• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

It was long past due

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
for another "hockey is generally ignored in the States" article. Mike Freeman wants more offense, folks (I know, I was shocked as well).

There are various reasons why casual sports fans don't watch the NHL and they've all been stated before. But the most important bears repeating: Sports fans are demanding exuberant offensive displays. The NFL and NBA recognized this long ago and started adjusting their rules so offenses dominated and scores were high.

The following paragraph is mind-boggling (or is that mind-bottling?) :)

The NHL added changes to promote more power plays and shootouts but the league is still not fast-paced enough and there remain too many stoppages (the opposite of Olympic play).

Hockey, for the most part, has been slow to adapt to the public's desire for offensive explosions and the sport has paid for it (in some ways so has major league baseball).

More importantly, Americans are attention- and time-challenged. We're busy. We prioritize. We Tweet. We have our normal viewing habits and sports like hockey have failed to force a change in those habits and give the NHL a chance.

Olympic-sparked boost nonexistent as NHL toils in anonymity - CBSSports.com

Last edited by a moderator:

postmaster

RIP Steve
Hoopla Cash
$ 250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is obvious he doesn't watch the games.

maddogmark25

In the Pot Bunker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
not fast paced enough? you sure he didn't get the BA and the HL mixed up? Guy's a dope and needs to be ignored, reason hockey doesn't have more casual fans is because of idiots like him that post dumb crap like this and people believe it

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stoppages? STOPPAGES??? Don't talk to me about stoppages!! Look at the stoppages in the NFL or MLB! Stoppages??!??

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stoppages? STOPPAGES??? Don't talk to me about stoppages!! Look at the stoppages in the NFL or MLB! Stoppages??!??

I can only think of two sports with fewer stoppages: football (soccer) and well-played rugby.

Smoke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>NHL.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You posted that and your thing-a-ma-jigger says "I like turtles." Do you have any idea how much crap you just got yourself into on this board?
Oh the irony...not to mention he is most likely a fan of one of the Ohio NFL "teams" ;)

Smoke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, it was worth a shot :D

Ha! Well, I guess you were close. I once was a die-hard Browns fan, then once they moved to Baltimore I stuck with the to become a Ravens fan, and I'm glad. Or else I'd still be suffering like the rest of the Browns fans.

Smoke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually like hockey. My g/f got me into it about 5 years ago. A woman of all things got me more interested in a sport. LOL.

BostonAJ

They fucking won?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Looks like one of the turtles crawled off the island.

The biggest complaint I hear from nonhockey fans is that the game is too fast paced. Football, baseball and basketball are all very easy to follow even if you don't really understand the game. It takes a little savviness to appreciate hockey, and more than that to really understand what's going on in a game.

"Not fast paced enough." lol

dboy97

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Want to talk about stoppages watch the last two minutes of a basketball game, totally unwatchable garbage.

Smoke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Want to talk about stoppages watch the last two minutes of a basketball game, totally unwatchable garbage.

Not too mention the 50-60 fouls in the game before that. I liked the NBA once upon a time, but not so much anymore.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought this thread was about my utilities bill.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ha! Well, I guess you were close. I once was a die-hard Browns fan, then once they moved to Baltimore I stuck with the to become a Ravens fan, and I'm glad. Or else I'd still be suffering like the rest of the Browns fans.

As opposed to suffering like the victims of the Ravens players?

NJDevils_30

600+ Marty!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Hockey is king for me. The end to end action, physicality, and skill level displayed on a nightly basis makes it second to none.

I don't mind the NFL, I guess. I dunno, I don't have a favorite team so one of the big reasons I follow it is due to fantasy leagues and a few players I enjor watching (ochocinco, brees and andre johnson).

Like someone stated above, he's bringing up stoppages? You want to see breaks then watch a NFL or baseball game. wow What an extremely ignorant argument. Thats laughable.

Baseball is slowly losing popularity in this country and I can see why. Could the game get any slower? I can't comprehend how people can sit through a full baseball game on TV. Never will. I just went to a game last weekend and it was ok I guess. Drank some corona, had some dollar dogs and chilled with my friend, but the game itself was what I expected. Slow, dull and emotionless.

Basketball is pretty terrible as well. Haven't watched a full game in years. Playoffs are too predictable, the end of a close game is absolutely unbearable. Foul, free throws, quick shot, foul, repeat cycle. And ESPN hypes the sport like it's some thriving league. Not really considering the league as a whole lost 400 million this year and the ratings from the first round of the playoffs were trash.

I was raised in a huge hockey area and it was life growing up so maybe that's what I can't get into any other sport. I can't fathom how someone can say with a straight face that a sport like baseball is more entertaining than hockey. Boggles the mind.