room because of not having to pay a top tier QB and still benefit from having one, but they've used their money and roster spots pretty well all things considered.

North of Patagonia / South of Iguazu Falls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would agree with this... if your jimmies were not rustled, you would not be posting about Seahawks all the time.

Dolemite censored

Bigfoot is real
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Pssst.

The Ass Packers defense was exposed last night.

North of Patagonia / South of Iguazu Falls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually think the Front office for Seattle has been very good.

I would agree... Packers not much of a player in free agency, but really dropped off after Schneider/Dorsey left and most think it was Schneider who really pushed to make some of the splashes for Packers (Woodson, Pickett) and going after Lynch and Moss before they landed elsewhere.

I like Schneider a lot as GM, I would not mind seeing him back in Green Bay if TT leaves.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Seattle fans on here for the most part are a joke (Harold and a few more are solid) but that's about it.

Thank goodness we have you here to tell us how horrible the Seahawk fans are. All the time.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No way could you avoid commenting in this thread. Lol.
All NFL fans know that Percy was pie in the face to our FO. No doubt the worst mistake they have made and owned up by launching his ass. There was no way to hide it.
I would not trade this FO for any.
We are 9-4 and getting every teams best shot cuz we are the defending champs.

geezer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seattle is really the team GB fans fear most. HFA is everything in this match up but not an automatic win.
Being defending champions comes with a lot of negatives, loss of players to FA, everybody wants to get paid, and every team marks you on their calendar. But the positive is since it is rare to repeat, nobody can call you a failure if you get tripped up by a good team in the playoffs.

Not the case for GB. Without a superbowl, this season would be considered a failure. Same for Denver and NE. The fans have set the bar too high for these franchises.
Seattle is playing loose and having fun. GB almost choked on Atlanta at home. Which team do you think has the most pressure on them? Everything looks great for a GB playoff run except there is this cloud of uncertainty hanging over them at the end. They may have to play the Seahawks. That scares them as they have not had much success with them. That is the obsession GB fans have with Seattle.