• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is This Real About Kelenic?

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too late!!!

There's nothing for him to apologize for, these are his true feelings and he got caught.

The president/CEO also cant say what he said doesnt represent how the Mariners view and feel on these issues.

If what he views and what the Mariners view is completely different then why the fuck is he still in that position in the first place.

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know I am in the minority and will probably get attacked but I don't have a problem with half the things he said or did. I watched the entire 45 minute private interview that was leaked. What he said about Iwakuma was wrong like dude you really worried about 75k for an interpreter? If we had a potential to land a superstar from Japan or Korea and they cant speak English you ass better go pay whatever or whomever to an interpreter to make them more comfortable to sign and play for us.

The Julio Rodriguez thing to me was a little over blown during the interview he talked about what a great personality he was and that he was a good kid its just his needs to work on his English. I am all for being politically correct but my god a little criticism isn't that serious his English could use some work. Now the old rumors of saying Hispanic players are lazy and not good clubhouse players along with the lawsuit filed by Lorena Martin who serious problems.

Lastly, again I am in the minority but I have no problems with service time manipulation which is something that is done by all teams not just the Mariners. Lets be honest the reason why Kelenic wants to go to the majors is so that he can start chopping away at the service time so he can test free agency to go after a 400 million dollar contract at 27 and leave the organization as opposed to 30 like Kris Bryant. Great for him but doesn't really help the Mariners assuming both Julio and Kelenic are great talents we probably cant afford to pay both of them so one will be on their way out. It doesn't benefit the Mariners to rush Kelenic up and wait for Julio 2 years later and probably only have a good 3 years of both of them at the majors before Kelenic bolts for free agency. From the point of view of a player and his family I would be pissed but as a Mariner fan I would chose the later in keeping him in the minors.

Yeah I tried to read the whole thing as transcribed and just couldn't stick out... nor could my friend who'd love for someone to post exactly what was said that was so horrible... before we lose interest.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know I am in the minority and will probably get attacked but I don't have a problem with half the things he said or did. I watched the entire 45 minute private interview that was leaked. What he said about Iwakuma was wrong like dude you really worried about 75k for an interpreter? If we had a potential to land a superstar from Japan or Korea and they cant speak English you ass better go pay whatever or whomever to an interpreter to make them more comfortable to sign and play for us.

The Julio Rodriguez thing to me was a little over blown during the interview he talked about what a great personality he was and that he was a good kid its just his needs to work on his English. I am all for being politically correct but my god a little criticism isn't that serious his English could use some work. Now the old rumors of saying Hispanic players are lazy and not good clubhouse players along with the lawsuit filed by Lorena Martin who serious problems.

Lastly, again I am in the minority but I have no problems with service time manipulation which is something that is done by all teams not just the Mariners. Lets be honest the reason why Kelenic wants to go to the majors is so that he can start chopping away at the service time so he can test free agency to go after a 400 million dollar contract at 27 and leave the organization as opposed to 30 like Kris Bryant. Great for him but doesn't really help the Mariners assuming both Julio and Kelenic are great talents we probably cant afford to pay both of them so one will be on their way out. It doesn't benefit the Mariners to rush Kelenic up and wait for Julio 2 years later and probably only have a good 3 years of both of them at the majors before Kelenic bolts for free agency. From the point of view of a player and his family I would be pissed but as a Mariner fan I would chose the later in keeping him in the minors.
I dont think anyone is surprised that he thinks these things or even said these things. I am pretty sure there are others in his same position that do.

The bottom line is he represents a Major League Baseball team and this is 2021. You simply cant represent the organization this way. And for an organization that has specialized in being tone deaf and doing the wrong thing, this simply isnt acceptable.

Regarding the Kelenic stuff, I have no issue with it but I also prefer he not talk about contract stuff in public. And he was basically saying sign this deal or play in the minors which I feel is also very inappropriate.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I tried to read the whole thing as transcribed and just couldn't stick out... nor could my friend who'd love for someone to post exactly what was said that was so horrible... before we lose interest.
He took lots of subtle jabs at players, most of which are in the organization still.

catman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This reminds me of Calvin Griffith, Twins' owner, who said that Rod Carew was stupid to play for what the Twins could pay him back in the late '70s. He demanded and received a trade before spring training that year. The Twins did not get proper value for him, as he wanted out.
What the commissioner's office does to him is their decision, but something must be done to owners and managers that do stupid things like this.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will go on record as apologizing. I half assed gave him an excuse but after hearing it again. Yeah, screw him. He needs to go, but also that puts them in a tough spot because unless they bring in an intern CEO then that guy is going to want to clean house of everyone just to show the world that isn’t a Mariners issue but one dude’s issue.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will go on record as apologizing. I half assed gave him an excuse but after hearing it again. Yeah, screw him. He needs to go, but also that puts them in a tough spot because unless they bring in an intern CEO then that guy is going to want to clean house of everyone just to show the world that isn’t a Mariners issue but one dude’s issue.
knowing the mariners, it will be someone internal that will probably just keep the ship steered in a similar direction.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree in a sense. A couple of these things individually isn’t bad, but you can’t collectively say all those things and be in charge of any business.

You can walk back or have a PR spin in the language issue. Like the Iwakuma on its own is fine because Latin players have spoken on record on how it is an issue that Asian players get translators on the field but Latin players don’t and umpires break up meetings.

The Kelenic is something that you don’t say out loud if you are running an organization. Not only does that piss off one of your top prospects, but now the MLBPA will be filing a grievance and Manfred/other owners are going to be forced to fine the team.

The Latin players language thing was just idiotic. You got away with that a couple of years ago because Martin was portrayed as bat shit crazy. They don’t have a scape goat for that now.

All the other jabs could’ve been explained away with the simple it was a short interview and I meant X, Y and Z. This isn’t an inmates running the asylum issue, it is no one having any trust in the CEO and company can function. If you dislike the puppet master then how can they trust Scott or Jerry?

Last edited:

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe it's not just the "team" that needs a rebuild....Maybe it's the whole organization in need of a COMPLETE rebuild??? :thumb::noidea::suds:

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
knowing the mariners, it will be someone internal that will probably just keep the ship steered in a similar direction.
That is the most probable issue because Spring Training is started. But whoever it is (if he is let go) is about to have a serious issue with the MLBPA because it is now on record. The MLBPA has been crying foul over manipulating the service time issue since Kris Bryant but no one has been dumb enough to legitimately say it the way Mather did where he essentially gloated about it.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe it's not just the "team" that needs a rebuild....Maybe it's the whole organization in need of a COMPLETE rebuild??? :thumb::noidea::suds:
Lol well ya, but unless Jeff Bezo’s is ready to buy the Mariners there isn’t any feasible way for an top down organizational rebuild until 2022.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we are going on roughly 18 hours since this was released and still crickets from the Mariners. Every minute that goes by just makes them look worse.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we are going on roughly 18 hours since this was released and still crickets from the Mariners. Every minute that goes by just makes them look worse.
In a way, I think that is good (well for this situation, maybe not overall for us fans). Something that I haven’t really seen in the thread is that he isn’t just the President, he is a minority owner as well. No matter what statement they make, them removing him from his position doesn’t really do anything. So, just spitballing I am guessing they are trying to figure out a way not to just let him go as but trying to figure out get rid of his minority share/buyer or trying to figure out the finances to have Stanton or someone else to buy it. I am not 100% but I still think any sell even if minority shares has to go through the MLB offices.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mistake for the Mariners, they should have fired him. Letting him resign is a weak look.
It's the Mariners way of doing things.....It's ALL political

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mistake for the Mariners, they should have fired him. Letting him resign is a weak look.
Agree completely.

Also dont thank him for his service. Fuck that