• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Todd Gurley a System Player?

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But that first time, Gurley was stopped by the end zone 5 times (3 TD's and 2 for 2 on 2pt conversions). Not really a game I'd brag about when the guy puts up 22 points on the ground in less than 3 quarters of play. He didn't break a big one, but that happens.

The Bears was probably their best game as a run D. bottled up Howard, only gave up one rushing TD, and sure Cohen averaged 10 yards a carry on his 5 carries but overall pretty solid. Probably their premier game and vs. a Bears team that is 28th in YPC where you'd expect it to be.
So take 3 carries away. I’m still assuming u didn’t read next gen stats

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So take 3 carries away. I’m still assuming u didn’t read next gen stats

Yes. The question with next gen stats I guess would be do you think CJ is going to average that 6.5 yards after contact (career best) like last game, or will it be more around his 2.3 after contact like his career average going forward. If it's the latter, He'll probably be at 4-4.4 a carry going forward. If it's the former then Jim Brown needs to relenquish his reign as the best back ever.

The first was not Gurley's best game. And not the O-lines best game (On average Gurley was hit about .5 yards behind the LOS in that game about 3 yards back from their average).

But you've seen this. Bell last year. 32 rush YPC and 3.2 a carry per game vs. Cleveland. Connor this year 141 YPC and 5.1 a carry. Does that mean you offer Connor a much bigger contract than you were willing to offer Bell? Nah, I've seen enough of Bell and enough of Connor at this point to say while Connor is a great fit and makes sense when considering the financial cost between the two, Bell has been the better back.

CJ probably won't average 6.5 a carry AFTER contact for any sustainable amount of time. One thing I do like from a fit perspective is while CJ isn't the route runner that Gurley is, he's been an absolute elite pass blocker the past few years (not knocking Gurley here who's also good), so while you lose a weapon in the pass game, you can still run that 11 personnel the Rams love that forces teams to not be able to stack the box by keeping him in on 3rd down.

So yes, the scheme I'm sure helped him and that line. But he put together his best game of his career from his own personal perspective... NE game a few years ago being probably his 2nd best now.

That's I think where people get a little too wrapped up in that first game. Happened with DeAngelo Williams a few years ago with his Oakland game. Then he returned to earth. Then the next year same thing with the Washington game. Then back to earth again, and he got people twice. It happens a lot in the NFL.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. The question with next gen stats I guess would be do you think CJ is going to average that 6.5 yards after contact (career best) like last game, or will it be more around his 2.3 after contact like his career average going forward. If it's the latter, He'll probably be at 4-4.4 a carry going forward. If it's the former then Jim Brown needs to relenquish his reign as the best back ever.

The first was not Gurley's best game. And not the O-lines best game (On average Gurley was hit about .5 yards behind the LOS in that game about 3 yards back from their average).

But you've seen this. Bell last year. 32 rush YPC and 3.2 a carry per game vs. Cleveland. Connor this year 141 YPC and 5.1 a carry. Does that mean you offer Connor a much bigger contract than you were willing to offer Bell? Nah, I've seen enough of Bell and enough of Connor at this point to say while Connor is a great fit and makes sense when considering the financial cost between the two, Bell has been the better back.

CJ probably won't average 6.5 a carry AFTER contact for any sustainable amount of time. One thing I do like from a fit perspective is while CJ isn't the route runner that Gurley is, he's been an absolute elite pass blocker the past few years (not knocking Gurley here who's also good), so while you lose a weapon in the pass game, you can still run that 11 personnel the Rams love that forces teams to not be able to stack the box by keeping him in on 3rd down.

So yes, the scheme I'm sure helped him and that line. But he put together his best game of his career from his own personal perspective... NE game a few years ago being probably his 2nd best now.

That's I think where people get a little too wrapped up in that first game. Happened with DeAngelo Williams a few years ago with his Oakland game. Then he returned to earth. Then the next year same thing with the Washington game. Then back to earth again, and he got people twice. It happens a lot in the NFL.
I
Like ur style and thoughts. I’d input more but can’t right now