• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Italy

MarineG8R

Anti-Dentite
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Florence (as well as some other Italian cities) suffer from too many tourists. That's why I recommend going during the "off" season, or exploring Southern Italy and Sicily. Besides better food, etc, the people in Southern Italy are nicer than the north.

I do recommend Bologna though, it it IMO the best "eating" city in Italy, They are right on the cusp of North and South and you get the best of both there, plus since it's in the heart of Italy's breadbasket, you have tons of fresh vegetables, fruits, etc

Agreed. Southern Italy was the best part of the trip. Wife and I hope to go back in late September/October when it's hopefully less crowded.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What didn't you like about Venice?

We just got back from Paris about a month ago and several Americans were on our guided tour that were doing more of a Euro trip...3 days in about 4 or 5 destinations and two of those we spoke with said they liked Italy (Venice in particularly) the least.

Just curious why you didn't care for it. Italy and Spain are on my wife's bucket list.

Venice imo is just too commercial/touristy....I went to Italy in June, and in Venice, it just felt like you couldn't walk 20 feet without someone shoving a menu in your face or trying to get you to go inside their souvenir shop. It's worth going just to see the sights, but I don't think you'd need more than two nights there.

We liked Rome (particularly the Trastavere section) and Florence much more than Florence...they're also touristy, but you can easily get away from the crowds.

Reactions: gob

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Venice imo is just too commercial/touristy....I went to Italy in June, and in Venice, it just felt like you couldn't walk 20 feet without someone shoving a menu in your face or trying to get you to go inside their souvenir shop. It's worth going just to see the sights, but I don't think you'd need more than two nights there.

We liked Rome (particularly the Trastavere section) and Florence much more than Florence...they're also touristy, but you can easily get away from the crowds.

Thanks...I've heard that Venice is not a very large town and grows to nearly 4 times in a size during peak tourist season. the Alaskan cruise is still the leader in the clubhouse, but maybe 2020 for another trip over the pond. Will look into Sept-Oct time frame also. My good friend and his wife just came back from Rome and said it was ideal compared to their summer visits.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks...I've heard that Venice is not a very large town and grows to nearly 4 times in a size during peak tourist season. the Alaskan cruise is still the leader in the clubhouse, but maybe 2020 for another trip over the pond. Will look into Sept-Oct time frame also. My good friend and his wife just came back from Rome and said it was ideal compared to their summer visits.
That would be a better time to visit Rome.

Venice is more likely to be flooded, though.