• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Isaiah Battle?

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My prediction is that he gets drafted by Atlanta or Miami. Probably with a 3rd, maybe a 4th. don't see the Lions being in the picture here. They have no leverage giving up their 2016 3rd. If they're offering a 4th and another team wants him, they'll just offer up their 3rd, a luxury the Lions are without.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ZeroPercent.jpg

1_martin-mayhew.jpg

a-good-clown-image-6.jpg

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My prediction is that he gets drafted by Atlanta or Miami. Probably with a 3rd, maybe a 4th. don't see the Lions being in the picture here. They have no leverage giving up their 2016 3rd. If they're offering a 4th and another team wants him, they'll just offer up their 3rd, a luxury the Lions are without.
Agreed, but I believe it's a blind-bidding process, so if a team is willing to give up a 3rd (which is possible) they'd have to commit to that without knowing if another team (or teams) are willing to do the same...

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, but I believe it's a blind-bidding process, so if a team is willing to give up a 3rd (which is possible) they'd have to commit to that without knowing if another team (or teams) are willing to do the same...

Interesting. I didn't know that.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Truly I would be upset if Mayhew even put in a bid for Battle. He has baggage yes, but if you can't try drafting a 1st round talent with a 7th round choice who also had baggage. That would make no sense to me. I do understand one was facing a possible prison term. That part makes sense. However if you are suddenly going with all character kids. Stick with it, and don't waiver. That would be the part that makes no sense.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a Caldwell guy. I do not see much of a chance.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Truly I would be upset if Mayhew even put in a bid for Battle. He has baggage yes, but if you can't try drafting a 1st round talent with a 7th round choice who also had baggage. That would make no sense to me. I do understand one was facing a possible prison term. That part makes sense. However if you are suddenly going with all character kids. Stick with it, and don't waiver. That would be the part that makes no sense.
I think it's all about risk/reward. If we can get a 2nd round talent in the 5th or 6th, that may be worth the gamble on the character issues, imo.

But I think it's a moot point anyhow because I think he'll go in the 3rd to early 5th tomorrow, which is higher than we (in my opinion) can afford to go. Personally I'd put my 5th rounder out there and if that landed him then great, but I wouldn't count on him still being there...

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's all about risk/reward. If we can get a 2nd round talent in the 5th or 6th, that may be worth the gamble on the character issues, imo.

If it was about risk/reward with the new staff and mayhew -- they would have spent a 5th, 6th or 7th on a 1st round talent this past year, especially with a prospect who filled a big need on the team.

I have no issue with the high character approach. It is refreshing reading some guys say all the right things (like Tomlinson and Abdullah), instead of listening to them talk about themselves.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That example is not a good fit, Collins said if he was drafted any round after day 2 he would sit out a year and enter the draft the next year. If he had been drafted it would have been possible, since no one drafted him he was no longer eligible to re-enter the draft and had to sign. There was no scenario where any team was going to take him after round 3 after he said that.

Spending a 3rd rounder on a guy who was under investigation for murder(He is cleared now, but that was not clear during the draft) is a huge risk, even with him being a first round talent. I don't think anyone would have been upset if the Lions had done that though. I can see not taking the risk though.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In all honesty we should have spent that final 7th round pick on Collins. I'd take a 50/50 gamble on him over the 7th round talent we went with at the same position...

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In all honesty we should have spent that final 7th round pick on Collins. I'd take a 50/50 gamble on him over the 7th round talent we went with at the same position...

I would not sell Corey Robinson short though.

Like Mebert said, Collins was not going to sign. If there was even an inkling of a chance then 1 of the other 31 teams would have taken a stab. Cmon, even the Falcons did not do it. They have a college JV O-line right now and they passed.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Collins could not reenter the 2016 draft. You can only petition to be in one draft. He stock would not have been 1st round after sitting out a year anyway if he could have been drafted in 2016.

IMO he was not drafted because of that threat. IMO it was the possible charges he may have faced.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't researched this kid's "baggage" yet, what, exactly, did he do to get kicked off his team?

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Collins could not reenter the 2016 draft. You can only petition to be in one draft. He stock would not have been 1st round after sitting out a year anyway if he could have been drafted in 2016.

IMO he was not drafted because of that threat. IMO it was the possible charges he may have faced.

If you get drafted and sit out the year you are allowed to re-enter, it is in the CBA and it has been done before. If you are not drafted there is no language for or against re-entering the draft, which means that it is up to the nfl to interpret, they told Collins they would not allow it. If a team had user a 7th roungs pick on him the CBA was on his side, the NFL could not do anythign about it.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you get drafted and sit out the year you are allowed to re-enter, it is in the CBA and it has been done before. If you are not drafted there is no language for or against re-entering the draft, which means that it is up to the nfl to interpret, they told Collins they would not allow it. If a team had user a 7th roungs pick on him the CBA was on his side, the NFL could not do anythign about it.

100% correct. Funny thing is my dumb ass spoke about Bo Jackson doing that same thing in the Collins thread. It's a UDFA that can not enter the following years draft.

In a nutshell I don't think his threat meant anything. Every GM knows his stock, position or value would be less next year. IMO he had no leverage to attempt for more money in 2016.