• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is that Rondae Jefferson? or is Iggy back on campus?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Derrick Williams was a great dunker... so I don't mean this next statement as disrespectful to him... but we have not seen a dunk like this... off the dribble, around his man, then around another... and finishing by posterizing a third defender at the rim, since Hassan Adams and Andre Iguodala were in Cats uniforms.

827051630.gif

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Filthy dunk. His amazing wing span made this dunk look extra special. Iguodala 2.0 in the making.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
btw, in other high-flying Cats news... Stanley Johnson had a new mix put up on BallIsLife. These clips are from the Mission Viejo tourney, his first games as a senior in HS.

If any of you are in Southern California and have a chance to make it out to one of his games I highly recommend it. He is going to be special.

Last edited by a moderator:

520GGATO

Southern Arizona Servin'
Hoopla Cash
$ 85.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Rondae. You're fooling everybody else but you're not fooling me! I saw those secret rocket thrusters you keep hidden on the bottom of your shoes.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Serious respect to RHJ. That dunk was obnoxious; from the crossover to the finish.

But this dunk, almost doing the same thing (except against better competition), takes the cake since the Hot Sauce/Iggy days (imo). Splits the defenders, and then Singler realizes that he's on the tracks... and the train's coming through!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tfzTfXyzQo]Derrick Williams Monster Dunk vs Duke - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CTP.... I completely disagree. Obviously that was a huge dunk and the biggest win of Sean Miller's UofA career, but... it was not the same thing, at all.

Derrick did not create off the dribble, he was 5/6 from deep at that point and had a 6'10" (slow as hell) white dude guarding him. All he had to do was give a little shrug of his shoulders and Kelly came flying at him to challenge the shot. Once he got past that lame attempt at D, the lane was wide open, the basket was wide open, he was not challenged at the rim whatsoever.

Clearly Derrick Williams had far more impressive dunks in his 2 years on campus than Rondae has had in his 2 months... but DWill does not have the lateral quickness to cross his man like that. Derrick never had a dunk off the dribble like that one.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hahaha, nah it definitely wasn't the same. I just wanted to put that video up!

I will say though that Mullings playing so far off of RHJ on that play certainly gave him the window, and an opportunity to blow by him. It definitely was off the dribble though, and facilitated by a nice crossover.

I guess if I had to make a critique, I would just say that the most impressive part about this is the actual dunk, and not how he got there, or who he had to go through. Mullings was never within three feet of him, Buovak never even left his feet, and wasn't even in front of him, and Dixon only jumped about a foot off the ground, and he clearly wanted nothing to do with it.

The dramatics came squarely from RHJ jumping so high that his elbow was even with the rim, and of course the ferocity in which he threw it down. But given that the defenders were pretty caught off guard by it all, showed him no respect, and did a horrible job defending to begin with, I think that the scales were tipped in his favor, and he did a fantastic job of capitalizing.

Don't get me wrong, I think that was the best dunk I've seen in quite sometime (I'm also partial to the NJ dunk on Clemson's Mt. Baciu (just because he was 7'2", the dish from Solo was amazing, and Marquis Johnson was hilarious calling the play).

What about this one though? At least the guy was squared up, it was definitely off the dribble, and DWill basically showed the guy that there was nothing he could do to stop him (despite his best efforts).

This is close to tying RHJ, right??? Again, please don't in any way take any of this like I am downplaying RHJ's dunk in the slightest. That shit was hot fire. But I love me some DWill, too!!!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqCMY05xeX4]Derrick Williams Dunk vs. Wazzu #1 Top Play ESPN Sportscenter - YouTube[/ame]

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, no I am not discounting Derrick either, obviously he is one of the top 2, or 3 dunkers in UofA history.

As much as we want him to be successful at the 3 in the NBA, and being only 22 he has a lot of time to get there... he just isn't the type of player to change directions off the dribble. He is all about straight line drives, not about making his man go one way with his hips and then crossing back.

Rondae is the first player we've had at the UofA with that type of ability mixed with athletisism since Iggy and Hassan Adams. This is the type of play I'm talking about, herky-jerky, past defenders with the skill of his dribble. Something that Derrick has never been able to do and will never be able to do, unless he dropped 40lbs. His center of gravity is too high.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C97JM_A0uLU]Arizona Bound *Rondae Jefferson* Sickest Dunk In A High-school Game @YesgodTv - YouTube[/ame]

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hahahaha, damnit GS, why you gotta bring up old shit?!?!? I knew you were going to post this.

Winner: GS

Good debate.

I knew what you were talking about, just wanted to shoot the shit. RHJ is much better off the dribble. Fact is, he's just quicker, plain and simple. And then he has the athletic ability to finish with authority. His first step is already full-speed, and he has great body control. DWill is the guy who telegraphs that he is going to dunk in your face, and then he does. But he's not going to shake anyone. He never really caught anyone off guard on that. DWill dunked by will, and RHJ dunks by skill. Two completely different dunkers. So ultimately, I completely agree with your comparison. Good form, old boy!